JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most illegal attempts to buy guns online fail

Click on the link above to get the whole story.

Most attempts to illegally buy guns online fail, according to a study by federal investigators who found the internet serves as a small loophole for firearms purchases.

Federal agents posing as illegal gun buyers failed in nearly all of their dozens of attempts to purchase guns online, according to the multiyear study that tried to examine how current firearms laws could apply to purchases over the internet.

All 72 undercover attempts to buy guns through readily accessible internet sites failed, though agents did manage to make two buys out of sevens attempts through the more restrictive "dark web," according to the recent report from the Government Accountability Office (GAO).

Hmmmmm
Dark Web . . . Deep State . . . Could there be a connection?!?!?!? Inquiring minds want to know.
Does "Fast and Furious" ring a familiar bell???

Sheldon

people who cant own guns(by law) shouldnt be able to buy guns from any FFL so atleast they did good on that aspect. that being said...they know damn well where to get guns if they want to get guns.

just sayin.

I don't really think that study proves anything other than most gun owners are honest lawful people who do make an effort to not sale to a prohibited person.

Agree with Koda. Just shows most gun owners are more responsible than some would like you to think. Not surprised they got some buys from onion websites/forums since its where you go when you want illegal toys.

I don't really think that study proves anything other than most gun owners are honest lawful people who do make an effort to not sale to a prohibited person.

Isn't that the sort of thing we want to prove all the time to the anti's that claim the internet allows anyone to buy a machine gun off Amazon prime?

Isn't that the sort of thing we want to prove all the time to the anti's that claim the internet allows anyone to buy a machine gun off Amazon prime?
yes, and this study didn't prove that you cant buy anything on line. This story is mostly just right wing media bias that isn't helping the cause... its not that gun owners are honest, its actually illegal to sell to someone you suspect is a prohibited person.

Most illegal attempts to buy guns online fail
In 56 cases, sellers ultimately refused the transactions, either because they wouldn't ship a firearm or because they ended up nixing the transaction after an agent said they had been convicted of a felony or had other issues legally barring them from getting a gun.

Why would a bad guy admit hes a prohibited person if he wants to buy a gun on line to avoid a background check? He wouldn't...

Why would a bad guy admit hes a prohibited person if he wants to buy a gun on line to avoid a background check? He wouldn't...

Why would a bad guy admit he's a prohibited person if he wants to buy a gun to avoid a background check? He wouldn't...

See you can just remove online.

Why can't a prohibited person simply lie at a gun show? That sounds like a loophole to me. I can't tell if you are trolling or not, or are an Everytown plant.

I think you may be misinterpreting this statement in the article: "In 56 cases, sellers ultimately refused the transactions, either because they wouldn't ship a firearm or because they ended up nixing the transaction after an agent said they had been convicted of a felony or had other issues legally barring them from getting a gun."

You made the assumption that in all transactions the agents came out and said they were prohibited. Really the statement says the sellers refused to ship... OR the agent admitted they were a prohibited person. There was no information given about the agent's behavior on the case where sellers refused to ship. If you have a link to the GAO report, perhaps we could read it.

What I would like to see and read is a report on just where a criminal or prohibited person actually got their firearm.

Why try to buy a gun at full retail / going market price and run the risk of getting caught by the BGC?....when you could steal one or buy one from another criminal?

We all here should know just how difficult ( all the hoops needed to jump through ) it is to legally purchase a firearm...from a actual storefront , gun show or online...online from one of the "Big Seller" sites or even here from our classifieds.

Maybe the group who did the study in the OP , should just try and buy a gun online or watch one of us do it and see for themselves , just how "easy" you can buy a gun....
Andy

What I would like to see and read is a report on just where a criminal or prohibited person actually got their firearm.

Why try to buy a gun at full retail / going market price and run the risk of getting caught by the BGC?....when you could steal one or buy one from another criminal?

We all here should know just how difficult ( all the hoops needed to jump through ) it is to legally purchase a firearm...from a actual storefront , gun show or online...online from one of the "Big Seller" sites or even here from our classifieds.

Maybe the group who did the study in the OP , should just try and buy a gun online or watch one of us do it and see for themselves , just how "easy" you can buy a gun....
Andy

There have been some studies on this - I'm having a hard time remembering where I read them, but one did come to mind - a report put out on Frontline (PBS - they didn't conduct the study, just one of the outlets that reported on it) a few years back. According to the article, theft is at the bottom of the list as a way to obtain guns (something we're told often is at the top of the list). Instead, what they found (by interviewing convicted criminals) was the following methods:

#1 is Straw Purchase - usually done by a friend or family member. They stated they rarely trust anyone they don't already know to help them get a gun - which pushes black market sales down the list.

#2 was surprising - legal but unethical FFL's - they found 'dirty' gun dealers that were all too happy to sell to those who otherwise wouldn't be able to buy.

#3 was black market/street dealers

In another version of the same study, which I can't find at the moment, they also noted that one of the sources of guns were dirty cops that sold guns on the black market - that one was shocking, though it wasn't nearly as high on the list as other sources.

BTW, 'online sales' wasn't listed as a source in the study.

Here is a link to that article: frontline: hot guns: "How Criminals Get Guns" | PBS

Thanks etrain...I'm mostly surprised that theft came in at the bottom of the list....
I'll have to check out that link after school today when I have more time to read.
Andy

If you want to expand your search for other articles discussing the same study - look for "how criminals get guns cook county jail", you'll probably find more reports on that study.

It is interesting that online sales weren't even mentioned as a source.

I'll do that as well...but do I really want to know if some people in organizations that I am supposed to trust are illegally selling guns?....the world is scary enough....:eek:
( Just kidding kinda...I like having as much information as I can...from as many different viewpoints as possible )
Andy

You realise that there will inevitably be some kind of a spin put on this by the gun-haters?

The comment will read '...of all the persons approached during the course of this investigation, only 72 refused to sell a gun...'

tac

the straw man purchases are also common for gangs. They try to keep one or more people without a criminal record around to purchase guns, which conveniently get "stolen". They can also theoretically get a CHL and legally arm themselves when out and about, although I doubt they're worried about that.

Once those guns are off the books, and out of responsible peoples hands, they enters the black market. If you're an unscrupulous person dealing in drugs, trafficking, prostitution, etc., you will most likely know someone who knows someone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top