JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"I'll take it" Discussion

I have heard from a lot of unhappy people lately about getting beat out on deals, some I sympathize with, some I don't.

Things to consider:

When you are the first person to post "I'll take it" does that mean it's yours and you have a legitimate complaint if it's not? Maybe, maybe not!

Many people posts things at several forums, myself included, so is a first "I'll take it" here make you the legitimate rightful first buyer? No of course it doesn't!

Look at my recent thread as an example:
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30449
(Apologies to Andrew in advance for using him to make a point)

It looks like member "Andrew" asked first correct? No! I had a private email offer first and that private email guy bought it.

So does "Andrew" have the right to leave negative feedback because he thinks he asked first? No! Why? because I never agreed to a deal.

When you both agree to a deal and the seller sells to someone else do you have the right to leave negative feedback? Yes! The agreement was a two sided contract that one side broke!

So if you leave a guy a "deserved" negative feedback for his wrong doing does he have the right to leave retaliatory negative feedback?

Well it's not against the rules but you have to be a gigantic irresponsible douche bag to leave a guy negative feedback for your own irresponsible douche baggery!

Discuss!

I have faced that problem myself. Someone posts "I'll Take It!" in the thread and then assumes it is theirs. They do not see the six or seven e-mails or PM's you have already received.

Worse yet are the people that send you an offer but want to haggle. During the haggling you get a full price offer and sell the gun. Then they get all upset and say "I would have paid full price."

I have faced that problem myself. Someone posts "I'll Take It!" in the thread and then assumes it is theirs. They do not see the six or seven e-mails or PM's you have already received.

Worse yet are the people that send you an offer but want to haggle. During the haggling you get a full price offer and sell the gun. Then they get all upset and say "I would have paid full price."

I agree! That's what a call a "Conditional I'll take it" and in my opinion does not trump an unconditional "I'll take it" regardless of time.

How do you view this...

A first-in-line potential buyer responds to an ad, stating they are interested, but has one simple question (not about the price, and a question that can be answered with a simple yes/no/I don't know). The seller sees the response/question and chooses to ignore it, then later posts they responded to all and the first "I'll take it" gets it. The potential buyer is waiting for a quick answer while the seller later sells the item to someone else. The buyer has a 100% positive transaction record and does not know the seller.

How do you view this...

A first-in-line potential buyer responds to an ad, stating they are interested, but has one simple question (not about the price, and a question that can be answered with a simple yes/no/I don't know). The seller sees the response/question and chooses to ignore it, then later posts they responded to all and the first "I'll take it" gets it. The potential buyer is waiting for a quick answer while the seller later sells the item to someone else. The buyer has a 100% positive transaction record and does not know the seller.

It depends on the question If the offer is contingent on the answer then it is not a solid offer. If it is just a side note then I would be mad.

For example, if I just say "Do you have the original box?" I have not made a solid offer. If I say "I will take it. BTW, does it come with the original box?" I have made a clear offer. Now if I say "I will take it. Does it come with the original box? Will you take $20 less if not?" I have made the offer conditional and I have no claim.

How do you view this...

How does the person know he/she is first in line?

Some thing I would like to also post just for discussion. Who says the seller has to sell to the first person with a legit offer? Isn't it more of a courtesy?

Example:

Two guys make me the same offer. The second guy is a close friend that has done me favors and the other I don't know from Adam? I own the item shouldn't I be able to sell to whomever I wish so long as I made no agreement with the first guy?

Some thing I would like to also post just for discussion. Who says the seller has to sell to the first person with a legit offer? Isn't it more of a courtesy?

Example:

Two guys make me the same offer. The second guy is a close friend that has done me favors and the other I don't know from Adam? I own the item shouldn't I be able to sell to whomever I wish so long as I made no agreement with the first guy?
That is a given if you ask me.

I have also done similar when I know one person is just buying the gun to resell and the other person is buying because they really want it.

I have actually sold guns at a reduced price to people I felt passionately wanted the gun when I had full price offers from other people I knew where just buying for trading purposes or to make a profit on later.

That is a given if you ask me.

I have also done similar when I know one person is just buying the gun to resell and the other person is buying because they really want it.

I have actually sold guns at a reduced price to people I felt passionately wanted the gun when I had full price offers from other people I knew where just buying for trading purposes or to make a profit on later.

There are several of your guns I feel passionately about.........but college tuition is killing me so any donations are greatly appreciated! :p

It depends on the question If the offer is contingent on the answer then it is not a solid offer. If it is just a side note then I would be mad.

Point taken. On the other hand, I hope this does not lead to a lot of conditional offers that lock up a item in a queue and takes up the sellers time.

I once asked a guy selling an AR-15 if it is a carbine or mid-length gas system. He wrote back, "I don't know". A week later, later he wrote asking if I was still interested. I wrote back, "you never answered my question".

If I say "I will take it. BTW, does it come with the original box?" I have made a clear offer.

And if the answer is "there's no box", do you feel bound to follow through with the purchase if you really wanted a box with the product?

And if the answer is "there's no box", do you feel bound to follow through with the purchase if you really wanted a box with the product?

I do if I posed the question the way I did. If I posed the question in a way that implied I would only buy it if the box was included I would not. Of course I would also understand that I did not have any claim on the gun either because of the condition I placed on the offer.

How does the person know he/she is first in line?

The seller sees the response/question and chooses to ignore it, then later posts they responded to all and the first "I'll take it" gets it. So, at that time, the seller had no firm offer.

However, its the seller's choice to respond to a question or not. I always respond to questions/offers/trades (with "no, thanks" to unreasonable ones), to keep things civil and friendly on the forum.

I've only ever tried to purchase something on this forum twice, and both times the item has sold to a member who responded to the ad before me, but I have done lots of buying and selling on Craigslist over the last few years (non-firearm items). Whether my opinion carries much weight is your call...

In short, I think the buyer has the power to do what he chooses. He is offering something for sale, and has the right to choose the conditions of that sale, including the buyer. I agree that IDEALLY there is a buyer-seller etiquette that people attempt to follow (even if only to maintain positive feedback), but I don't think a potential buyer has the right to be annoyed/angry/livid because portions of his offer were less satisfactory to the seller than a competing offer, regardless of why the other offer was better (timeliness, geographic convenience, price, friend vs stranger, zodiac sign, etc.). At the end of the day, the seller can do what he pleases. He should have the courtesy to respond to buyers and let them know why they were not given the item, and any potential buyers should accept the fact that their offer was not as valuable as others. That's it.

Edit: In general, feedback should be reserved for substantive items. Sometimes I think that there should be a cool down period. Maybe you can't post feedback until a month after the deal or something.

The seller sees the response/question and chooses to ignore it, then later posts they responded to all and the first "I'll take it" gets it. So, at that time, the seller had no firm offer.

However, its the seller's choice to respond to a question or not. I always respond to questions/offers/trades (with "no, thanks" to unreasonable ones), to keep things civil and friendly on the forum.

I think it's good form to respond to all questions Pm or posted! I also think telling a guy he is second in line is good form too.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top