JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We shoot on the 2nd sunday of each month. Chickens start to fall at 9am. All are welcome and Juniors can shoot smallbore for free if they want to help set targets!

If you don't know what metallic silhouette is, check this video out and then come out to our next match! I guarantee the first time you smack a ram at 200 meters, you will be hooked!

It doesn't take much to compete and it's a lot of fun to just lay down and shoot! :)

Basics of the match.

You get 2 minutes to shoot each bank of five targets. You will shoot each bank twice for a total of ten shots per animal. You will shoot a total of 40 rounds per match.

Big Bore Full size and half size
Chickens are at 50 meters
Pigs are at 100 meters
Turkeys are at 150 meters
Rams are at 200 meters

Small Bore and Field Pistol
Chickens are at 25 meters
Pigs are at 50 meters
Turkeys are at 75 meters
Rams are at 100 meters

If you have a gun, but don't know where to begin, we will be more than happy to help you out! No gun? No problem! If you come out to watch, chances are someone will put a gun in your hands and let you have a go.

Always a great place to talk reloading and all things guns! Everyone is friendly and we are always welcoming new or returning shooters.

Looking forward to seeing you on the shooting line!

Open to the public at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, fired on the shilouette range. Drive straight through the gate and keep going straight past the trap field. Follow the signs to the silhouette range, its to the left of the 100/200 yard rifle range, look for the covered firing line.

I'm not sure of the costs.

Okay, so I want to try this. I have a .44 Mag, 7.5 in Ruger Redhawk with a 2x scope and a few questions:

1. How much accuracy do I need to have a reasonable chance of not having a miserable time. 4 MOA at 200 meters? 3 MOA? 2? If I have correct info, the hardest target is the turkey at 150 meters, and it has an approximate "body area" of 8 inches. Since 1 MOA at 150 meters is about 1.72 inches dividing that 8 inches by 1.72 gives me an "impact area" of about 4.6 MOA. So if I develop a load that holds 4 MOA or better I should have a reasonable chance of hitting the target assuming I do my part with the hold. Is my thinking correct here? I had a hunting load in years past that was around 3 MOA (at 100 yards) so I should be able to duplicate that again.

2. A 50 pound ram is a lot of mass to move. How much velocity do I need for reliable knock down with common .44 bullet weights such as 240 / 265 / 300 grain bullets? I'm also thinking two loads would be beneficial … a softer shooting short range and a full power long range load. Any thoughts? I'm not afraid to do this, when I used to shoot highpower I had loads for each range (200, 300 and 600).

3. Does anybody have any good links to the taco hold using a scoped revolver like mine? I can't seem to find much and would like some info as I start to try and learn the position.

Any other tips would be great as well.

Thanks!

Unless IHMSA has changed their rules, you'd have to remove your scope on that Ruger. You could ude it scoped in NRA Hunter Pistol, but shooting a .44 mag Ruger, the taco hold is out, as you'd smack your Ruger into your face unless you use creampuff loads. The "taco hold" is more for using rifle scopes on, say, a Contender pistol. I used an old Aimpoint sight, so could hold it either close or extended way out.
In 200 meter IHMSA, my gun of choice was a TC Contender, 10" stock barrel, in 30-30. 147 grain jacketed bullets and Accurate Arms 5744 powder. Shot a re 39 out of 40 matches with it. IHMSA had a standing class, a revolver class, production, and modified class.
xcept for the standing class, the position of choice was called the creedmore position. If you do this with a revolver, you must use a blast shield on your leg to protect you from the barrel to cylinder gap. I made one from a mud flap used on big freight hauling trucks, and a strap to hang it on my knee. Here's about the shooting position.

If you use this position and open sights, and can hold say a 4" group at 200 meters (220 yards), I think you'd do okay in the revolver class. Dan Wesson revolvers chambered for the .357 Maximum,m and .454 Casulls were the top choices in my day. Ruger's 10.5" Super Blackhawk was also a popular choice. Any .44 magnum load should knock the rams down, though a low hit will sometimes not be enough to topple it over.

NRA Hunter Pistol is shot standing only. Here is a quick Google search about that taco hold.

:

This should get you started. The NRA matches are only out to 100 meters, so power is not so important. That's why I used to see calibers like the old 32-20. .32 H&R Magnum, and my money gun was a Contender in .357 magnum, but used Federal .38 special brass and 110 grain JHP bullets over a moderate charge of Bullseye powder powder. and that Aimpoint sight. I won a lot of matches with that gun.

Mahalo birdmove!

I appreciate the detailed answer. I guess I know enough to be dangerous here. What I'm calling a taco hold is where I hold my extended eye relief scope over the top with my support hand. I have the hand far enough forward the there is no risk of a flash burn from the cylinder gap.

The revolver is far enough forward due to the necessary eye relief that there is nonway it will hit my face, even with very heavy 300 grain loads.

I push with the support hand and pull with the trigger hand, kind of like a reverse Chapman stance/ hold. Does thar make sense? I find I can steady the long barreled gun pretty well this way, better than a more typical hold as I would use on my semi's and service class revolvers.

I kind of developed this on my own as I never had any aquantences with folks who handgun hunted. I was hoping to find some discussion of stance and hold on the net but have only found a few pictures, and they are always the rifle scopes on skyscraper high mounts as you have mentioned.

I'm not going to get a new gun for this so I need to shoot what I have. I can take the scope off, but my vision with iron sights might be a deal breaker.

I know of the creedmore position but do not have interest in it. I received compression fractures in my neck and low spine while in the Corps, and have recently had my knees replaced so craning my neck and getting up and down are out.

So maybe this is not a game for me?
We'll see. I am planning on working up some loads for the Magnum as it's been sitting in the safe unused for far too long. Since that was in my plans the post here about shilouette seems like an omen beckoning me to give it a try.

So I will see if I can find a 2 MOA at 200m load for the gun as a starting point. While doing this I can see how much my vision might hinder me.

Again I appreciate the detailed answer and am happy to hear what anyone has to add!

Last Edited:
It's a fun game. Long ago I shot matches in VA.
Revolver standing class.
Used S&W Model 29 8-3/8". For rams 240 grain bullets over 22.0 2400. Everything else same bullet over 19.5.
Also shot the rimfire game with a long barrel Model 17.

DRRC stands for Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. That's where we shoot.

10 bucks for the first gun, 5 bucks for each additional. 5 bucks of first gun goes into target setter tip jug.

Don't get caught up on the rules. Come out and shoot. It's easier than you think.

Plus I know the match director and he says it's cool for his matches.

Could you give us some sort of hint on where this takes place on the 2nd sundays, and if is open to the public or members only. Costs involved??
I went to Douglas Ridge. They told me that if I didn't join either their club or the IHMSA organization that they would charge me $20.00 to shoot one gun thru the course one time. I shot once but that is too much to pay for one time. I ain't made of money. I won't go back.

I went to Douglas Ridge. They told me that if I didn't join either their club or the IHMSA organization that they would charge me $20.00 to shoot one gun thru the course one time. I shot once but that is too much to pay for one time. I ain't made of money. I won't go back.

WOW!!! That IS exorbitant... what a rip off! I understand driving people to membership, but at that rate they are driving people off!!!

By contrast, IDPA matches at LGRPC are $15 per match for a half day or more of shooting. Membership to IDPA or the range = not required. Same for .22rifle Steel Silhouette... it's $5 per round of 30 targets from 25yds to 150yds and no membership required. Half the $5 goes in the pot and is won by the top finishers.

Last Edited:
I used to compete in IHMSA matches. My home gun range was the Paul Bunyan Club on the South Hill near Puyallup. When they weren'thaving a match, some othef club within driving istance would be. I drove all over western Wahington state shooting in these matces. Exactly zero other gun clubs required me to join their clubs to compete. I was an IHMSAmember of course.

I urge anyone who hasn't tried this, go watch a match. My favorite gun was a T C Contender in 30-30 caliber. Very accurate, and in all the matches I shot, only one ram I hit way low faiiled to topple over. FUN!!

That's extremely disappointing to hear. They are struggling to get folks out to that match … now I see why.

Compare that to say the Rimfire Challenge at the same range. Eight stages of fire all for $7 per gun if not a member and $5 if you are.

La Grande Rifle & Pistol Club
I live clear over in the Tualatin valley, so maybe the next time I go east I can look it up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top