JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I read Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being, I realized you can just pee in the sink.
Those cheap pension rooms in Germany that I've stayed in, the ones with a sink in the room but no toilet. Shared toilet down the hall. I'm sure those sinks had been peed in thousands of times.

The lack of accuracy, of course is a guy thing. Growing up, I had to listen to one of my grandmothers mention a brother-in-law whom she claimed peed on the floor on purpose just to make his sister clean it up. As a little boy, this was amazing to me. As an adult, I'm more inclined to think it was carelessness. My own missus has remarked about how her brother was a careless one. I've always been pretty careful and if an accident occurred, I'd clean it up. I'd feel too guilty otherwise.

Wall urinals are very common in public places. Not so common in residential homes. Yet I've always thought it would be a nice little luxury to have one. Yeah, I know, someone here will tell us they have one. Like those who have bidets. But I'll bet a home wall mount urinal is rather unusual.

These days, in commercial construction, wall mount urinals are just that, simply clamped to a wall. In days gone by or in older buildings, do you remember the full length urinals that had the lower portion set into the floor? Tiled all around the drain area? I'm sure much more expensive to plumb and do the concrete work around the base. It's always a treat for me to walk into an older men's room and see the full length fixtures. Circa the 1960's, there was a kind of intermediate wall mount design where the drain area was scooped way out to catch errant streams and more of the drips. But these are not often seen now.

Many years ago, one of the Ford dealers my dad worked at had an interesting men's room. It had a stainless steel gang basin and a long, gang urinal. Both were mounted at about the same height from the floor. My dad said any number of times he'd go into the men's room and see a confused person peeing into the sink by accident. Once again, as a lad, I thought this was hugely funny.

One more interesting bathroom fixture. The circular gang sink, some with the foot pedal faucet control. They have these in one of the buildings at the Puyallup fairgrounds. One time I went in there and saw a guy whizzing into one of these.

Interesting intro thread. Welcome!

Since a few different style urinals have been mentioned, the capitol building in Salem, Oregon has some odd ones which I'm sure were purchased at great public expense:
1678348343210.png

I didn't even think to check the stalls to see what contraptions those held.

As for lack of accuracy being a guy thing, have you heard of the "Shewee"? Equal opportunity mess making.
1678348566979.png

My former employer had a a bathroom where someone took liberty with a sharpie and added some wording to the stall latch.
Latch in the locked position said, poop alone. Latch in the unlocked position said, poop with friends. šŸ¤£

The lack of accuracy, of course is a guy thing. Growing up, I had to listen to one of my grandmothers mention a brother-in-law whom she claimed peed on the floor on purpose just to make his sister clean it up. As a little boy, this was amazing to me. As an adult, I'm more inclined to think it was carelessness. My own missus has remarked about how her brother was a careless one. I've always been pretty careful and if an accident occurred, I'd clean it up. I'd feel too guilty otherwise.

Wall urinals are very common in public places. Not so common in residential homes. Yet I've always thought it would be a nice little luxury to have one. Yeah, I know, someone here will tell us they have one. Like those who have bidets. But I'll bet a home wall mount urinal is rather unusual.

These days, in commercial construction, wall mount urinals are just that, simply clamped to a wall. In days gone by or in older buildings, do you remember the full length urinals that had the lower portion set into the floor? Tiled all around the drain area? I'm sure much more expensive to plumb and do the concrete work around the base. It's always a treat for me to walk into an older men's room and see the full length fixtures. Circa the 1960's, there was a kind of intermediate wall mount design where the drain area was scooped way out to catch errant streams and more of the drips. But these are not often seen now.

Many years ago, one of the Ford dealers my dad worked at had an interesting men's room. It had a stainless steel gang basin and a long, gang urinal. Both were mounted at about the same height from the floor. My dad said any number of times he'd go into the men's room and see a confused person peeing into the sink by accident. Once again, as a lad, I thought this was hugely funny.

One more interesting bathroom fixture. The circular gang sink, some with the foot pedal faucet control. They have these in one of the buildings at the Puyallup fairgrounds. One time I went in there and saw a guy whizzing into one of these.
I had a dirt bike race somewhere in AZ a long time ago - don't remember where, I was around 10. The men's room looked like they built it up around a fountain - the whole wall for ~12ft long, maybe 4ft high, with little bubblers on top. 10 year old me was thrilled to take a piss on the fountain wall.

Thinking about that nowā€¦kinda want one for the bathroom :D

If your hose is too short or your pump is too weak, you'd better step forward or you'll p!ss on your feet.

Written on the wall of a construction site space shuttle I once worked at. Concrete workers got a sense of humor.

As for lack of accuracy being a guy thing, have you heard of the "Shewee"? Equal opportunity mess making.
View attachment 1380119
I've never heard them called a "shewee", but it's an age old idea. Back in the day just about anywhere you looked they were for sale right out in the open. Personally, I always thought they looked like they might be rather uncomfortable... but I'm not a woman so what do I know!?!

1678374007627.png

šŸ¤­

Last Edited:
Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODF supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

The men's room looked like they built it up around a fountain - the whole wall for ~12ft long, maybe 4ft high, with little bubblers on top. 10 year old me was thrilled to take a piss on the fountain wall.
Yes, I've seen a few places like that where the whole wall is a urinal. Some tiled, some not so fancy. I've seen some, to us here in the USA, strange ones in foreign countries. Like these I took a picture of in Scotland:

P5090945.JPG

Cute little stainless steel sinks:
P5090946.JPG

Or these I snapped in France:
IMG_20190512_033755727_HDR.jpg

This was minimalist bowl for number two, no seat:
IMG_20190512_033946495.jpg

I only started taking pictures of fixtures like these with the advent of digital cameras; it was just too easy. But I wish I had some of terlits that I've seen and used in Germany when I was there. In older buildings, pre-WW2, they had these really old, round, squat things with a shelf toward the front, not a ramp. So that after you did your number two, it was sitting right there, not in the water.

Toilets in Asia. I used to see squat holes in buildings, basically a drain hole in the floor with two foot outlines for placement of the feet next to the hole. For urination, there was another drain hole against a wall. In many Saigon bars, there was no separation for men and women.

The squat hole with foot imprints wasn't necessarily invented in Asia. Recently, I was looking at online pictures of the old FB Radom arms factory in Poland. It showed a squat hole with feet for factory workers still extant but disused.

Residential toilets in the US didn't always have the water tank just behind the bowl. Older homes and buildings when I was a child, some had water tanks up high on the ceiling with a long chain that hung down for yanking when it was time to flush. These had wooden boxes with metal tank liners.

Water pressure in those days wasn't always great; before I moved to Wash. I lived in a 1926 house. It was one of the first built on its block. Mine didn't have one, it had been remodeled, but my neighbor had a metal cistern (water tank) built into his attic which originally had been to aid in water pressure.

I practice writing my name in case we get a rare snowfall that sticks. You suckers all missed out last week! Strangely my neighbors were less than impressed by having my name in yellow letters on their front yards, but I guess there is no accounting for taste.

Last Edited:
bonus points if you know where this is in the PNW.

View attachment 1380737
I'm not exactly sure where those are, but you know they aren't at all that uncommon. That exact design can be found all over.

Off the top of my head, I know the deschutes brewery has an identical pair, but not the white surrounding tile and there are lights mounted to either side up on the wall not in that picture so has to be somewhere elses.

Others I recall where in South Dakota and Idaho, but can't remember exactly where. Kinda stick out and memorable, aren't they!

Yes, I've seen a few places like that where the whole wall is a urinal. Some tiled, some not so fancy. I've seen some, to us here in the USA, strange ones in foreign countries. Like these I took a picture of in Scotland:

View attachment 1380274

Cute little stainless steel sinks:
View attachment 1380276

Or these I snapped in France:
View attachment 1380280

This was minimalist bowl for number two, no seat:
View attachment 1380283

I only started taking pictures of fixtures like these with the advent of digital cameras; it was just too easy. But I wish I had some of terlits that I've seen and used in Germany when I was there. In older buildings, pre-WW2, they had these really old, round, squat things with a shelf toward the front, not a ramp. So that after you did your number two, it was sitting right there, not in the water.

Toilets in Asia. I used to see squat holes in buildings, basically a drain hole in the floor with two foot outlines for placement of the feet next to the hole. For urination, there was another drain hole against a wall. In many Saigon bars, there was no separation for men and women.

The squat hole with foot imprints wasn't necessarily invented in Asia. Recently, I was looking at online pictures of the old FB Radom arms factory in Poland. It showed a squat hole with feet for factory workers still extant but disused.

Residential toilets in the US didn't always have the water tank just behind the bowl. Older homes and buildings when I was a child, some had water tanks up high on the ceiling with a long chain that hung down for yanking when it was time to flush. These had wooden boxes with metal tank liners.

Water pressure in those days wasn't always great; before I moved to Wash. I lived in a 1926 house. It was one of the first built on its block. Mine didn't have one, it had been remodeled, but my neighbor had a metal cistern (water tank) built into his attic which originally had been to aid in water pressure.
Everybody needs a hobby. And TWO hobbies, even better. ;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top