JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's a long drive, but that is one of the reasons why cattle outnumber people out here.

The pictures doesn't do this justice, so much more incredible in person.

Kiger Gorge... 1000+ feet drop right here

Wildhorse Lake at about 9000' on the way up to the summit of Steens mountain which you can hike to another 700' up. You can hike down there and camp.

The summit, 9685' up. These guys were setting up another cell site. Guys should proud they're working at the highest active work site in the state.

The Alvord desert from 9000' up, it's too bad it was hazing from the wildfires otherwise this would have been an awesome picture.

The Alvord desert from the Alvord hot springs

More pictures from my trip to come.

I went for the first time this summer. It was amazing. The vastness of the area can be overwhelming on the first visit. Oh yeah and with gas at $ 5.00/gal in French Glen expensive too due to that "vastness".

"""More pictures from my trip to come. """

Please DO.......

Growing up in the SLC area and traveling to Southern and Western Utah often I miss the vast openess at times. I don't miss the winters, or the people/politics though,nope.

Mike

Been going there since the 60's We've stayed in the hotel in Frenchglenn camped at fish lake stayed at the research station at Malhuer Wildlife Refuge, Camped at Alvord hot springs camped at Pike Creek, been down the mine shaft at Pike Creek and chased coeds in a Oregon State Van in a 48 Willys Jeep on the loop road.

Here is our trip: BLT Offroad Steens

IMGP1132.JPG

We tossed in an exploration of the Malheur Cave too.

cave8.JPG

I have ridden my horses there, too, and that picture you took is awesome, but no matter how many times I see it, pictures just cant capture it. Maybe catch you there nest time! I hear the coyotes and cougars are getting out of hand there, might try some calling this year. How were the fires?

Those pics were taken 2 weeks ago, so by now I'd say it would be pretty clear since the big fires are out. Shooting laws are like anywhere else in the state. Most of that is public land, but you have to watch out for private land here and there. There are private ranches all over the place.

The locals don't mind as long as you treat the place with respect, most of them are just happy to see somebody sometime.

There are several options for staying... if you don't want to rough it you can stay at the French Glen hotel. OR if you got an RV a good place is the Page Springs campground, they have full hookups for RVs. Other good places to stay are Fish lake, the lake is stocked with keep trout, has water and bathroom facilities. My favorite place to camp is Jackman Park further up the mountain, more isolated but still has running water and bathroom facilities.

There are several rustic camp sites you can stay at on the way up to the summit.

Coyotes are all over the place there, one made the mistake of coming into camp during the daytime... the rabbit population comes and goes, it wasn't the greatest this year with all the wildfires.

A tip on gas... fill up in Burns. If you head out the Alvord desert, fill up in Fields, gas is cheaper there than French Glen.

BTW Antelope hunting out here is some of the best in the state and if you're lucky to draw a big horn sheep tag, they're out here I saw herd driving to the Alvord.

Deer hunting not so much... they're out there, but unless you know the area well or get some insight from the local you're going to have a hard time finding them.

Been there and done that and Loved It!!! Drove through last spring but stayed on highway. Thanks a lot for the nice photos! Going to have to spend some time there soon. Harass the varmints! Thanks again.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top