Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

If you have never been to the Steens you are missing out an amazing experience

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by PDXoriginal, Sep 9, 2012.

1. PDXoriginal

PDXoriginal PNW Well-Known Member

It's a long drive, but that is one of the reasons why cattle outnumber people out here.

The pictures doesn't do this justice, so much more incredible in person.

Kiger Gorge... 1000+ feet drop right here

Wildhorse Lake at about 9000' on the way up to the summit of Steens mountain which you can hike to another 700' up. You can hike down there and camp.

The summit, 9685' up. These guys were setting up another cell site. Guys should proud they're working at the highest active work site in the state.

The Alvord desert from 9000' up, it's too bad it was hazing from the wildfires otherwise this would have been an awesome picture.

The Alvord desert from the Alvord hot springs

More pictures from my trip to come.

2. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I went for the first time this summer. It was amazing. The vastness of the area can be overwhelming on the first visit. Oh yeah and with gas at $ 5.00/gal in French Glen expensive too due to that "vastness".

3. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

"""More pictures from my trip to come. """

Please DO.......

Growing up in the SLC area and traveling to Southern and Western Utah often I miss the vast openess at times. I don't miss the winters, or the people/politics though,nope.

Mike

4. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

I shot a muley there in the late 80s....vast and gorgeous country, but I haven't been back since that hunting trip.

5. mortar maggot

mortar maggot western wa Active Member

It has been about 40 years since I got off the paved roads and seen those parts, I guess it is past time to go back. Great scenary

6. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

How long ago were you there? I was thinking abut going there and I'm wondering if the fires are still in the area?

7. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

It's on the list, it has been for a long time and I am not getting any younger.

8. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

Excellent pictures.
    Mike

9. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

We go every couple years, some of the best varmint hunting around! And sooo few people!

Thanks for the great photos!

10. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

Thanks for posting the pics. I have always wanted to go there. Some day perhaps.

11. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

One of my favorite areas in Oregon. Lots of great places and very few people.

12. Sincere

Sincere Between Cascadia and Jefferson Active Member

Shooting laws and regulations? Attitudes?

Am I just good to go when there's no one for miles?

13. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Been going there since the 60's We've stayed in the hotel in Frenchglenn camped at fish lake stayed at the research station at Malhuer Wildlife Refuge, Camped at Alvord hot springs camped at Pike Creek, been down the mine shaft at Pike Creek and chased coeds in a Oregon State Van in a 48 Willys Jeep on the loop road.

14. HenryJ

HenryJ Eastern Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Here is our trip: BLT Offroad Steens

IMGP1132.JPG

We tossed in an exploration of the Malheur Cave too.

cave8.JPG

ZigZagZeke and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Haven't been down to the Alvord, but have been up in the Steens - beautiful country. I'd really like to go back there, but it's kind of out of the way.

IMG_0821.jpg

16. jerman1964

jerman1964 Sherwood, OR Member

I have ridden my horses there, too, and that picture you took is awesome, but no matter how many times I see it, pictures just cant capture it. Maybe catch you there nest time! I hear the coyotes and cougars are getting out of hand there, might try some calling this year. How were the fires?

17. PDXoriginal

Those pics were taken 2 weeks ago, so by now I'd say it would be pretty clear since the big fires are out. Shooting laws are like anywhere else in the state. Most of that is public land, but you have to watch out for private land here and there. There are private ranches all over the place.

The locals don't mind as long as you treat the place with respect, most of them are just happy to see somebody sometime.

There are several options for staying... if you don't want to rough it you can stay at the French Glen hotel. OR if you got an RV a good place is the Page Springs campground, they have full hookups for RVs. Other good places to stay are Fish lake, the lake is stocked with keep trout, has water and bathroom facilities. My favorite place to camp is Jackman Park further up the mountain, more isolated but still has running water and bathroom facilities.

There are several rustic camp sites you can stay at on the way up to the summit.

Coyotes are all over the place there, one made the mistake of coming into camp during the daytime... the rabbit population comes and goes, it wasn't the greatest this year with all the wildfires.

A tip on gas... fill up in Burns. If you head out the Alvord desert, fill up in Fields, gas is cheaper there than French Glen.

18. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Been clear to the back of Malheur Cave. There's lots of arrow points outside the mouth. That's where I saw my first and only rattler in Oregon. Pete French round barn is like nothing I'd ever seen before.

19. PDXoriginal

BTW Antelope hunting out here is some of the best in the state and if you're lucky to draw a big horn sheep tag, they're out here I saw herd driving to the Alvord.

Deer hunting not so much... they're out there, but unless you know the area well or get some insight from the local you're going to have a hard time finding them.

20. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Been there and done that and Loved It!!! Drove through last spring but stayed on highway. Thanks a lot for the nice photos! Going to have to spend some time there soon. Harass the varmints! Thanks again.