JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Id go back 1923, Germany, and get in the same cell with a little Austrian fellow.
No tools needed.

You can go back very easily and see leading into WW2 we grew too, fast and never stopped to realize the consequences that progress brought with it. Minus one man would have made things much different. Sure one can speculate what may or may not have happened instead, but we also know pretty well what wouldn't have happened.

In other words, now?

The problem with going back in time for loose women, at least in the USA, is that the further you go back, the more puritanical society was (in general) and the less protection there was against STDs, not to mention treatment after you got an STD. But if having a hot wire inserted up your junk or going blind and/or crazy is what turns you on, go for it.

C0030FA0-E72D-4166-8C1A-1750DA1EC3AA.jpeg

I swear I just went back in time by 1 hour today... cant quite place my finger on it yet but woke up feeling like I slept in and just noticed I seem to have an extra hour to do everything today.

Summer of 74 would work pretty good. Had 40 head of cattle, couple of horses, job on a farm, 3.5 grade average, 68 Mustang GT and a girl friend who loved summer evenings on creek banks.

What happened ?

To what point in time would go?

Having enjoyed the benefit of modern medicine and surgery, I'm not interested. Notwithstanding some cultivated and romantic notions of life in the past, Thomas Hobbes' 1651 description of life [back then] as 'solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short' is closer to the mark.

1955ish would be ok. America and Oregon were mostly better then in many ways. And it would be 13 years before the GCA of 68. Mail ordered, American made guns shipped to your door. No crazy insurance costs. Docs still made house calls and took cash. Women mostly still learned how to cook and wanted a husband and family, not to BE the husband in a family. Crazy people were locked away, not let to roam free on the streets.

Fiberglass was in common use for making fishin rods, and bamboo couod still be found relatively inexpensive.

Oregon had good runs of salmon and steelhead, there were a few lakes around back then that are not here today. Some weren't built yet.

The threat of commies starting nuclear war loomed over, but as history shows it never happened.

I would like to take back some decent firearms which I could find or make ammo for. A nice 1911 parts kit to upgrade a mail ordered Colt with, a Beretta 92fs, a S&W M&P10, and a Glock 21 would be nice. Other needs could be obtained on arrival.

I wouldn't mind taking a dozen or so sheets of kydex back with me to make holsters with.

A few books with modern fly patterns and lure designs, and a backpack full of modern synthetic materials. I'd not mind taking some modern tricks back in time and making a living as a guide :D

Its a fun notion, shame we dont have the tech...

It is interesting to note the commentary to date in which members only concerns are going back to 'modern' eras without thought of seeing where the Myths began; or our philosophical beginnings from Greece or Sinop; or colonial periods [advise the 'Fathers' to clarify what they specifically meant in the 2nd; stop the assassination of Hamiltion?] or civil war period [would you advise Lincoln to dump McClellan, warn Lincoln, take out Booth, etc.] [sidebar, incompetent & imbecile George Custer would be left to meet his fate!]

But contimplate has this phenomenon already occurred in our past with those 'gentlemen' who have advanced our sciences, philosophy, music, art [i mean really, how does anybody hold a small paint brush to paint those facial lines perfectly in portraiture of faces, buildings, etc? I can't paint a blank wall near the floor without getting paint on the floor or on the ceiling or on the door frame!]

Perhaps those vile vermin of our past and future also came from another 'era' and perhaps Twain's book was truly an expose by Twain,mbut fell on deaf ears, if you will. [by coincidence H.G.Wells wrote a similar time travel tale in the same era, things to make you go hummmm and wonder? Original ST & STNG also covered the space/time continuum concepts many times, as fantasy]

Alas, the 'what if' mental conjuring are the things which authors and Dr. Who fans thrive on. [Interestingly Dr Who does not eliminate vermin but The ST Series certainly did, hummmm]

One issue with time travel is to make sure that you are completely comfortable with the :
Current news...
Events...
Lifestyles and customs of the particular time period , along with the necessary language skills.

For instance :
In my pick of the 1820's -1830's Western fur trade era...the language then was far more formal , than today.
We have many words and notions in our English language of today , that would lead to awkward questions at best or perhaps jail time at worst....
Andy

[advise the 'Fathers' to clarify what they specifically meant in the 2nd; [sidebar, incompetent & imbecile George Custer would be left to meet his fate!]

One issue with time travel is to make sure that you are completely comfortable with the :
Current news...
Events...
Lifestyles and customs of the particular time period , along with the necessary language skills.

I'm sure the notions of the men of this country not being a militia or some of the current goings on trying to undermine the Bill of Rights would be completely foreign to the Founding Fathers. They were putting the power into the peoples hands, never thinking the people themselves might want to give it up. One would need to possess the language skills, and mindset from both then and now to make the wording and terminology of the Bill of Rights any clearer.
Plus endorse corporal punishment along the way to keep the herd of whining brats from growing out of hand.

I'm a complete gearhead. The 40's thru the early 70's were decades of development and raw innovation. If I was going back as a 56yr old like I am now, I'd probably pick the late 60's to go back. (younger, then earlier, but that's where I'd like to end up) For that part of the trip I'd like to pack an ignition system with rev limiter and a good set of heard and intake for a small block Ford.

Otherwise, I'd take my stainless 30-06. It rained back then, too. The scope on my rifle is literally decades advanced from 1967 and the GPS I find pretty handy was unheard of. Would need to take a stash of batteries, too. Wouldn't mind taking my hunting gear, as it's much better than what guys were wearing and using then, including the footwear.

I'm sure the notions of the men of this country not being a militia or some of the current goings on trying to undermine the Bill of Rights would be completely foreign to the Founding Fathers. They were putting the power into the peoples hands, never thinking the people themselves might want to give it up. One would need to possess the language skills, and mindset from both then and now to make the wording and terminology of the Bill of Rights any clearer.

If you read their writings, Bastiat, de Tocqueville, Franklin, Jefferson and others understood.

Let's add a parameter to the conjecture, cuz orygun brought up a valid point...going back as your current age with health maladies you have or about to get and past's lack of medical proficiency or going back a different age with all current wisdom, good health, and so forth.

For the record, my age of choice would be 29-31 not young adulthood.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
May 26, 2024 Oregon Arms Collectors
Portland, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top