JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hadn't heard that. Guess I'll have to start lurking on Ifish. Heard about all the political bs so I stayed away.

I still think ifish is probably the best place to get the latest. You just need to wade quickly through all the garbage, slow loading, INSANE ADS, (if you don't have adblocker) and at least 16 trackers. If you're having tech issues with your ride the "Boat and Motor Tech" section has a lot of experience available.

This is easy! I became a SJWW (Social Justice Water Warrior) more than 20 years ago!
Got tired of two many other craft on the water, fighting for a piece of a rock, after I sold my boat and the, even then, escalating cost of licenses and fees! Sold my boat, all my specialized gear. All I have are light tackle for trout or cats with children. Don't even do that now the grandkids are grown! :)
And, here comes the blasphemy, I don't miss it a bit!!!
I just started shooting more, joined a gun club and carried on.

... I want a PNW license pack for like $80... covers fishing in ID/OR/WA. Buy tags for each state separately, no CRBE...

I'm talking like ODFW and the like have our best interest at mind, silly me.

Thanks for the offer. I'll have to start looking at new boat rods for sturgeon. It's been a struggle convincing myself since I like bank and kayak fishing so much.
My father in law has done most of the convincing. LoL

Sturgeon fishing update

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov

May 22, 2017

Revised sturgeon harvest rules in Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs

Action: Increase the daily limit to two (2) sturgeon, and remove the annual limit and the requirement to record caught sturgeon on a catch-record-card.

Effective Dates: One hour before official sunrise on May 27 through one hour after official sunset on Sept. 17, 2017.

Species affected: White sturgeon between 38 and 72 inches fork length.

Location: Priest Rapids Reservoir (from Priest Rapids Dam to Wanapum Dam) and Wanapum Reservoir (from Wanapum Dam to Rock Island Dam).

Reason for action: Re-evaluation of sturgeon harvest rules in the original Fishing Rule Change were deemed inconsistent with management objectives in Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs. Revising the sturgeon harvest rules is necessary to maximize harvest of hatchery-origin sturgeon. Provided below are the rules anglers must follow while fishing in Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs.

Other information:

• Daily limit of two (2) sturgeon between 38 and 72 inches fork length may be harvested from Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs only.
  • No annual harvest limit of sturgeon between 38 and 72 inches fork length from Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs only.
  • Anglers are not required to record sturgeon harvested from Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs on a Catch Record Card.
  • Catch-and-release fishing is allowed in Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs after the daily limit is harvested.
  • Any sturgeon not to be harvested must be released immediately. Oversized sturgeon cannot be removed totally or in part from the water.
  • Night closure is in effect for sturgeon. Official sunrise and sunset times can be found at: Complete Sun and Moon Data for One Day.
  • Only one single-point barbless hook and bait is allowed while fishing for sturgeon.
  • Anglers may fish for sturgeon with two poles with the purchase of a Two-Pole Endorsement license.
  • In the field, eggs must be retained with intact carcass of fish from which they came.
  • All closed water areas in and around Priest Rapids, Wanapum, and Rock Island dams are still in effect. Check the current sport fishing rules pamphlet for complete details (Fishing and Shellfishing Regulations & Seasons | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife).
  • Daily and annual limits, harvestable slot length limits, Catch Record Card recording requirements, and all other sport fishing rules governing sturgeon harvest in all other legally open fisheries still apply.
Information Contact: Chad Jackson, District Fish Biologist, (509) 754-4624, ext. 250.

Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license, appropriate to the fishery. Check the WDFW "Fishing in Washington" rules pamphlet for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing rules are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500, press 2 for recreational rules. For the Shellfish Rule Change hotline call (360)796-3215 or toll free 1-866-880-5431.
Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email ([email protected]). For more information, see Accessing Washington's Outdoors | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife.

I have never bought the endorsement.

I used to buy the sports pac every year in January (like 80 bucks back then and shellfish license wasn't even a thing!!) I now wait until the week I plan on going fishing to do so and then it's only fishing / shellfish. No more hunting either. F-them. I'll hunt in TX or on the Res. with my indian family and get an off-res. permit for game I bring home (salmon too, btw)

Ever wonder why private businesses do fire sales? They drop prices to get more people to come in and spend $$. What does the ODFW (and other states) do to increased revenue? RAISE PRICES!!!! They're driving folks away from enjoying this sport and wonder why the numbers are declining. Then open up some BS weekend that's free for children and think that will build up a clientele.

Whatever. I won't comply and fight however I can.

I have never bought the endorsement.

I used to buy the sports pac every year in January (like 80 bucks back then and shellfish license wasn't even a thing!!) I now wait until the week I plan on going fishing to do so and then it's only fishing / shellfish. No more hunting either. F-them. I'll hunt in TX or on the Res. with my indian family and get an off-res. permit for game I bring home (salmon too, btw)

Ever wonder why private businesses do fire sales? They drop prices to get more people to come in and spend $$. What does the ODFW (and other states) do to increased revenue? RAISE PRICES!!!! They're driving folks away from enjoying this sport and wonder why the numbers are declining. Then open up some BS weekend that's free for children and think that will build up a clientele.

Whatever. I won't comply and fight however I can.

Exactly, they are throwing us bones to get more license money.

Reason for action: Re-evaluation of sturgeon harvest rules in the original Fishing Rule Change were deemed inconsistent with management objectives in Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs. Revising the sturgeon harvest rules is necessary to maximize harvest of hatchery-origin sturgeon.

Can you see what they are doing here? They have so many fisheries that they have hidden from the ratepayers and now they are pulling them out as teasers...:mad:

Well thanks for this thread, you got me to sit down and read the regs on the spots I intend to fish this season. I found multiple contradictory rules and now have a reg book with a bunch of post its hanging out of it and a bunch of highlighting on the inside.

I just wonder why ODFW just does not just completely shut down all fishing in this state. Their regulations just take away the need for actual fishery and habitat management, and they all just keep collecting their salaries, and throw darts to determine which fishery they are going to shut down next.

Good thing I like kayaking and photography so I have something to do when I do go fishing.

Exactly, they are throwing us bones to get more license money.

Can you see what they are doing here? They have so many fisheries that they have hidden from the ratepayers and now they are pulling them out as teasers...:mad:

I suppose you could call one of those bones the 2 rod endorsement. They shut down the fishing on the Columbia by dumping 4 feet of water out of Bonneville and flushing the run up, but keep the 2 rod endorsement on the Willamette, when the boats were going 7 for 44 last time I was out.

I'm going to say I would be fine with the endorsement, being that the other fees stayed consistent and they would end gill netting on the river. Also, that my endorsement funds be used to help riparian habitat restoration efforts.

You guys are right about their shenanigans tho... "All bodies of water not listed in this section are considered closed until further notice." This is a BS policy, and is essentially like closing down the national/state forests, except for day use areas. NOBODY GONNA STOP ME FROM FISHING THE CASCADE LAKES! They stocked them with brookies for a reason, after all.

They shut down the fishing on the Columbia by dumping 4 feet of water out of Bonneville and flushing the run up, but keep the 2 rod endorsement on the Willamette, when the boats were going 7 for 44 last time I was out.

Uhh, they have this thing called "Snow Pack". When there's a lot of snow pack within the 260,000 square miles of the rivers drainage they're going to need to make room for that when it starts to melt. And this year that is more so than many! But I'm sure you knew that already, but for some reason fisherman like to believe that the dam managers let water out just to mess up the fisherman.

Uhh, they have this thing called "Snow Pack". When there's a lot of snow pack within the 260,000 square miles of the rivers drainage they're going to need to make room for that when it starts to melt. And this year that is more so than many! But I'm sure you knew that already, but for some reason fisherman like to believe that the dam managers let water out just to mess up the fisherman.

I agree mike but during past season openings and extensions sure do coincide with the spilling of said excess water and they stop shortly before the killnets go in... Me thinks there is something going on (sometimes)... I do know this year is very different than many and the runs do not always follow along as the mismanagers (er managers) predict...:eek::eek::eek: say it ain't so!!!!:p

I agree mike but during past season openings and extensions sure do coincide with the spilling of said excess water and they stop shortly before the killnets go in... Me thinks there is something going on (sometimes)... I do know this year is very different than many and the runs do not always follow along as the mismanagers (er managers) predict...:eek::eek::eek: say it ain't so!!!!:p

Jim, they've been doing spill on or about the 1st of April for quite a few years. Can't remember how long ago now but we used to watch them load a tanker truck full of smolts on a barge and run it to the middle of the river just above Chinook Landing and release them. That was around the middle of July when we were out there fishing for summer steelhead They don't do that any more, now they flush from April to the 1st of September. IF, BIG IF, they do back the flow off for the gillnetters, well, what are you going to do? Besides, there are people that fish, and catch, during those high flows, you just need to adjust your game. Or so I've heard.

Us fisherman are a whiny bunch, me included. And I do believe the term "Mis-managers" fits too. A lot of this mess has to do with the endangered "Wild salmon/steelhead", and the like of "The native fish society" forcing the cutback in plants. The majority of my anger, and whining, is directed mainly at the NFA and their ilk. Quit playing stupid games with me...Either stop all fishing for anadromous fish and make it a petting zoo, or plant some GD FISH for us to catch and eat!

This should pass, just as it has before. I remember one spring the Willamette was only open on Wednesdays! And for years that Columbia wasn't even open for springers!

I'd like to see a pay to play thing. :eek: Imagine, $10.00 for your salmon card and $10.00 for every salmon, $5.00 for steelhead? .....Guides should start having to pay THEIR share for a change too. $150.00 for a guides license is ridicules, less than the price one seat for one day for their license.

It sure seemed that WDFW& ODFG knew exactly when the COE were gonna dump...:D

Of course they do. It is reasonable to expect them to notify them, and then let the fishermen know 8 hours before they close the river, and the logs start flushing down. As far as altering your methods, really more water means more area to cover means more space for the fish to spread out and the fishermen as well.

The Columbia is completely unfishable after one of those flushs. Pretty much over that fishery anyway, the Central Oregon trout thing has caught my attention now and is a lot more fun.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top