JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good luck to anyone that goes.

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov

May 4, 2017

Sturgeon fishery opens June 3 in Priest Rapids, Wanapum reservoirs

Action: Allow harvest of sturgeon.

Effective dates: One hour before official sunrise on June 3 through one hour after official sunset on Sept. 30, 2017.

Species affected: White sturgeon between 38 and 72 inches fork length.

Location: Priest Rapids Reservoir (from Priest Rapids Dam to Wanapum Dam) and Wanapum Reservoir (from Wanapum Dam to Rock Island Dam).

Reason for action: Hatchery-origin white sturgeon residing in Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs since the early 2000s are abundant and have grown to a harvestable size. Removal of these hatchery-origin fish is consistent with ongoing actions to rebuild depressed populations of wild-origin white sturgeon in Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs.

Other information:

Daily limit of one (1) sturgeon between 38 and 72 inches fork length may be harvested from Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs.

Annual limit of two (2) sturgeon between 38 and 72 inches fork length may be harvested from Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs. Anglers are required to record sturgeon harvested from Priest Rapids (537) and Wanapum (539) reservoirs on a Catch Record Card.

Catch-and-release fishing is allowed in Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs after the daily limit is harvested.

Any sturgeon not to be harvested must be released immediately. Oversized sturgeon cannot be removed totally or in part from the water.

Night closure is in effect for sturgeon. Official sunrise and sunset times can be found at: Complete Sun and Moon Data for One Day

Only one single-point barbless hook and bait is allowed while fishing for sturgeon.

Anglers may fish for sturgeon with two poles with the purchase of a Two-Pole Endorsement license.

In the field, eggs must be retained with intact carcass of fish from which they came.

All closed-water areas in and around Priest Rapids, Wanapum, and Rock Island dams are still in effect. Check the current sport fishing rules pamphlet for complete details (http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/).

Daily and annual limits, harvestable slot length limits, Catch Record Card recording requirements, and all other sport fishing rules governing sturgeon harvest in all other legally open fisheries still apply.

Information Contact: Chad Jackson, District Fish Biologist, (509) 754-4624 x250

Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license, appropriate to the fishery. Check the WDFW "Fishing in Washington" rules pamphlet for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing rules are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500, press 2 for recreational rules. For the Shellfish Rule Change hotline call (360)796-3215 or toll free 1-866-880-5431.

ANY waters that flow into the Columbia, north and south.... It goes to TPTB to find out what methods work so they can get the kill nets off the mainstream Columbia. If I can help it I will not buy one!!!:mad::mad::mad: Why do sportsmen and women have to pay for this BS???
Commercials are the ones who decimated the fish runs back in the day!!!:mad::mad::mad:

:s0137::s0137::s0137:

I think its stupid too. You have to buy a freshwater and saltwater license and then a bunch of endorsements to fish in fresh and saltwater. When will we have to start buying tags for every fish we catch?

"Got me a trout tag, a bluegill tag, and bought some salmon preference points for the once in a lifetime draw!"

I think its stupid too. You have to buy a freshwater and saltwater license and then a bunch of endorsements to fish in fresh and saltwater. When will we have to start buying tags for every fish we catch?

"Got me a trout tag, a bluegill tag, and bought some salmon preference points for the once in a lifetime draw!"

Then they wonder why there are so many snaggers, flossers and just all out poachers.......

Ray

That is what I am doing this year, fishing just the lakes and rivers in my area where I don't have to pay an extortion fee to fish the
Big C.

Awesome!!! If enough of us band together we can send the message that we are opposed to their mismanagement and fumbling of our natural resources. As far as big game they do not have much invested in the animals but they have poorly displayed they are incompetent.

Good luck to anyone that goes.

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov

May 4, 2017

Sturgeon fishery opens June 3 in Priest Rapids, Wanapum reservoirs

Action: Allow harvest of sturgeon.

Effective dates: One hour before official sunrise on June 3 through one hour after official sunset on Sept. 30, 2017.

Species affected: White sturgeon between 38 and 72 inches fork length.

Location: Priest Rapids Reservoir (from Priest Rapids Dam to Wanapum Dam) and Wanapum Reservoir (from Wanapum Dam to Rock Island Dam).

Reason for action: Hatchery-origin white sturgeon residing in Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs since the early 2000s are abundant and have grown to a harvestable size. Removal of these hatchery-origin fish is consistent with ongoing actions to rebuild depressed populations of wild-origin white sturgeon in Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs.

Other information:

Daily limit of one (1) sturgeon between 38 and 72 inches fork length may be harvested from Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs.

Annual limit of two (2) sturgeon between 38 and 72 inches fork length may be harvested from Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs. Anglers are required to record sturgeon harvested from Priest Rapids (537) and Wanapum (539) reservoirs on a Catch Record Card.

Catch-and-release fishing is allowed in Priest Rapids and Wanapum reservoirs after the daily limit is harvested.

Any sturgeon not to be harvested must be released immediately. Oversized sturgeon cannot be removed totally or in part from the water.

Night closure is in effect for sturgeon. Official sunrise and sunset times can be found at: Complete Sun and Moon Data for One Day

Only one single-point barbless hook and bait is allowed while fishing for sturgeon.

Anglers may fish for sturgeon with two poles with the purchase of a Two-Pole Endorsement license.

In the field, eggs must be retained with intact carcass of fish from which they came.

All closed-water areas in and around Priest Rapids, Wanapum, and Rock Island dams are still in effect. Check the current sport fishing rules pamphlet for complete details (Fishing and Shellfishing Regulations & Seasons | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife).

Daily and annual limits, harvestable slot length limits, Catch Record Card recording requirements, and all other sport fishing rules governing sturgeon harvest in all other legally open fisheries still apply.

Information Contact: Chad Jackson, District Fish Biologist, (509) 754-4624 x250

Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license, appropriate to the fishery. Check the WDFW "Fishing in Washington" rules pamphlet for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing rules are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500, press 2 for recreational rules. For the Shellfish Rule Change hotline call (360)796-3215 or toll free 1-866-880-5431.

The WDFW must be hurting for money for them to open the sturgeon fishery.....:eek::eek::eek:

The WDFW must be hurting for money for them to open the sturgeon fishery.....:eek::eek::eek:

I can't help but think they open it just for the guides. And maybe Asstoria, Chinook, Ilawco have been talking, ($$) to WDFW/ODFW? During the summer, from what I hear, Asstoria is treating the sport fisher crappier all the time. That would be when they don't need them because people come from all over the U.S. to visit "The Beach!

I wonder what the percentage of folks would be who would actually refrain from buying a license? Even if we were able to amass a "spread the word" campaign. I would!!! On one condition. That Caveman Jim negotiated that demands to wfdw for us to start fishing again;).

I can't help but think they open it just for the guides. And maybe Asstoria, Chinook, Ilawco have been talking, ($$) to WDFW/ODFW? During the summer, from what I hear, Asstoria is treating the sport fisher crappier all the time. That would be when they don't need them because people come from all over the U.S. to visit "The Beach!

Well that's what I'm talking about they need to revenues so they can help put it up for the guides, because the commercials pissed and moaned and are getting Federal relief funds because they didn't catch enough Damn fish. What the Sportsman always do is the same thing piss and moan till we get something which in turn never happens, we don't amount to squat it's the bribers oh, I mean commercials that always get the grease just like unions.

I wonder what the percentage of folks would be who would actually refrain from buying a license? Even if we were able to amass a "spread the word" campaign. I would!!! On one condition. That Caveman Jim negotiated that demands to wfdw for us to start fishing again;).

I can do that just be aware that you may have to bail me out of jail if I don't get what I want for all of us, which is more Hatchery fish less money spent to try and save the Holy Grail wild fish that are already extinct and stop the slaughter and interception of half of our fish, 50% or more, that the alaskans and Canadians are taking from our rivers!!!

I noticed it was called a "Columbia Salmon and Steelhead Endorsement" by the license dealer. I'm a bass and walleye guy, but got it anyway.
Yeah, just like up until a few years ago you could fish waters open to trout that held salmon without a tag. That guy probably has a buddy who regulates the river near you, and is helping him fill his ticket quota. You need one regardless. It's supposed to help fill the gap of a should be lost industry gill netting salmon and raise funds for riparian habitat restoration. Really it just goes to killing cormorants and printing glazed regulation books that change every two months. Oh wait, didn't they put the cormorant slaughter on the ACE? Yeah... it goes somewhere, I can't tell where tho. Maybe hatcheries, the other destructive force killing salmon.

Can you tell that ODFW has me upset?

Thanks for the heads up, I might head up there. Never fished for sturgeon before. I've wanted to fish the rainbows in that area tho, and I have some family up near there. From what I've read, live ground squirrels make the best rainbow bait. Does the CRBE I bought in Oregon work for Washington as well?

PS: I didn't read every post, I got too upset... I guess it goes to gillnetters, because they aren't catching fish like they used to? Big surprise there... maybe they should start taxing rafters and timber companies for dynamiting all the tributaries... FRIGGIN RAFTERS MAN!

Last Edited:
[QUOTE="Flymph, post: 1684173, member: 45941]

Thanks for the heads up, I might head up there. Never fished for sturgeon before. I've wanted to fish the rainbows in that area tho, and I have some family up near there. From what I've read, live ground squirrels make the best rainbow bait. Does the CRBE I bought in Oregon work for Washington as well[/QUOTE]

The COLUMBIA river endorsement is good only for that in Or. Not at all in wa.
So a Oregon and Washington Residents can fish together only in the COLUMBIA.

Just heard they are having a meeting real soon for sturgeon fishing. Wondering how they will try n screw us this time.

You did hear they're opening up the estuary for keeping sturgeon didn't you? I din't read much on ifish because I don't bother with sturgeon up here anymore, let alone go down there and watch guides run numerous trip a day.

Considering the plight of the sturgeon population I find it unconscionable that they would allow a catch/keep season ANYWHERE in Oregon!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top