JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have read that everyone on here says you should get a copy of id with bill of sale when selling a firearm in the classifieds. But can I let the state know, or somehow unregister? Thanks.

What register? I've never registered a weapon in my life. I know where the background check sheets go and its not to a registry. Gun registration is a big no-no that we need to fight.

if you live in oregon, the gun's not "registered" to anyone.. the only link between you and the gun is that if the gun's serial number is traced back to the store you bought it from, investigators can go to the store and see who it was sold to. if the gun was found at a crime scene or confiscated from a criminal, you'd probably get a phone call.

like someone above said, if you do an FFL transfer, you void all that out. i've personally sold, over the years, quite a few personal guns.. i've never done an FFL transfer, and I'm not worried about it. if I get a call about one of them sometime in the future, i'll cooperate or not, depending on my mood/the investigators attitude/nature of the call.

you can actually even get the gun back, years later, if it's found on a criminal.. might require a little lying, but i've seen it happen. my mother has gotten two guns back, years after they were stolen (and they actually were stolen), and i had a "friend" (no, not me), who, when asked by an investigator what happened to a shotgun he'd sold, said it'd been stolen from his truck. The shotgun was returned to him after the investigation was concluded. He couldn't remember who he'd sold it to (who it had later been stolen from, most likely), so he just kept it.

i had a "friend" (no, not me), who, when asked by an investigator what happened to a shotgun he'd sold, said it'd been stolen from his truck. The shotgun was returned to him after the investigation was concluded. He couldn't remember who he'd sold it to (who it had later been stolen from, most likely), so he just kept it.

Which makes your friend a gun thief! ;)

Which makes your friend a gun thief! ;)

better than have it get destroyed along with all the other unclaimed/illegal/crime guns the cops crush every year, was the justification. i probably would have kept it too. i probably wouldn't have lied to an investigator about how it'd left my possession, though- i'm way more likely to simply refuse to cooperate... i'm not a big fan of modern American law enforcement.

better than have it get destroyed along with all the other unclaimed/illegal/crime guns the cops crush every year, was the justification. i probably would have kept it too. i probably wouldn't have lied to an investigator about how it'd left my possession, though- i'm way more likely to simply refuse to cooperate... i'm not a big fan of modern American law enforcement.

Just pointing it out is all. ;)

It may not be popular but I am going to call you naive if you don't think your name is attached to every firearm you receive a "background check" for. If you simply needed a background check why all the weapon specifics including the serial number. Every one of those is being put in a data base tied to your personal info. I fully believe there will come a day when that information is abused in some form or another. That being said since there is no "registration" you can't formally transfer it. Going through an FFL though will get that firearm tied to the buyer so there will be one less firearm on the list when they come to take them away from you. My cynicism may not always be right but it never lets me down.

It may not be popular but I am going to call you naive if you don't think your name is attached to every firearm you receive a "background check" for. If you simply needed a background check why all the weapon specifics including the serial number. Every one of those is being put in a data base tied to your personal info. I fully believe there will come a day when that information is abused in some form or another. That being said since there is no "registration" you can't formally transfer it. Going through an FFL though will get that firearm tied to the buyer so there will be one less firearm on the list when they come to take them away from you. My cynicism may not always be right but it never lets me down.

The serial number is not mentioned in your background check... Only whether its a long gun, handgun, or other (receiver, etc).

the Federal yellow form DOES indeed have the firearm's serial number on it. BUT--that form is destroyed within 48 hours by the FBI..... BUT---- the dealer's copy goes into HIS file, where it must remain 20 years... or until he closes his business, at which time BATF gets it all.

Handguns in Washington are also entered onto a white form that the state Department of Licensing puts into a file... that remains who knows how long. As far as I understand it, this is not a searchable database. But, if they decide to pay enough state worker drones, it could be.

Now, in Oregon, the state handles the BG check.... THEY call the FBI, and THEY (Oregon State) do keep a record of the BG check, WITH serial number (on the yellow form). The dealer also has to (federal regs, same as Washington). SO--Oregon maintains a permanent record of all BG checks (with gun's serial number). As far as I understand (subject to my MISunderstanding), this is not a searchable database.

It remains against federal law for records to be kept except at the FFL Dealer's file..... why the BATF are having problems searching out the Mexican guns' origins in texas. They are spending many hours poring through local FFL dealser's records in search of specific serial numbers.. tedious. They are pushing for a searchable database, so the feds can enter a given serial number and make/model, and come up with the last sale of record. A long ways away from this, but I'm certain the present admin will make some attempts at moving in this direction.

SO--no "registry" at this point, and actually searching out YOUR gun's serial number to find it was bought by YOU is tedious.....

California's new DOJ nonsense does seem to maintain a far more complete set of records, but they are a foreign country when it comes to firearms laws..... no wonder they're broke!!

I belong to the group that prefers NO reciepts or records of face to face sales. Once you see proof of state residence and have no reason to believe a person is a criminal, that's all you need. One less gun on the government books.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top