JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Heh, I will admit, I don't get powder in 1lb'ers very often, but there are more than a few things I do when I do get some bottles.

Hodgdon 1lb'ers are the best of them. Cut the top half of the bottle off, and use it for a multi-use powder funnel for refilling dillon powder measures (works with most of them I've found, but are the closest fit to the dillon) if you use powders that get clumpy, put some 1/4" hardware cloth in the bottom.

Using the same idea as above, take the powder funnel with the hardware cloth in the above, flip it over (mouth down) and shove it in the bottom half of the jar, now you have a bullet catcher for when you're pulling a bunch of rounds and recovering the powder (the hardware cloth catches the bullets for you).

You can also refill the 1lb'er with powder from a bigger container. I usually get powder in either 35, 45 or 70lb drums, I usually save the 8lb containers and use those for on-the-floor stock and keep the big drums in the magazine. The 1lb are great for doing small development jobs. Also, I try to keep a sample of previous powders I've used, so when I get a drum that's of a new lot number, or there was a reported issue with an old production run, I can load up some rounds and try to figure out what happened.

I also refill the bottles with other chemicals I buy periodically that come in bad packaging (manganese dioxide for parkerizing usually comes in paper sacks, a bottle is a huge improvement).

I imagine you could also use them for very large fishing floats or any number of other things that a jar of that size would be useful for. The above are just a few ideas you can use around the shop.

Mine just go in the recycling bin. I have cut down some of the rectangular Accurate Powder bottles and used them for bullet trays at my single stage press but how many of those does one need? For the larger (4# and 8#) containers, I have cut the tops off, leaving the handles intact, and they make good scrap brass containers. When taking the brass to the local recycler I just leave the "jug" with them. Since the local recyclers have to "mail you a check" for payments over $30 I go frequently and don't need containers any larger than these jugs.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the ideas.

They are #2 plastic, so i can recycle them. The powder funnel is great, as I have a dillon press. As soon as I get my loads finalized I am definitely looking to buy powder in larger quantities.

Where in the heck do you get 35 45 or god forbid 75 lb drums?!? Call factory? Do you need a FFL to get that much?

Thanks again for the ideas

We just upgraded our license to a type 10, we've been a type 06/08 for about 5 years. So yea, typically we get drums of powder, occasionally I will do a group buy with friends and order a 45lb drum and parcel it out into 10lb lots.

We just upgraded our license to a type 10, we've been a type 06/08 for about 5 years. So yea, typically we get drums of powder, occasionally I will do a group buy with friends and order a 45lb drum and parcel it out into 10lb lots.

A brave man, manufacturing ammo in California. I can only imagine what the regulations and oversite are there. I considered getting an "06" here in Washington but in researching I realized that the discomfort I would feel in my anal region wouldn't be just from Hemorrhoids. I'd have the State and City right there along with the ATF. Too much of a PITA for me so I just "manufacture" for my own needs. I didn't want the Government as a business partner.

I'm in the process of relocating to WA with my new business (kinda've an off-shoot of what I currently do) depending on your county, washington is very friendly (by comparison) to business and FFL's. You need to file your FFL, I would recommend a type 07, it's only slightly more expensive but gives you a lot more lattitude, file your MBL, and then you need inspections from the local fire department. I have talked to both the city and county of snohomish (where I'm looking to locate) and they were very open and friendly to my requests for information. You also need to file the washington state firearms dealers license from the DOL. Grand total in paperwork you're looking at under $1000 to get started. However, if you're just filing it for the fun of it, it's not really worth it.

My company makes commercial loading equipment, I'm still in startup phase, but I just got back from the PNW going on a tour showing off one of my new machines and got a very positive response, I still need to finish the development of a few other machines, put some money in the bank, and then it's off to .wa

The big limitation to manufacturing ammo here in .ca is the amount of powder we are allowed to store on site, we are limited to 750lbs. Both oregon and washington have a limit of 5000lbs without additional paperwork. So from that perspective the only ones I will have to make happy with my storage is the ATF.

I'm in the process of relocating to WA with my new business (kinda've an off-shoot of what I currently do) depending on your county, washington is very friendly (by comparison) to business and FFL's. You need to file your FFL, I would recommend a type 07, it's only slightly more expensive but gives you a lot more lattitude, file your MBL, and then you need inspections from the local fire department. I have talked to both the city and county of snohomish (where I'm looking to locate) and they were very open and friendly to my requests for information. You also need to file the washington state firearms dealers license from the DOL. Grand total in paperwork you're looking at under $1000 to get started. However, if you're just filing it for the fun of it, it's not really worth it.

My company makes commercial loading equipment, I'm still in startup phase, but I just got back from the PNW going on a tour showing off one of my new machines and got a very positive response, I still need to finish the development of a few other machines, put some money in the bank, and then it's off to .wa

The big limitation to manufacturing ammo here in .ca is the amount of powder we are allowed to store on site, we are limited to 750lbs. Both oregon and washington have a limit of 5000lbs without additional paperwork. So from that perspective the only ones I will have to make happy with my storage is the ATF.

Be sure to fully research the State Laws on powder and primer storage. They have a relatively small threshold before you have to store it in a "magazine".

<broken link removed>

Also, once you get your "UBI" (Business License) from WA State they will notify the local jurisdiction. Some require an additional business license, especially the cities. You also have to conform with zoning requirements. Just more hassle to go through.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but everything goes in a magazine. Thing I've found dealing with both the feds and the local fire people, if you have a clean orderly shop, things are separated per ATF regs, your magazines are up to snuff (typically a 1" composite plywood box with aluminum cladding on the outside for indoor storage cabinets) they will give you the one inspection per year, and not much else. Half the time they won't even inspect during subsequent years. But you have to be clean, as soon as there are debris around, everything gets much harder.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top