JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering getting an Idaho nonresident concealed weapons permit. Apparently they have two types, a standard and enhanced . The enhanced permit includes additional training. I have looked on the web at several organizations that do the concealed weapons training for the Idaho license. They all mention additional training for the enhanced permit, but none of them detail what that extra training is. Does anyone out there know exactly what the extra training is for the Idaho Enhanced Concealed weapons permit?

Ed at Center Target Sports in Post Falls has a decent program. The enhanced course is taught by a firearms instructor and a lawyer (last I knew). The lawyer part is the primary difference between the standard and the enhanced. Ed leans a bit heaver on the shooting proficiency than some that give the course. the course IIRC is about half classroom in the morning followed by range time afternoon.
I have taken a few courses from Ed as has my wife. We have been pleased with the training we received.

So in answer to your main question the main difference is the lawyer part of the program.

I would not even consider the standard permit. The enhanced was created to add stated that would not recognize Idahos standard permit as it could be issued to a person 18 years old.

Center Target CWP info

According to USAcarry.com a resident licensee gets CO, FL, SC and Mich.
Mich. only recognizes resident permits but does so for all states. So for the OP it would recognize a WA permit witch is required to get an enhanced non resident Idaho permit. A resident WA permit plus an enhanced non resident Idaho permits gets 37 states. The missing states are OR, CA, HI, CO, IL, FL, SC, MD, NJ, PA, NY, CT, RI & MA. As a WA resident, OP could get a non resident OR Permit. For ID residents the enhanced permit also gets CO, FL, SC & PA

Mich. only recognizes resident permits but does so for all states. So for the OP it would recognize a WA permit witch is required to get an enhanced non resident Idaho permit. A resident WA permit plus an enhanced non resident Idaho permits gets 37 states. The missing states are OR, CA, HI, CO, IL, FL, SC, MD, NJ, PA, NY, CT, RI & MA. As a WA resident, OP could get a non resident OR Permit. For ID residents the enhanced permit also gets CO, FL, SC & PA
10-4

Maps shown are from the CCW app with 2020-05-29 updates applied.
What WA resident gets you:
Screenshot_20200529-111203_CCW.jpg

What WA res + ID Enh Non res gets:

20200529_111306.jpg

I currently have carry permits from the state of Washington and the state of Utah. I am interested in getting an Idaho carry permit because I only live about 15 miles from Idaho. I am interested In the enhanced permit because I figure if I'm going to bother, I might as well get the enhanced permit. Plus reciprocity between Washington and Idaho is only for the Idaho enhanced permit. The Washington attorney general website doesn't indicate if that reciprocity is for Idaho residents only. It just lists Idaho enhanced in its list of reciprocity.

At some point, I would like to figure out what permits I can get that will give me the greatest coverage of US states. Any suggestions?

+1 to the Enhanced. Oregon CWP sucks arse. Idaho Enhanced gave me ~35 additional states.
Granted, I recognize that you're in Spokane.

Oregon chose to not honor reciprocity other state. Oklahoma will honor any permit from another state that will honor an Oklahoma issued Concealed Carry License.

As of last year residents of Oklahoma aren't required to have a Concealed license for open or concealed carry. It is only required if you plan on carrying outside of state lines.

I currently have carry permits from the state of Washington and the state of Utah. I am interested in getting an Idaho carry permit because I only live about 15 miles from Idaho. I am interested In the enhanced permit because I figure if I'm going to bother, I might as well get the enhanced permit. Plus reciprocity between Washington and Idaho is only for the Idaho enhanced permit. The Washington attorney general website doesn't indicate if that reciprocity is for Idaho residents only. It just lists Idaho enhanced in its list of reciprocity.

Idaho has constitutional carry for all legal residents of the U.S. statewide (right now it is only outside city limits) starting July 1 I believe. They currently accept WA CPL. Not sure why you're worried what ID permit WA accepts, being a WA resident.

Oregon chose to not honor reciprocity other state. Oklahoma will honor any permit from another state that will honor an Oklahoma issued Concealed Carry License.

As of last year residents of Oklahoma aren't required to have a Concealed license for open or concealed carry. It is only required if you plan on carrying outside of state lines.
Last time I checked, I thought that Oregon did not issue non-resident permits. Did I get that wrong?

Idaho has constitutional carry for all legal residents of the U.S. statewide (right now it is only outside city limits) starting July 1 I believe. They currently accept WA CPL. Not sure why you're worried what ID permit WA accepts, being a WA resident.
Not worried. Just thought it would be fun to add to my collection of permits. Plus, from time to time I sometimes consider moving to Post Falls ID.

Last time I checked, I thought that Oregon did not issue non-resident permits. Did I get that wrong?

They issue non resident permits to citizens from neighboring states only. They do not have reciprocity though with anyone though.

Effectively if you're from Idaho, California, or Washington you can apply for a non resident carry permit . You just can't get a permit if you live in any other state and you can't carry on your home state's permit .

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top