JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A good double-action "K" framed .327 Federal Magnum revolver with a 6" barrel would be extremely versatile. The ability to shoot .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum and .327 Federal Magnum would encourage the .32 caliber shooter to use it,

a) as a "garden gun" (the .32 S&W is a fantastic "critter getter" when it comes to garden pests). The 6" barrel would ensure accuracy with the report of a .22 Long Rifle while hitting about as hard as a .22 Remington Special. This puts it in an entirely new category when it comes to yard vermin.

b) The .32 S&W Long is a great skunk killer and "Bunny Bopper" when it comes to filling the camp stew pot with rabbit meat. Small game is "easy pickings" for a 930 fps 98-grain (188 f.p.e.) 32 S&W Long. It has worked well for over a century. Why not today?

c) The .32 H&R Magnum from a 6" barreled revolver is a mid-range "Coyote killer" since 1984. You can load it to be extremely effective for Fox and similar-sized varmints. Rabbits die easily at 100 yards without even trying.

d) The .327 Federal Magnum is very effective as a "man-stopper" from a 6" barrel. At short range, I can't see how it wouldn't be effective as a "camp meat" pot filler for everything up to bobcats, wolf, and small deer.

This would be one of the best "woods-tramping" revolvers you could have. A 7-round cylinder would make a good revolver even better.

Comments?

Last Edited:
Would be a cool idea. I would want it in a 6 inch Ruger GP100 though. Heavier, built like a tank, seems more of the way I would go with a utilatarian revolver. But I would like something in .327 Federal. Sounds like a jack of all trades.

A common misconception of Ruger vs S&W frames...

Ruger uses a cast metal process for their frames, hence they need to be thicker than S&W frames (which are machined from inherently stronger solid forged steel) to achieve the required strength needed to withstand the forces exerted on them.

They are essentially on par with each other strength-wise, it's just two different appraches to get there is all.

;)

I am lover of all guns and while this seems like a cool idea, what does it fill that .357 mag doesn't? As a hand loader, I can replicate all of those loads mentioned while also creating loads that could kill dear or small bear. Not to mention, the caliber has significantly more options in factory loaded ammo. The only real difference that I could see is a slight improvement in ammunition weight, and possibly the addition of another round in the cylinder, but if you are choosing a revolver as a carry, those two points must not be high on your priority list. If you are already invested in the 32 caliber then I get it, but I don't see the draw over .357 for the person choosing between the two. Just a friendly debate, not trying to come off as a dick:D

I am lover of all guns and while this seems like a cool idea, what does it fill that .357 mag doesn't? As a hand loader, I can replicate all of those loads mentioned while also creating loads that could kill dear or small bear. Not to mention, the caliber has significantly more options in factory loaded ammo. The only real difference that I could see is a slight improvement in ammunition weight, and possibly the addition of another round in the cylinder, but if you are choosing a revolver as a carry, those two points must not be high on your priority list. If you are already invested in the 32 caliber then I get it, but I don't see the draw over .357 for the person choosing between the two. Just a friendly debate, not trying to come off as a dick:D

Trust me, the lower recoil and enhanced accuracy of the .32 caliber projectiles are legendary!
The .32 Long was the target Bullseye cartridge competition for decades as opposed to the .357" caliber projectiles. The only reason that the .357/.38 caliber took over as the target "signature" is larger.

The lower recoil of driving the 115-grain bullet to 1450 fps, generating 537 fpe matches the .357 in efficiency. The .327 is generally a more accurate round and can take deer easily at short ranges. Lower recoil, greater accuracy, excellent penetration and four cartridge versatility as opposed to two lets you range from high power to a lower power than the .38 special for "lighter work".

Bigger isn't always better.

I dig the concept and would likely buy one. Full-size .32 wheelguns were made in the past, but I'm not aware of anything on the market that would fit the bill. The Alfa Proj* in .32 Long is kinda-sorta-not-really along those lines and it could only run .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long. It is too bad it isn't chambered in .327 Federal Magnum or .32 H&R Magnum. They do make them in .22 WMR, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, 9mm Luger, etc., but not those two .32 Mag-o-ramas.

1378675856_761_reduced.jpg

Last Edited:
On another site, I know a man that reamed out the chambers of an S&W Model 16-4 (in .32 H&R Magnum) to accept .327 Federal Magnum cartridges. It shot extremely well, was inherently accurate, and acquitted itself in the field rather well. In fact, the owner handily killed a bobcat at nearly 100 yards with some 115-grain JHP .327 Federal Magnum loads. I have been jealous of that owner for many a year. It is really something!

Some people confuse bore size with the size of another part of their body.

Blah, the cartridge hasn't taken off enough to be mainstream and readily available. I like the low recoil, but there are just so many options out there where you can find rounds at your local bi-mart or other sporting goods store.

Reminds me of the 5.7. Fast, expensive, more capacity (kind of, see Ruger LCR) and hard to find on the shelf from the average retailer.

Blah, the cartridge hasn't taken off enough to be mainstream and readily available. I like the low recoil, but there are just so many options out there where you can find rounds at your local bi-mart or other sporting goods store.

Reminds me of the 5.7. Fast, expensive, more capacity (kind of, see Ruger LCR) and hard to find on the shelf from the average retailer.

There's a process known as "handloading" (look into it).

And BTW, the .327 IMO stinks as a cartridge. Sure, it comes out fast, but the projectile is mediocre, the round is expensive and hard to find and really how many off-the-shelf guns are chambered in it? Just what we need, another exotic cartridge that's too expensive to enjoy. Unless you do whatever "handloading" is.:rolleyes:

If I was gonna have a dog in this fight, I'd choose .22TCM. At least you get a nice fireball and pretty much no recoil shooting it. Now that's an exotic I can get behind. And with the right load will deliver more energy than the .327 Mag. Yawn.

Why not wait for a revolver in .30 carbine? :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
The more I look into prices of loaded ammo and componants for handloading (Whatever that is?) I think I will be sticking with my .357. Heavier projectiles, on the shelf everywhere, and low pressure .38sp kills racoons in my garbage can fine. Allow I did score a Smith and Wesson 43-C J frame 8 shot 22lr from a member here that has become my go to in the yard critter gitter.

I'm thinking a 4" K-frame paired with a 92 Winchester both in .327; basically a modern version of the.32-20.

So many rave about the .32-20 yet discount the .327 Fed Mag. The old .32-20 was fine, but it's weak point is the thin case. Another point is that it doesn't interchange with any other .32 cartridge. Last, but not least, the .327 substantially outperforms the old Winchester cartridge without pressuring the case into the "red zone".

Don't get me wrong, I like the old .32-20, but the modern .327 FM supersedes it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top