JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Black powder firearms
I've been toying with the idea for a while now and figured with the current climate of things, now might be a good time. be it a revolver or a rifle or both I'm just not sure where to start.
I like the idea of a revolver for the size of it & the fact that I'd get 6 shots.
I like that a rifle is a bit cheaper & I could be used for hunting if so inclined to do so. Where is a good place to start a cva buck stalker or a traditions revolver. Let me know what you all think.
I appreciate the input.
Thank's

Well, we all gotta start someplace......I guess.

Perhaps you can get a pawn shop deal although the prices of everything are moving up. At least you will be able to get some different models in your hands to help make a more informed decision.
There a few shops in the Portland metro area I'm going to swing by & Apparently I have to pay to use armslist now day's well there goes that lead. I appreciate the insight.

Traditions has a pretty good copy of the Colt 1851 Navy and the Colt 1860 Army revolver.
Cap and ball revolvers are fun to shoot , if a bit messy and slow to re-load.
If you end up with one...I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Andy

Located in Keizer, give them a call..... https://muzzleloadingandmore.com/

I might suggest you contact these folks about their monthly shoots, you may want to visit with them and actually see what it's all about, I hear they are a friendly group and welcome the newcomers.... Shoots down near Hopewell just west of the Wheatland Ferry (a hair north of Salem), Forest Hills Blackpowder Brigade.

Traditions has a pretty good copy of the Colt 1851 Navy and the Colt 1860 Army revolver.
Cap and ball revolvers are fun to shoot , if a bit messy and slow to re-load.
If you end up with one...I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Andy
I appreciate that Andy I'll look into it & keep you in mind if I end up with one.

Last I checked, you could find Traditions as well as Uberti cap and ball revolvers at Sportsman's

I've only dealt with him once, but Ken is a great guy.
The sportsman's off 82nd has been out for awhile now & the panic buying has hit all bp stuff like a ton of bricks unfortunately.
Thanks

If you're still looking.

If you're still looking.
I would avoid brass frames if you are looking to have something that will last the 1858 is probably one of the best ones you can get next to the Ruger Old army. which is the best. Unless you want someone for historical significance like the walker because you are a texas ranger

Last Edited:
I would avoid brass frames if you are looking to have something that will last the 1858 is probably one of the best ones you can get next to the Ruger Old army. which is the best. Unless you want someone for historical significance like the walker because you are a texas ranger
100% agree. These topstrap designs are far less likely to get capjam than open cylinder designs, and don't require you to remove the barrel to remove the cylinder for cleaning. I have two ROAs and my shooting buddies have a ROA and 3 1858's among them.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads