JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, spend quite a bit of time here reading but I almost never post...not sure why. I just don't. But, over the last several months I have come to the conclusion that I really need (want) a 9mm carbine. Something fun to shoot...and for some reason I just have never bought one.

I remember back when I was in early college I really wanted a Beretta Cx4 Storm. I thought they were cool looking (almost like something from Starship Troopers) and when I handled one at a local gun shop I thought it was very comfortable. But, I feel like the Cx4 is a bit on the "old" side and that other options have greatly outclassed it. While I do like the nostalgic feel of getting something I wanted when I was younger...I see no other reason for it than that. I had considered building a 9mm AR as I already have a pair of traditional AR-15s and am very comfortable with them. But, my research suggests they have some drawbacks and I suppose that is to be expected when to take a design intended to be a gas operated rifle and make it a blow-black pistol caliber carbine.

So, I keep going around and around with this...and I keep coming to the same conclusion. a CZ Scorpion is the best option for me. They are sweet looking, the reviews are excellent, and they have a lot of aftermarket options.

Part of my issue is...I can't leave well enough alone. I see that rifle and I see a wonderful base for a fun project. My first thought it the barrel is too long. So, that leaves me with 2 options. Buy a pistol varient or SBR the rifle. I don't know why it is, but I don't like the idea of a pistol with a brace. I know the ATF has said over and over again it's legal...it just bothers me. I also want to put a vertical fore-grip on it and as I understand it, that's illegal on a pistol. I don't know if I would ever be comfortable with that. So, I feel like that leaves me with the SBR option. Is it crazy to think that way?

I think a SBR Scorpion with a suppressor would be a really fun little carbine. I have a suppressor for my .22 and I love it and I think this would just be a blast to go along side of it. Is doing an SBR dumb when I could just do a pistol? Am I overthinking this?

Bullpup. Hi Point 995 in a HTA(High Tower Armory) MB95 stock, under $500 if you can find the carbine in stock or used carbine for $150-200ish ;)
Otherwise.. AR9 seems best option. CMMG Radial Blowback might be a good option vs standard blowback? Someone on here has worked on them?

I really enjoy my CZ Scorpion carbine for the reasons you mentioned. I am happy with the 16" barrel, but I am not adding on a suppressor to the length.

If you want to go the SBR route you are usually better off buying a pistol with the barrel length you want and then filing a form 1 and adding a stock. Most of the time it's easier and cheaper to swap/or add a stock than it is to swap out the barrel.

PCCs are a ton of fun, I don't have a Scorpion yet, but I do have a Sig MPX, HK SP5K, B&T USW-A1, B&T APC45 PRO and a CMMG Banshee 9mm. They are always my favorite guns to plink around with at the range.

I have a braced CZ Scorpion and it's a great shooter so you probably couldn't go wrong with it regardless of if you SBRed it or not.

That being said, I have WAY more fun with my "real" SBR Skorpion :D, but the aftermarket for the vz.61 is basically nonexistent.

Skorp (3).jpg

I don't know if you're interested in the traditional vz.61s since they're not exactly "carbines" even with a stock/brace, but I thought I'd mention that Czech Small Arms makes them in 9mm now, and even have models with factory threaded barrels (like mine).

czechpoint-usa is the only place I know of that imports them, but they also carry everything you need for doing an SBR conversion on the pistols.

If you want to go the SBR route you are usually better off buying a pistol with the barrel length you want and then filing a form 1 and adding a stock. Most of the time it's easier and cheaper to swap/or add a stock than it is to swap out the barrel.
I hadn't considered that. I will look into it. Thanks for the advice!

I have a braced CZ Scorpion and it's a great shooter so you probably couldn't go wrong with it regardless of if you SBRed it or not.

That being said, I have WAY more fun with my "real" SBR Skorpion :D, but the aftermarket for the vz.61 is basically nonexistent.

View attachment 743526

I don't know if you're interested in the traditional vz.61s since they're not exactly "carbines" even with a stock/brace, but I thought I'd mention that Czech Small Arms makes them in 9mm now, and even have models with factory threaded barrels (like mine).

czechpoint-usa is the only place I know of that imports them, but they also carry everything you need for doing an SBR conversion on the pistols.
That's awesome!

I have LOVED PCC's since LONG before they became "cool". In the last decade the shooting public seems to have really fallen hard for these things. Have them in 9mm, 10mm, and .45. The 9's I have 5 of now because a while ago I tried my hand at the Casper guns.
I would say if you like one, buy one. When the ammo comes back buy a lot, these things are easy to really burn through some ammo on once you start. One thing I did was went to where all of them I own now use Glock mags. Of course if someone only wants one this would not matter. If you do buy one and find you love it as much as I do may want to try your hand at the Casper guns too. They offer amazing versatility. One problem with them (Casper's) is cost. Once I found out how easy and fun it was I found I could easily spend enough to buy a decent car :D:D

I have a kalashnikov usa kp9 that I will be doing an SBR for, because one the SB tactical brace is $149. I'll just put that money to a tax stamp and put a Magpul CTR or a old school wood AK stock and be done.

@CamaroDMD

The one on the right is an SBR'ed CZ Scorpian with an HB K kit and a franklin binary trigger pack. Matched with SIG SRD9 can and a mag full of custom loaded 165 grain 9mm subs, it allot of fun. (SBR'ed SIG MPX on left and HK SP5K in the middle)

This photo is from a thread I did a while back on comparing all three. I provide a cost break down and shooting report. Hint - THE CZ wins and is my all-time favorite to take to the range, still is. However, since that post, I said a B&T APC9 was on my list. Well have a few different ones and they are a blast to shoot too. But nothing gets as small and compact as the Scorpian with that folded stock.

IMG_0594 6.jpg

Last Edited:
They are sweet but we're sweeter before 9mm went to $4-500 a case. I realy like my akv it uses scorpion mags but its heavy for its size but built like a tank and my favorite piece, the ar9 fits nicly in a backpack if i wanted to do so. The braces arnt so bad. 6D595DA9-2D97-424D-9DE6-FFAFC13D8F85.jpeg 8562000C-B56A-47CA-A60B-5C23F906D3D8.jpeg

I would go with the scorpion pistol and add a adjustable brace if I were in your position. I don't like giving the government more money for things I can legally get around. The new rugers are pretty cool also if you haven't checked them out yet.

I am going to go dark horse here and say cx4 with Sierra papa trigger upgrade. It is my favorite by a decent margin. I also have been acquiring the firearms I wanted when I was younger and nothing quite scratches that itch like exactly that. I had mine's barrel threaded. It would be my preferred carbine. It handles awfully well.

If not, the one that is a close second is cheaper, the NAK9 I have is phenomenal.. I prefer both of these to ar9s. And I have multiple of those too.

The CZ scorpion did nothing for me. The vz61, on the other hand is a favorite, but mine is in 7.65, and I haven't seen one in 9mm para, just 9mm makarov and .380.

The stribog gets great reviews.

Another if you can find it cheap and don't mind looking like a knock off 80's action hero is the MPA defender. Ugly, check, dated, check, disturbingly hilarious fun, check.

I like my SBRs. Though, for the love of all things holy and or holey, do a form 1 efile over a form 4 for SBR. MY last 3 efiles were 17 days, 16 days, and 17 days. My first form 4 was 22 months.

There seem to be two main camps: 1) plinkers and 2) 24/7 tactical.

1. Ruger or used Marlin Camp carbine.
2. Grand Power Stribog. Lotsa raves there.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top