JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've passed on a bunch of bulls. I discovered that I like sipping the "meat on the ground" whiskey that night (we don't open the bottle until there's meat on the ground) more than I like shooting big, stinky, tough bulls.

P
The good thing about spikes besides their more tender meat is that it doesn't feel so bad cutting up the antlers to make knive handles and pistol grips.

I swear I'm going to put you on my "ignore" list if you don't stop!!! :p;)

How about getting them out whole? I've never done it, but my hunting partners have.

IMG_2066_zpsej9a1sn2.jpg

Different bull

DSCN0713_zpsv1n5b0qf.jpg

P

Elk hunting usually involves wilderness skills , regardless how you go about it. Rifle or archery. Horse or on foot. I also liked the late season outside of Yellowstone Park.

I've passed on a bunch of bulls. I discovered that I like sipping the "meat on the ground" whiskey that night (we don't open the bottle until there's meat on the ground) more than I like shooting big, stinky, tough bulls.

P
Thanks Pharm, more big tough ones for me. Also appreciate the guys who shoot those tasty cows. That's saving another bull to grow a year older.

How about getting them out whole? I've never done it, but my hunting partners have.

Different bull

Our party has taken more whole bulls out than quartered. Especially since they got tactical 4 wheelers with winches and decks. Nowadays we are prohibited from going off road into the forest to retrieve an elk so not so much now.

Many elk we got we were able to drive to without ruining meadow. The best one was shot on a hill right above a gravel road... we slid him 50yds, went and got the truck, turned the truck bed to the bank of the road, and then skidded him the last 10yds "whoop" right into the truck bed... very cool.

I also liked the late season outside of Yellowstone Park.

About 5 years ago, my best friend booked a trip with Yellowstone oriented outfitter. They had glowing reports of all the elk they had taken over the years... came just shy of guaranteeing an elk. My buddy went, they took him just north of the park for many days. Each day he saw nothing but wolves. Bummer.

Last Edited:
C137CF93-6B95-4FE3-B50D-EA34DCC15B3B.jpeg
Well technically speaking Elk meat is venison but in general I agree Elk is usually better than deer. I have had some exceptional deer though, both Mulie and Whitetail. I have also had exceptional antelope and it is right up there with Elk in my opinion. It is all good in my book and my family eats very little beef as long as I do my part come hunting season.
We used to trade with the Kiwi boats when we fished off NZ. The lamb was outstanding, but the Red Deer was the best venison I ever tasted. Brought some home, and my folks agreed. Been back four times, by air, to hunt them. What they traded us was hind and young stuff, but go for the old, tough ones now.

The good thing about spikes besides their more tender meat is that it doesn't feel so bad cutting up the antlers to make knive handles and pistol grips.

I like to use four and five points for that. They have good knobs near the base, better grip. The rafters in the barn are full of them anyway.

Six pointers are too big around for my hand so I just use them as tool hangers. Mount a good rack upside down and you can get three rakes and three shovels hanging. Nice to keep the place tidy.

P

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads