JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seriously. My good friend took a cow elk in January and gave me some steaks off of the backstrap. I broiled some of them up and was hard pressed to believe just how tasty they were.

Even my wife, who normally turns up her nose at the mere thought of venison, loved them.

We have three little dogs and the taste of elk meat brought out all the wolf ancestry recessed in the marrow of their bones. I have never seen such frantic and shameless begging.

I like elk and deer , bear , grouse , rabbit , squirrel ...as pointed out above the shooting and eating of the aforementioned critters , is the easy part.
The hard part can be the hunting and cleaning of the same....:D

That said I relish my hunting time each season...and wouldn't trade it for the world.
Andy

Elk is my favorite, though I've seldom had it. (lousy hunter). The venison I had was extremely gamey, swamp fed.

That said I relish my hunting time each season...and wouldn't trade it for the world.
Andy
As I say to people, doesn't matter whether or not I harvest. I am spending time communing with God in His creation. Relaxing, awe inspiring, humbling and scary. I feel better for it every time I come out.

I used to think so when comparing blacktails and mule deer to elk. Then I ate whitetail.....
Corn fed and finished on "Farmer Ned's back 400" acres -- I'm told it's the best. :)

Missed getting to use my elk tag this past season due to unexpected surgery a week before the hunt. I am chomping at the bit for fall and hope I draw a tag. My OTC luck has been zero.

Elk is my favorite, though I've seldom had it. (lousy hunter). The venison I had was extremely gamey, swamp fed.

As I say to people, doesn't matter whether or not I harvest. I am spending time communing with God in His creation. Relaxing, awe inspiring, humbling and scary. I feel better for it every time I come out.

Corn fed and finished on "Farmer Ned's back 400" acres -- I'm told it's the best. :)
Like they say - you are what you eat. You are wasting an elk that's been eating skunk cabbage. Want ducks to eat? Don't shoot those that have spent too much time on the coastal bays. Deer on sage aren't near as good as those on grain, alfalfa, corn.

The worst tasting Sea Bird is the Sea Gull!!! Now that is Really, Really, REALLY BAD!!!

50 years ago, I was Instructing in Firearms at the Jungle Survival School in the CZ. The Snake Eaters conned me into going out for a night with the rest of the Class for a day and a night. One of the Rules was "If you kill it, you eat it!!!" and yeah I had to try to to trap, snare, set-up a dead-fall of something. Well, within minutes my snare had been tripped by a Sea Gull. Well, even with Salt, Pepper and Garlic Salt, it tasted terrible. I kept it down, I'm not sure just how but I did. Bar none it was the worst thing I have ever eaten. Oh, I did save part of it for bait in one of my other traps. The Rules said that was OKAY. Fortunately, I was only out for the one day. And, that was fine by me.

The worst tasting Sea Bird is the Sea Gull!!! Now that is Really, Really, REALLY BAD!!!

50 years ago, I was Instructing in Firearms at the Jungle Survival School in the CZ. The Snake Eaters conned me into going out for a night with the rest of the Class for a day and a night. One of the Rules was "If you kill it, you eat it!!!" and yeah I had to try to to trap, snare, set-up a dead-fall of something. Well, within minutes my snare had been tripped by a Sea Gull. Well, even with Salt, Pepper and Garlic Salt, it tasted terrible. I kept it down, I'm not sure just how but I did. Bar none it was the worst thing I have ever eaten. Oh, I did save part of it for bait in one of my other traps. The Rules said that was OKAY. Fortunately, I was only out for the one day. And, that was fine by me.
Good one! Soon after the Boat People arrived in SF, I happened by the Asian Market. There hung up on a clothsline labeled "Black-legged sea Chickens, were a line of cormorrents.

I'm not trying to be nasty to anyone but the Asians really seem to be able to eat most anything and they don't seem to like many of the things other cultures really enjoy.

Seriously. My good friend took a cow elk in January and gave me some steaks off of the backstrap. I broiled some of them up and was hard pressed to believe just how tasty they were.

Even my wife, who normally turns up her nose at the mere thought of venison, loved them.

We have three little dogs and the taste of elk meat brought out all the wolf ancestry recessed in the marrow of their bones. I have never seen such frantic and shameless begging.

Have your good friend teach you and if possible go with him next year;).

Public land seems to suck so if you have access to an area you know elk frequent at the right part of the year then your 10 steps ahead of the rest.

I see elk in the spring and summer but come fall I've yet to find one:oops:.

6 years running (except 2 years because of my knees) and haven't got one.

Wait till you try antelope!
Alfalfa fed antelope has to be the most enjoyable meat on earth.

That I have harvested.

A good ole cow steak fry aged is probably still the standard lol.

Elk backstrap roast is my favorite. Cooked ala prime rib. Low and slow for 6-8 hours till medium rare to medium is some outstanding yummy!

I'm not trying to be nasty to anyone but the Asians really seem to be able to eat most anything and they don't seem to like many of the things other cultures really enjoy.

True, they are survivalists by nature.
Anyone living or raised by previous generations in 3rd workd locations will adapt to survive.

No elk in their jungles.

I've been elk hunting the last 6-7 years with no luck. I just started puting in for cow tags in 2018 and will do so every year.
I've seen several cows. No bulls, at least not in season.

But I don't spend the time needed to be successful either.
I usually get up a couple days here and there.
I learn new stuff every year, and love to get out and explore God's country.
Out of cell service, out of traffic, and away from bun wearing, liberal half tards.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top