JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i'v been shooting a "BAR" in 7mm for quite a few yrs now, and i want to switch to the 300 mag (dist. w/ knockdown)+ my brother inlaw reloads these by the hundreds !
now the question is ..... the average recoil ranges from about 22.0 to 26.0 depd., so is the ruger 77 woodstock, 70 win. woodstock, or the sav. 110 woodstock the way to go ?
keep in mind .....i plan on buying used, and having the gun eather ported or muzzle break work done ! i'm trying to keep the recoil to around 20.0 or so if possable .....

thanks in advance.....steven

For hunting purposed, I wouldn't choose a muzzle break. I shoot a .300 wsm and a .300 wby mag. Shots fired at game somehow have little recoil compared to shooting from a bench: the extra noise and side blast are just not helpful in the field. For sighting purposes, get a lead sled and the recoil is handled.
More important is to practice with that magnum rifle(very few do)...learn your trajectory curve and range finding.

I had a decellerator recoil pad put on my ruger 77 .338 win mag. made the bench shooting managable. actually easier to shoot than my ruger 77 30.06 with the factory ruger hard rubber recoil pad. cheaper than having port work or a brake installed.

yup..to both......a friend has offered me a limbsaver & to-nite i talked to my brother in-law, and he can borrow a sled....... so mayne i can get this deal pulled together after all. oh ya the un-some 30/06, crap i started shooting this when i was 12, old sprgfld action cost my dad 25 bucks in "61".....i still think this is the reason i had to have roto-cuff repaired 2 yrs. ago

thanks fellas.....steven

The Lead Sled is a good product, but users need to understand that numerous reports exist regarding damage to firearms (magnums) as a result of using the Sled. Most probably the result of "overloading" the ballast, resulting in a "Lead Anchor" instead of a Sled. Also, the Sled does facilitate load development, but for final sighting, the gun should be fired off the shoulder.

As to brakes, they are also a great way to mitigate recoil, but even the ones advertised as "quiet" are nothing of the kind. Muzzle blast is increased significantly, and ear plugs in addition to muffs are the rule of the day. Most professional guides hold a strong aversion to brakes in the field, as the spotter nearby to the side of the rifle (read: the guide) receives much more blast than the shooter directly behind it. Shooters choosing to brake their big guns should insist the maker supply a threaded plain cap as well as the brake, so that the cap can be installed for field use if desired. A good brake, properly made and properly installed will not change point of impact or velocity. Having said all this, I do have a brake on my sheep rifle (a mere .270: I freely admit my aversion to recoil). Leaving it installed on a self-guided Dall's Sheep hunt (no nearby guide whose ears could be trashed) I fully believe contributed to my success: Recoil recovery was instant, I could see the bullet's impact, and knew my range estimation was spot-on, allowing a fast followup shot.

The Limbsaver pads are also a fine product, doing exactly what is advertised. The drawbacks are appearance (a Pachmayr Decelerator looks so much better on a gun), and fitting to the gun. Material used in the Sims product is very soft, and quite difficult for the intstaller to buff to a finished-look fit. One veteran smith I deal with will not recommend them for this reason. Sims advises freezing the pad prior to buffing for fit. This smith then postulates the obvious concern: If freezing hardens the pad nicely for machining, then it follows that the pad is rendered purposeless (hard) on a sub-zero morning in the field. Something to consider for those of us who take to the field in areas where such mornings are the norm rather than the exception.

The "made to fit" pads (of almost ANY brand), seldom (if ever) fit perfectly. My recent experience with a Sims "made to fit" pad for a Rem700 wood-stock gun resulted in a deplorably crooked fit. One more reason the Pachmayr "grind to fit" might be (and finally was) a better choice, and very nearly as soft as a Sims. My experience with the "made to fit" Limbsaver pads for a couble synthetic-stocked guns is better. Personally, I have never attempted to grind a Sims. I install Pachmayrs on my guns (and for others) on a regular basis, and the result/appearance/function is always very satisfactory.

thanks fellas!!! i do believe i have a couple of directions to go here....i'v done a bit of research myself, and the 700 rem bdl (wood & blue)with some sort of advanced recoil pad seems to be the way to go.....the "reviews" on the rug. 77, win. 70, and the sav. 110 arn't all that impresive once you hit the 7mm + cals.! these manufactures seem to have "liteweight" on their minds, and excessive "push & muzzle jump" seem to fall into play ! a "hunt" should be enjoyable by all, and this includes firearms used ! the old 06 i was raised on even made me flinch when i was 16 ! my 7 mm "bar" has never (69 vintage) put that fear in me (well, maybe the first 2 shots)! my big game hunts are up on the wheat stubbles in col. basin, and at times your shots are 500 + yrds.! most i hunt with are using the 300 mag, with great results! thanks for the input, and now i get to go "shopping" ! gotta love this part !!!!!!

thanks.....steven

Consider a good aftermarket stock to help reduce recoil.
<broken link removed>

I shoot a 300 wm Rem SPS that has some substantial recoil. Working up a load takes a lot of concentration and good form. When I was shooting at black bears last spring, I don't recall feeling any recoil at all. YMMV.

thanks....i'v had a couple phone calls w/ this comp. ( Richards Microfit Gunstocks ) they deal only in full stocks.....
i have M/S...so i have to use everything from fingers to shoulder as a complete form ! we, as shooters are supposed to do this anyway, but then again it took me a lot of practice, to get this down ! at the moment i'm looking at the "claro walnut" w/thumbhole . (they will ship unfinished, so i can carve it for a good fit) i should be able to get the palm of my hand in tight, it will also serve as a good leverage point. my brother inlaw shoots a rem. 700 s/s something in 300 mag., and he owns a lot of different guns ! he says he can shoot the rem all day, and some of his other guns are 5 rnd shooters.
it will be an a new adventure for me ! can't wait!!!!!!

steven

I'd advise against a thumbhole stock for a 300, or any other heavy-recoiling rifle. Your thumb will thank me later.
I will respectfully disagree with this advise. I put a bell & carlson thumbhole stock on a 338 mag/rem700, & I felt it helped with recoil quite a bit. my thumb never came away hurting. not even remotely. I ended up having a removable break installed, & put the factory stock back on, as I felt, for hunting, the TH stock was slower to get into action.

My father-in-law shoots a .300 win mag, and he uses a different type of powder in his loads that gives just about the same velocity, but changes the recoil from a hit to more of a push (if that makes any sense). Makes a ton of difference.

My father-in-law shoots a .300 win mag, and he uses a different type of powder in his loads that gives just about the same velocity, but changes the recoil from a hit to more of a push (if that makes any sense). Makes a ton of difference.

oh no ! it makes a ton of sence to me, as my brother inlaw has already mentioned it...i just kinda looked at him in amazement! naw, he says...piece of cake !! like i said, whole new adventure for me !

steven

rusobr2,I am never one to tell someone they don't need another gun,but...if your BIL reloads,why not buy the dies for your 7mm and build a hotter load?
Then go get a 300 too:s0155:

rusobr2,I am never one to tell someone they don't need another gun,but...if your BIL reloads,why not buy the dies for your 7mm and build a hotter load?
Then go get a 300 too:s0155:

believe it or not my "BIL" has already mentioned this fact.....as he can pick up the dies for a total of about 50 bucks, and i end up with another gun to-boot:s0155::s0155: !!!!

steven

i'v been shooting a "BAR" in 7mm for quite a few yrs now, and i want to switch to the 300 mag (dist. w/ knockdown)+ my brother inlaw reloads these by the hundreds !
now the question is ..... the average recoil ranges from about 22.0 to 26.0 depd., so is the ruger 77 woodstock, 70 win. woodstock, or the sav. 110 woodstock the way to go ?
keep in mind .....i plan on buying used, and having the gun eather ported or muzzle break work done ! i'm trying to keep the recoil to around 20.0 or so if possable .....

thanks in advance.....steven

Savage 110FCP-K LE w/ AccuTrigger, AccuStock & DBM 300 Win. Mag NEW! Savage Rifles > Accutrigger Models > Tactical for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from Harris Sporting. Buy or bid on this Savage 110FCP-K LE w/ AccuTrigger, AccuStock & DBM 30

The difference in shooting one of these & the older ruger m77 in 300 win mag is amazing. I shot 60 rounds at the range last time i took the savage out with no soreness or anything. It would of been torture with my old ruger.

well......after spending many hrs. on web sites, my "BIL", and i made a choice, and for a price vs. cond. & accy's., i was able to work out a deal w/ a new member here
early 70's win. 70 in exc. cond. 338 wm
"BIL" says everyone we hunt with are using the "brake system" so not to worry bout that, so i contacted "allison & carey gunworks" (who seems to have an awesome rep.) at a resonable price they can do the work, and it will cut recoil by 40% !
heres a couple pics of new gun (to me) anyways, and fit & feel is awesome (+ it's good looken)

thanks for all the help....steven
70win338004.jpg
Shot at 2012-04-14 70win338001.jpg
Shot at 2012-04-14 70win338003.jpg
Shot at 2012-04-14

Love my .300 mag. Recoil is not all that bad really. Not to talk you out of buying another rifle, but why replace a good shooting 7 mm mag? what does a .300 do that a 7 mm cannot? nothing really! If you really need the range like hunting Montana sheep, the ol 7mm is better at buckin the wind! I'm certainly not sayin you should not get a .300 but...........
Just my 2 cents worth.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads