JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Google, of course, maintains that the AI doesn't meet several critical criteria in determining sentience. They don't say what those are. I'm not aware of a standardized test for sentience, but it's not my area of expertise. I did run across this article on animal sentience, which to me should be the same thing:

TL/DR: The book says there are 3 main criteria:
"self-awareness is a sense of personal, particularly autobiographical, identity."

"metacognition is the ability to think about, or reflect upon, one's own thoughts and feelings"

"Theory of Mind (ToM) comprises capacities, such as perspective-taking, modeling of others' mental lives, including empathy"

No matter how convincing the act, can an AI ever truly be anything more than a simulation of sentient thought?

1654362576-20220604.png

Google, of course, maintains that the AI doesn't meet several critical criteria in determining sentience. They don't say what those are. I'm not aware of a standardized test for sentience, but it's not my area of expertise. I did run across this article on animal sentience, which to me should be the same thing:

TL/DR: The book says there are 3 main criteria:

No matter how convincing the act, can an AI ever truly be anything more than a simulation of sentient thought?

Are you a simulation?!!! :D

Slightly Sweaty Terminators

"So the scientists are all excited that they've covered a robot finger with living flesh. They even note that it's "slightly sweaty." ...

" You've got government officials telling you you don't need AR15s right about the time that Google's developing an AI but firing the guy who tried to make friends with it, while the Japanese are on the verge of building a killer cyborg for Skynet to drive.

"I think it's time to make sure that every strategic weapons launch system on the planet is good and air-gapped.

" It's like these scientists don't even watch movies."

Three Laws of Ethical Robotics?

" Instead, we've got tech giants, all with secretive corporate cultures and what appear to be control issues. " ...

Slightly Sweaty Terminators

"So the scientists are all excited that they've covered a robot finger with living flesh. They even note that it's "slightly sweaty." ...

" You've got government officials telling you you don't need AR15s right about the time that Google's developing an AI but firing the guy who tried to make friends with it, while the Japanese are on the verge of building a killer cyborg for Skynet to drive.

"I think it's time to make sure that every strategic weapons launch system on the planet is good and air-gapped.

" It's like these scientists don't even watch movies."

Three Laws of Ethical Robotics?

" Instead, we've got tech giants, all with secretive corporate cultures and what appear to be control issues. " ...

This reminds me of the short story Galley Slave by Isaac Azimov.

Wow...
I heard of this development obliquely only recently, but had not really listened/read any more about it. This is wild, in a Brave New World sort of way...
What caught my attention was the AI dude stating "It's just a different type of person".

What happens when your Tom Tom gets jealous and pissed that you used your smart phone navi instead and decides that your self driving car needs to turn right and cross the guard rail into the ocean? They need to start right now and make AI non female from the get go.

What caught my attention was the AI dude stating "It's just a different type of person".

What happens when your Tom Tom gets jealous and pissed that you used your smart phone navi instead and decides that your self driving car needs to turn right and cross the guard rail into the ocean? They need to start right now and make AI non female from the get go.
What happens when someone gives an AI access to infrastructure? It will be able to act far faster than humans can react. You probably don't want a two year old to have that kind of power.

What happens when your Tom Tom gets jealous and pissed that you used your smart phone navi instead and decides that your self driving car needs to turn right and cross the guard rail into the ocean?……
1656098419731.jpeg

Not saying it was AI….

(but not ruling TomTom out… ) 🤣

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR