JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new to guns and everything that comes along with them, but iv been hearing a lot of concerning news of isis and iv had a couple b&e attempts, I also just got marred and I want to be able to defend her and I. And if it comes to it Take it to the streets and defend my community. I don't have a lot of disposable income so I need your help to make good decisions on how to go about all this

For someone that does not have a lot of experience with firearms, the best thing to do is start with a beginners handgun class. It should be one that gives you class time instruction about everything like safety, holding and firing a gun, basics on the laws and cleaning and storage. Its great if the class also has range time where you can rent a gun, learn how to fire it under direct supervision and also get to test out some common hand guns.

There are several supporting vendors that offer classes which is where I would recommend starting
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/#supporting-vendor-forums.56

Threat Dynamics is right in your area as well
<broken link removed>

The Clackamas county sheriff has a public training center and gun range that is probably reasonably close to you as well for another option

http://www.clackamas.us/sheriff/pstc.html

For defending your home theres two very good relatively inexpensive choices. #1 - a shotgun in either 12 or 20 guage. I would take 12 first as it is the larger bore and more variety in ammo types. Load with 2 3/4 inch buck shot #4 or 00 buck. You can find low recoil loads if you or your bride are recoil sensitive. A used Remington or Mossberg pump gun should be $400 or less.

The other good option is a pistol - if you are budget conscious buy a used one - glock , smith n wesson, ruger, springfield - something in 9x19mm (aka 9 parabellum or 9mm Luger) as the 9mm will be easier to shoot for a novice shooter and is a very effective round. Only use a good hollow point round for defense - leave the cheap target rounds for practice. You can get a used gun from the makers mentioned above for less than $500. New ones depending on model go new from $450 - 700 if you prefer brand new.

Take a basic gun safety class asap - you dont need to own a gun to take a class. Make sure the gun shop or seller shows you how to disassemble the gun and put it back together.

And once you buy the gun - practice with it whenever you can.

Welcome to the forum.

You will hear many, many opinions in the gun community about the best gun, best round, etc but all that can be boiled down to the statement "The best gun for self defense is the one you have with you."

In an urban setting, over penetration is a big concern. That means that your shot went through someone, through the wall and into the next apartment. Shot guns loaded with a medium shot are good choice but shotguns are not quick handling. There are safety bullets that are designed to fragment on impact and not penetrate walls. They are expensive so they are not for practice.

You must also consider the security of the firearm in your home. Quick access and secure storage are essential. DO NOT leave it laying around. There are many great quick access lockers or brackets for both handguns and long guns that serve both functions. I would stay away from fingerprint readers and get a push button style. I have an older mechanical drawer style that works fine.

If you are awoken in the wee hours by a home invader you will be sleepy, you will be stressed to the max and your judgement will be impaired by fear. I recommend that whatever house gun you decide on that it have a quality gun light attached. Many newer guns have an accessory rail for mounting tactical lights but a quality flashlight attached to the muzzle of a shotgun will work if you are low on funds. The last thing you want to do is shoot a loved one by mistake. A quality light is the ultimate in target acquisition and identification.

I have had nearly every type and style of gun made in 40 year of gun ownership and I will tell you what I settled on. For home defense I have a Glock 17 (9mm pistol) in a lock box with a mounted halogen light with laser. ( ($350 for a used Glock and $250 for the light)

For concealed carry I have a Keltec P3AT .380 pocket pistol. (remember the best gun is the one you have with you.) A little gun like this is effective at close range <20' and will get the job done. ($200 used)

You can get yourself started with an older pump shotgun in 12 or 20 gauge for $150. If it is a long barrel you may cut the barrel to 18-1/2" (less than 18" is a felony) measured from the breech to the muzzle. I do not recommend cutting the stock. A clamp for the light can be purchased at Brownells, Midway USA or many other on line sources. A mid quality, focused tactical light will run you $40 to $80. In a close range home defense scenario the center of the light will probably be your aim point so don't scrimp here.

Remember, you are not James Bond or Jack Bauer so the goal is to end the confrontation, not to shoot someone. The best burglar alarm in the world is sometimes called the Idaho burglar alarm; the "CHA-CHINK" of a 12 gauge pump being cycled.

Take a basic gun safety course or if you cannot afford one you can PM me your phone number and I will take you to my range. (at your expense).

You're going to find conflicting advice here and all over the web (and from gun people everywhere). Here are some fundamentals on which I think most of us agree:

1. Training. Operating your firearm safely and reasonably accurately isn't rocked science, but it takes training. Take a course. The cheapest way to go is the NRA Basic Pistol class which is two days, 7 hours each. It's often taught by volunteers (still certified NRA instructors) to keep the cost down. The one in my area is $75.

2. Practice. Practice as regularly as your budget permits. Precision with a firearm is a perishable skill. Get out to the range at least once a month if you can.

3. Have a plan. Know what each of you will do if someone attacks you - a plan for home and another for when you're out and about. There is a lot of good, free information on the web. I'm not saying that you need to take ninja classes or practice waving a gun around in your house, just have a plan for what each of you will do, where you will meet if you are split up, that sort of thing.

4. Learn the law. Each state has different laws for self defense, gun ownership and where you can carry. Again, a little bit goes a long way. You don't need to take law courses, but you should know whether you can carry in your local park or not before you go, and what to say or not say if - God forbid - you do have to use deadly force to defend yourselves.

5. Something. I've probably skipped something important. Some other member will be along shortly to fill in number 5. :D

6. Oh yeah, I forgot Pick your own gun. Find a gun that you're comfortable with - preferably both you and your spouse. Lots of gun store cowboys will try to sell her a little revolver which she will probably later find she doesn't really like. Take your time and try out as many different guns as you can before you buy. You may both like a 9mm semi-auto, a 12 gauge shotgun or for all I know maybe a 44 revolver. You never know until you try.

Best thing you can do is take a basic handgun class. Learn how to handle a firearm safely and know how to handle/operate it.
Learn the simple rules of safety and LIVE by them. Never sacrifice safety for anything or you will end up hurting/killing yourself, someone you love or go to jail forever from hurting someone else.
1. A gun is always loaded. When you unload it or shoot the last round off. It's still loaded. Got it.
2. Muzzle control. ALWAYS keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction. Don't point it at anything you don't want destroyed. Know what's behind every wall or vehicle, etc
3. Trigger control. Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to fire. ALWAYS! Especially in a home defense scenario.
4. A gun is not a toy, and people should never know you have it. When friends come over is not a show piece. Don't treat it like your shiny new car.
5. KNOW YOUR LAWS!!! Know what you can do and what you can't do. Know the laws regarding self defense, carrying a firearm, and use of force. Read about court cases involving firearms in different scenarios.
Cops and judges don't care what your intentions were. Law is law.

Test out several firearms, read reviews, buy the firearm that you will want forver. Not just one that is cheapest, etc.
I would suggest a handgun smaller one that will work all around. Home defense, carry, target all of it. Then add on from there

And keep asking questions here. There is a weath of knowledge!

Along with the self defense type training already suggested. You might also look into a Hunters Safety Class put on by one of the gun ranges (Four Corners Rod and Gun Club in Salem has a number of classes through out the year. You go to ODFW to sign up on line. (Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife)
They will give you shotgun and rifle handling training (both could be in your future) Granted if your not interested in hunting there will be parts of the classes you don't need but they are very interesting.

You're going to find conflicting advice here and all over the web (and from gun people everywhere). Here are some fundamentals on which I think most of us agree:

5. Something. I've probably skipped something important. Some other member will be along shortly to fill in number 5. :D

Don't know what number to assign it, maybe #1.

Vote with gun rights as your 1st priority! Law abiding gun owners are getting the squeeze if you haven't been paying attention lately.

As a new gun owner it's your responsibility as much as safety. This next election you have some clear choices on gun rights issues.
We are in danger of becoming California or NY if we don't stay on top of this.

I am all for the above suggestions, but also I would recommend getting a dog. I love dogs. They are awesome protectors, and bad guys generally hate them. Bigger the better. In my case it's a 90 pound AmmStaff. He is a big lover, but he lets us know if anyone comes near.

Any attack will be a surprise. ISIS or ordinary criminal.
Your success begins with your brain.
-Situational awareness-
You already practice it, by stepping around the coffee table, avoiding an oil spill in the parking lot.
Defensive Driving-Aim high in steering, get the big picture, keep your eyes moving, leave yourself an out.
First rule of First-Aid, is the scene safe?
See the developing issue, make a plan to reduce it. By avoiding the train-wreck.
You are married, so your planning involves protecting the family and yourself.

Any attack will be a surprise. ISIS or ordinary criminal.
Your success begins with your brain.
-Situational awareness-
You already practice it, by stepping around the coffee table, avoiding an oil spill in the parking lot.
Defensive Driving-Aim high in steering, get the big picture, keep your eyes moving, leave yourself an out.
First rule of First-Aid, is the scene safe?
See the developing issue, make a plan to reduce it. By avoiding the train-wreck.
You are married, so your planning involves protecting the family and yourself.

Well put.

Yeah iv just been reading a lot about isis attacks on our soil

Trust me I understand your concern and desire to protect your family. Just be careful about getting to into having a gun and feeling like you should chase down the gang bangers down the street. That is what I mean by we do not take it to the streets.
Your job is to protect you and your family unless you are witnessing someone helpless in dire need of help. Like being raped, beaten, or anything that has them in extreme danger.
As others have said read the laws closely so you keep yourself safe and legal with whatever firearm you get. Take courses. Listen to the teachers even if they are mostly boring. There are lots of new gun buyers around and not enough are taking proper classes to learn how to use a very powerful tool.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top