JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At 15 feet, using a cylinder bore, shot will generally spread about 10-12 inches.

10 to 15 feet? I don't think I've ever seen more than a 6" spread with a cylinder bore. The point is that yes, I was left with the impression that you meant aiming rather than pointing. I'm not going to respond to the insults. Have a great weekend.

a firearm is for deadly force. you only use it if your are in danger of grave bodily harm.

if you want deterrence, that's what pepper spray or wasp spray is for.

another vote for a shotgun.

you don't need to aim shotgun regardless of the ignorant may say - YOU POINT IT. that's why hunting shotguns have BEADS and not SIGHTS. Don't believe me, look it up (aim or point a shotgun)

Shotguns are great because of the HUGE amount of different ammunition you can get for it - some with very little recoil as well as low penetration through walls... or blowing huge holes though multiple walls - choice is yours

Another great thing is the modifications you can do to some - Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 / 590 for example have many, many after market items you can purchase to customize to fit exactly what you need, including barrels for different lengths, folding stocks, bayonets, lights, optics, etc...

Finally, I'll give you the four main rules to firearms:

1)treat all firearms like they're loaded, all the time.

2)never point a firearm at anything you aren't willing to destroy.

3)keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire

4)know your target and what is behind it.

happy hunting!

I'm new to guns and everything that comes along with them, but iv been hearing a lot of concerning news of isis and iv had a couple b&e attempts, I also just got marred and I want to be able to defend her and I. And if it comes to it Take it to the streets and defend my community. I don't have a lot of disposable income so I need your help to make good decisions on how to go about all this

I think the best thing you can do for yourself at this point in your life is to spend the money on a good remedial English class. It appears you may have failed this course in high school.

Shotgun.
Because it uses a lot of little pellets that spread out as they fly through the air, you don't necessarily have to aim the weapon precisely on the target.
DeanMk

This is exactly why the shotgun is not a newbie weapon.. you are responsible for every single pellet, and there are too many variables, even different patterning between loads. In spite of a lifetime of shottie experience and reloading my own hand cast buck and slugs, I have an entire written defensive shotgun manual as well as the Magpul training videos, which every shotgunner should own, and memorize

another vote for a shotgun.

...you don't need to aim shotgun regardless of the ignorant may say - YOU POINT IT. that's why hunting shotguns have BEADS and not SIGHTS. Don't believe me, look it up (aim or point a shotgun)...

Call it whatever you like. My original point was around the myth that you don't have to aim a shotgun because the shot spreads so much. I didn't want the OP to get the wrong impression. Insulting people doesn't help your cause any more than shouting. Just so you know, I have a shotgun for home defense - I just don't recommend it to someone who hasn't shot much yet.

If you are on budget this pistol and this rifle will serve you well whether you need home protection or fast powerful rounds down range at some ISIS terrorists that are nearby.

First set budget of $800
Pistol: DB9FS,holds 15 rounds of 9mm and can be had for $290 from buds gun shop http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...4/Diamondback+DB9FS+DB+FS+Nine+15+1+9mm+4.75"

Rifle:CIA Wasr-10 AK,in 7.62x39mm,p,cheap reliable battle proven design and it holds 30 rounds.
only$518,
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...d/93403/CIA+RI1826N+GP+WASR+7.62X39+RIFLE+LAM

Second Set,budget of $400-$350
Pistol:Zastava 70A,these are a modern produced Tokarev and are a reliable design,used today in almost every conflict around the globe,they hold 9+1 rounds of 9mm or 7.62x25mm,can be had for $211,
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_1059/products_id/411553099/CIA+HG3182-
N+Zastava+M70A+9%2B1+9mm+4.5%22

RIfle:Mosin Nagant,possibly the most iconic and recognizable bolt action rifle from WWII these things win wars,holds 5 rounds of the powerful 7.62x54R.
Only $160,also comes with a bayonet for all your stabbing needs.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+7.62x54R+Laminated+Stock+Excellent+Condition

Call it whatever you like. My original point was around the myth that you don't have to aim a shotgun because the shot spreads so much. I didn't want the OP to get the wrong impression. Insulting people doesn't help your cause any more than shouting. Just so you know, I have a shotgun for home defense - I just don't recommend it to someone who hasn't shot much yet.

Sorry I hurt your feelings.

Next time I'll write, "lacking knowledge and/or information on this subject". Ignorant was a very mean word.

:)

Shorty3-1-.jpg

i've used a serbu to shoot 25yard trap just for the lolz. it doesn't spread as much as you'd think. it handles extremely poorly. recoil even with the lightest trap loads is ridiculous.

4. A gun is not a toy, and people should never know you have it. When friends come over is not a show piece.

Au contraire, mon frere!

A gun is as much a toy as a shiny new truck, or an RC car or a baseball glove, or a ham radio, or a box full of new power tools . . . et al. A riding lawnmower is not considered a toy by many, however I bet that if you've ever bought one it was just as much fun as a new toy is to a kid. The more you use it the better your lawn looks, and the more proficient you become using it as it was intended to be used.

The more you learn about, use, fondle, maintain, adjust, tinker, and - yes "play" with your toys and tools the better you will be.

Become one with your gun, Grasshopper.

Go to a nearby indoor shooting range and gun shop. Have the friendly staff show you all of their wares and try them out. Fondle them, use them, learn about them and find the one that speaks to you.

Take your time, have fun and carry-on!

1. Stop watching the news and thinking the end of days is coming. It's not. People have thought this way for 2000 years. We're proof it's not.

2. Have more love than hate in your heart. If you even think about a firearm for defense. Think in terms of who you will protect, not attack.

3. Read the laws. Then read them again. And again, until you know what you can and cannot do. Read about self defense cases and what can happen if you choose or have to use a firearm against another person. Learn the consequences.

Then get an all around firearm that can serve you well in several areas, thinking about sport, defense, cost of the firearm and of ammo.

It's great that you are interested becoming a gun owner. You have valid reasons for considering doing so. I would suggest as the others did, proceed cautiously. While we all have fun and jest around here, we have a lot of collective experience and we all know too well what the consequences of a poor decision would be.
Think of it in terms of the inexperienced teenager buying a new 180mph Ninja as his first motorcycle. What often happens in that type of scenario? It comes down to training and experience. It's no different with guns. That being said, one has to start somewhere.
Like the others have stated, take the courses! Get them under your belt. While anyone can buy a gun with the intention of using it for home defense, a lot can go wrong. In addition to taking the courses, read the headlines everyday in relation to gun use. Also, watch the "gun fail" videos on utube. You don't want to be in one of those videos.
Above all, welcome to the forum and the community. Please, pick our brains. We like to support each other here. There are no dumb questions. If you don't feel comfortable posting something, just PM one of us.

Good info here for noobs and experienced owners alike, though the OP might as well be dead from a home invasion due to lack of training, since he hasn't been on since 16 Oct 2014.

@crstrode, strongly disagree with your 2nd sentence, which also conflicts with your 4th sentence. Wrapping your ego in the object is not about "becoming one" with said object. In my experience and observation, it distracts you from that achieving that.

@crstrode, strongly disagree with your 2nd sentence, which also conflicts with your 4th sentence. Wrapping your ego in the object is not about "becoming one" with said object. In my experience and observation, it distracts you from that achieving that.

I never referred to, or implied anything about ego - let alone Id or psyche.

It seems Your ego has gotten the best of You

1. Stop watching the news and thinking the end of days is coming. It's not. People have thought this way for 2000 years. We're proof it's not.

2. Have more love than hate in your heart. If you even think about a firearm for defense. Think in terms of who you will protect, not attack.

3. Read the laws. Then read them again. And again, until you know what you can and cannot do. Read about self defense cases and what can happen if you choose or have to use a firearm against another person. Learn the consequences.

Then get an all around firearm that can serve you well in several areas, thinking about sport, defense, cost of the firearm and of ammo.
I wish more people thought this way.
Excellent post, clearconscience.

Dean

My bad. Seems I mis-interpreted "Au contraire, mon frere!" to equally apply to both toy and telling others.
No, I don't believe that guns are toys.

Big boy toys, big boy tool - call it what you will. Whats that phrase Marines like to say...

This is my rifle, this is my gun, one's for fighting, one's for fun?

I have guns that are tools - my carry guns, my liberty defending rifle - but I have some that are fun guns. My .22 bolt gun is a fun gun. A man toy.

My fishing rods are man toys. Some guys collect muscle cars, or knives, or power tools. As we get older we still play with toys. The toys change (mostly, you are never too old to play with legos, models, or building blocks) but we still play. How boring would life be without some form of play?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top