JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got the digest, was hoping for some good info. not sure I got any.

Been shooting for years, got my first Glock this year, because you know.

It's a gen 3 17 that has some work done and I upgraded, slide, barrel red dot etc. I shoot it reasonably well, but don't like the gun. I have to work to shoot well. The trigger sucks. And for the first time have had slide bite issues. Minor, but there.

I have been waiting for the new Lone Wolf lowers hoping that will make me like it and have a better trigger. If not, will probably sell and look for another full size I will like, been keeping an eye out for something, but not sure what.

I did the cz75 and too heavy for what I want

On the other end, I have a Sig P365 that is extremely natural and considerably more comfortable and could probably shoot all day vs the full size 17. I don't know if it's grip angle, width or what, but if I could get a P365 that had a 4-5" slide and help 18-20 rounds I would be all over it.

In my research I found this post over on AR15.com.......

My favorite is when a guy in a gunstore picks up a Glock, places his hand ultra-low on the grip, tea-cups with his support hand and strikes his best T.J. Hooker Weaver Stance while squinting through one eye and then pronounces that the "grip angle doesn't point naturally". He'll often then follow this up by placing the gun back on the counter with a look of disgust.

This gunstore cowboy performance art is occasionally taken to it's apex when said practitioner of dumbassadry picks up a Taurus Judge and comments on how you get "three shots for one". View attachment 577003

:p

:rolleyes::D

Well, I don't get it either!
Until 1986, I owned revolvers of all kinds, a 1911 Gold Cup, a Model 39 S&W and a Savage 1907 in .32 acp.
In '86, I bought my first Glock 17. I took to it like duck to water. I was a Distinguished Master in PPC. So I don't get it.
I can ride any motorcycle, drive any car or truck, shoot any gun. I adapt quickly to all.
I introduced them to the Douglas County S.O. in 1990. It was a 120 officer dept. at the time and everyone had revolvers, except me. Everyone's qualification scores went up dramatically. Most from the 70 percentile to high 90s and 100s. Several officers thanked me profusely for introducing Glocks to the dept.
Sooo, I don't get it. To me, Glocks are great guns, durable, accurate and lightweight on my hip all day. My record to date on long range, from my out of the box Glock 17, is consistently 180 yards. Jerry Miculek's record for a 9mm is 1,000 yards. I'm working toward that goal.

Last Edited:
I just really don't. When folks complain about Glocks and blame "grip" angle it makes me think they maybe just can't adapt to any gun that isn't a 1911. I mean, I own Glocks, M&P's, several revolvers and even 1911's. I have NEVER considered grip angle to be an issue. Use a combat grip (modified for revolvers of course), point it, line up the sights and shoot. The small angle difference between them all doesn't slow me down.

What about the Ruger MK series. Not the 22/45 but the MK? Nobody complains about the atrocious grip angle. Why not?

This isn't a Glock fanboy thread. Think what you want but I've been more into M&P's lately regardless of my avatar. Oh, and I've considered a liquidation of some hardware to put an STI DVC in the safe, so there's that.
After training hundreds of police officers both in my department and the Oregon Police Academy, plus nearly 8,000 civilians, in the last 44 years, I submit many people have never been taught the basics, don't like guns that much, or just plain can't shoot.

Last Edited:
Grip angle doesn't matter much to me if I'm using the sights. As I draw and begin to acquire the sights, my hands automatically adjust to line the sights up regardless of the angle. When shooting close range, I might be a smidge off when shooting something other than my duty weapon, but its not enough to matter.
Same here. I automatically bring any and every gun to bear, immediately. Natural point shooting or aimed shooting, doesn't matter what I'm shooting at or what handgun is in my hand.
The first time I heard someone tell me that the Glock grip angle is wrong, or odd...I said..what? I don't have a problem with holding or pointing any handgun.

Yeah. I just read all the time how people can't shoot a Glock because of the grip angle. I never understand it. I EDC a Glock because they are stupid reliable and I can hit what I aim at. Are they my favorite handgun? Nope. Some might be shocked at this, but they actually aren't at all. They work when needed, and that's what I ask for in a tool I rely on to save my life. Do I like shooting them more than anything else? Not even close.

It's not that people can't shoot Glocks, to me, it's about shooting comfortably. I had a G19, I could shoot it well even. I just didn't like having to adjust my grip, it didn't feel natural.

Yeah. I just read all the time how people can't shoot a Glock because of the grip angle. I never understand it. I EDC a Glock because they are stupid reliable and I can hit what I aim at. Are they my favorite handgun? Nope. Some might be shocked at this, but they actually aren't at all. They work when needed, and that's what I ask for in a tool I rely on to save my life. Do I like shooting them more than anything else? Not even close.
Yep Glocks are tools that work when you need them to. No more no less.
And yes there are many other nice firearms out there.

I started with glocks and while I can shoot anything else, I trust myself with glocks in a SHTF moment over another solely because of practice with them. I don't usually use sights out to 10-15 yards with a glock but if I try that with something else I tend to shoot a bit low.
If I'd started with something else I'd probably trust myself with that instead of glock, again, just due to practice.
Practice practice practice. Practice and familiarity is what it's about for me.

@Kruel J grip angle doesnt make me shoot better or worse. adapt and overcome, brother.

plus im such an excellent shot anyway

:rolleyes: ...i once shot a light switch with my kids nerf gun to turn on the dining room light from across the room...grip angle on that thing didnt make a difference at all....you saw the video :D

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yep, been doing that for 52 years and counting. 65 years if you count all my cap guns. Anyone remember the full size, full weight, "peacemaker style" cap guns that had removable cartridges that came apart and the cap fit inside the bottom of the shell casing?

I adapted to the Glock's various ergonomic sins by buying something else entirely.

Then again, I dumped a lot of gals in my dating life too. Adapting to a bad situation is the sucker's play.

I adapted to the Glock's various ergonomic sins by buying something else entirely.

Then again, I dumped a lot of gals in my dating life too. Adapting to a bad situation is the sucker's play.
Too each his own I guess. I found the Glock to be ergonomically terrific. It was my gun of choice for police work, or anything else.

I started with glocks and while I can shoot anything else, I trust myself with glocks in a SHTF moment over another solely because of practice with them. I don't usually use sights out to 10-15 yards with a glock but if I try that with something else I tend to shoot a bit low.
If I'd started with something else I'd probably trust myself with that instead of glock, again, just due to practice.
Practice practice practice. Practice and familiarity is what it's about for me.
I have put over 7,000 rounds through my Glock, right out of the box, since 1986. It has never failed and I've shot all brands of commercial loads and hundreds of my own lead bullet reloads. Never an issue.

Only gun I've ever had an issue with with regards to grip was an old Colt Bisley I inherited from my grandfather in 32-20. Between the odd grip angle relative to everything else I shoot and the 7 1/2" barrel, it definitely wasn't in my wheel house.

I'm sure there are more proficient pistol shooters than me that have "issues" with the Glocks grip angle but generally speaking, unless I know otherwise, when people raise it as an issue I assume they aren't very proficient with pistols in general.

Only gun I've ever had an issue with with regards to grip was an old Colt Bisley I inherited from my grandfather in 32-20. Between the odd grip angle relative to everything else I shoot and the 7 1/2" barrel, it definitely wasn't in my wheel house.

I'm sure there are more proficient pistol shooters than me that have "issues" with the Glocks grip angle but generally speaking, unless I know otherwise, when people raise it as an issue I assume they aren't very proficient with pistols in general.
Well, I can understand that "one size does not fit all"......but I agree, a proficient handgunner should be able to shoot anything.
As for the Bisley, I prefer it to the SAA 1873 Peace Maker style. I love the grip angle and with my smaller hands and short thumbs, it's much easier for me to cock and deliver quick shots on target.

Well, I can understand that "one size does not fit all"......but I agree, a proficient handgunner should be able to shoot anything.
As for the Bisley, I prefer it to the SAA 1873 Peace Maker style. I love the grip angle and with my smaller hands and short thumbs, it's much easier for me to cock and deliver quick shots on target.

Are we talking this one? maybe it's just what I'm used to (or my larger hands) but I have a heck of a time not adjusting my grip all the time shooting it. (My grandfather's isn't in quite this nice of condition, but same gun).
8788158_1.jpg

i know 1911 and glock has similar or close grip angle, but 1911 is way more comfortable to hold. so for me, must be more of grip thickness over angle.

i know 1911 and glock has similar or close grip angle, but 1911 is way more comfortable to hold. so for me, must be more of grip thickness over angle.

I think you're right. Glock recently came out with the G48, which is basically a single-stack G19 that holds ten rounds, and people are raving about how good it feels.

Glock_G48_Silver_slide_view.jpg

RCS-on-the-Glock-43X-and-Glock-48-discussions-3.jpg

Are we talking this one? maybe it's just what I'm used to (or my larger hands) but I have a heck of a time not adjusting my grip all the time shooting it. (My grandfather's isn't in quite this nice of condition, but same gun).
View attachment 577738

I have the Ruger version of the Bisley in .45 Colt and it isn't as radical as the Colt grip. I don't mind it at all, but my Cimmaron Arms 1873 does feel better.

IMG_20160820_194745938.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads