JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I made it through yesterday. After chewing for 30 years I quit cold turkey. It's been about a year and half now. Yesterday the thought of a big fat chew hit me and I wanted one in the worst way.
I thought if I just have one it would fill the need. I know there is not just one , I would have been back to it on a regular basis. Anyway made it through without one.

Last Edited:
I made it through yesterday. After chewing for 30 years a quite cold turkey. It's been about a year and half now. Yesterday the thought of a big fat chew hit me and I wanted one in the worst way.
I thought if I just have one it would fill the need. I now there is not just one , I would have been back to it on a regular basis. Anyway made it through without one.
Good on you! Keep it up it's worth it in the end.

Congratulations. I quit smoking cold turkey in 1973. I was smoking 2.5 packages a day back then (military and could afford them). There have been times when I would get the urge. But then later found out I was allergic to tobacco. Just remember to tell yourself that you did not need it yesterday, and you will continue down the road. Again, congratulations! You broke as nasty habit.

Congratulations. Have never been a 'chewer' but did smoke for 20+ years long ago. Suggestion: find a psychotherapist and do a hypnotism session (1) and have them help you with 'the urge'. I started smoking when I was 13 and smoked 2-3 packs a day until my daughter was born. (She is now going on 35). Once I did the hypno I have rarely even thought about relapsing. And not relapsing is the goal. As they say, one day at a time. Congrats and good luck going forward.

I made it through yesterday. After chewing for 30 years a quite cold turkey. It's been about a year and half now. Yesterday the thought of a big fat chew hit me and I wanted one in the worst way.
I thought if I just have one it would fill the need. I know there is not just one , I would have been back to it on a regular basis. Anyway made it through without one.

Cold turkey sucks man . So hard haha. If you break down and HAVE to have something, get the ZYN from your local gas station. Comes in 3mg or 6mg. My VA doctor is the one that recommended them to me to take the edge off. It's literally just Nicotine with some flavoring, without all the garbage in a can of chew.

Aside from that. Good job dude.

Great job! And great idea to post here for support and accountability!

Just remember ...

At every step in life, just make sure the next step finds you doing the right thing. One right thing at a time, one after another. Repeat.

So the next time the urge hits ask yourself "What is the next right thing I should be doing?" … and then do it. You have already proven you can, hold on to that fact and keep it up!

Oh, and by the way … GREAT JOB!

Congratulations man! Stick with it. I quit smoking for about 5-6 years and had the same thing happen, thought I could have just 1. I was wrong. Went out the next day and bought a pack. Worst mistake I've made. I currently have 14 cigs left from my pack, goin on the patch tomorrow. I find that not drinking helps A TON.

Good job, I can tell you that just having one tiny one leads to another tiny one, that leads to a nice big one, which leads to the mini mart. I quit after 20+ years. Had a few tiny ones a few times, cuz I could handle it. I couldn't :( That happened a couple of times, and it was always after years of not having any.

It sucks, you'll be doing something and think 'man this would be a great time for a dip, just like the old days' . Or you smell something that reminds you of it. Can you tell I think about it often?

Stay strong!

We quit smoking 8 years ago this September cold Turkey. One of the things that helped me deal with urges was that I downloaded a stop smoking app. This app, when you first start, you enter a bunch of information like cost per pack, packs per day, date and time when you quit.

I would open that app and it would give me stats of my progress. How many days, how many cigarettes I hadn't smoked, minutes saved from end of life ... but for me personally, how much $ saved since I quit.

Looking through that app for a few minutes was enough to help through the urges.

Congrats and good luck.

I can have just one drink.

Did I schay one?

100 itty bitty shrinks...drunks, drinks, yeah, that's it, I'm rolling now...downhill...does this ride ever shtop?

Congratulations man! Stick with it. I quit smoking for about 5-6 years and had the same thing happen, thought I could have just 1. I was wrong. Went out the next day and bought a pack. Worst mistake I've made. I currently have 14 cigs left from my pack, goin on the patch tomorrow. I find that not drinking helps A TON.

I had the same thing happen! I talked with my Dr. and he prescribed Chantex and it worked great!!! The only downside is the side effects crazy dreams and can cause depression I only got the dreams. I haven't smoked for about 5 yrs now it fells great.

Stacy

congratulations, have chewed since i was 12, have quit a thousand times.
always go back to it

Chewed for many years and had the same problem. Nicorette gum helped me kick the habit; allowing me to taper off nicotine slowly.

Edit: and so true concerning the other posts - definitely can't go back. Even after 10+ years I still get the urge to buy a can of copenhagen sometimes.

Chewed for many years and had the same problem. Nicorette gum helped me kick the habit; allowing me to taper off nicotine slowly.

Edit: and so true concerning the other posts - definitely can't go back. Even after 10+ years I still get the urge to buy a can of copenhagen sometimes.
Longest I made it was just short of a year, then... deer season rolled around.

I too am a reformed terbaccy user.

If I'm ever given the old: You got 3/6 months to live, I'm going to: Smoke quality, hand rolled premium cigars, the occasional Marlboro red while chewing Redman and dipping some Skoal.

I love tobacco in all it's majestic incarnations!

Longest I made it was just short of a year, then... deer season rolled around.

That's what makes it so hard to quit; it's literally associated with everything one likes to do. Shooting, the smell of water and outboard exhaust, pine trees - the list is endless lol. The associations do go away after a few years, so it does get easier.

I started Copenhagen when I was 12. Quit at 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, etc...… Once I hit 33 I quit again. I was 6 months into it and I had one of those moments. The next time I drove to Seattle (which I did weekly) I was going to get a can for the trip. Just one dip, couldn't hurt....

Long story short I didn't go on that trip, rather I got the flu and as a result couldn't keep anything down for the next 5 days. Massive caffeine headache for the first 72 hours. WTF was going on? I had gotten to the point that I was mainlining two stimulants...a can of Cope and a pot of coffee daily. Took away the Cope and left the coffee, I was strung out and jittery.

Dropped the coffee/caffeine because of the flu and there have been no cravings since, that was 22 years ago.

-Dean

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR