JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm surprised even the semi wadcutters work. Useful info, as the Keith style semi wadcutter is one of the most tried and true hunting bullets. It may vary with the individual gun and load. At least that's what I've read about Marlin lever actions in .357 and .44. Apparently some will shoot semi wadcutters and some don't.
Jacketed semi wadcutter.

opplanet-federal-45-auto-185gr-fmj-swc-match-50-gm45b-bbdbff.jpg ycCOKBtl.jpg

Well, that stupid grip shape and long hammer fall, that's why.

I honestly love the look of the single action, but I have to work very hard to shoot well with one. Shooting a DA revolver in single action it's much easier for me to hit the target. The SA grip shape does very well with recoil, but it's not the best for anything else, in my opinion.
Right there with you. I really want to like single-actions, but everyone I've acquired, eventually, got sold off. The same cannot be said for DA wheelguns. (In fact I did a decent amount of shooting with the Model 29 this morning. While there is no such thing as the "perfect" handgun, this one is about as close as it gets to one for me. But undoubtedly wouldn't be the case for all. But, I digress.)

IMO it's all in the trigger. My Ruger Redhawk had a trigger job that was basically a two stage in how ir felt. Very, very crisp after the takeup and as good as any single action. If the cowboy style handle wasn't such a pain I'd still have it. Unfortunately bought it used so I don't know who did the trigger job,

Ordered a laser cartridge to practice with as well. See if I can keep the laser in target throughout the pull of DA.

Looked at springs and such for the SP101, I think I'll hold off on messing with it for the time being. Same goes for taking it apart and polishing things. I might in time, especially the Taurus to attempt to smooth out the trigger some if any.

The last few days have been hell here, but my wife seems to have turned the corner a little today and is feeling slightly better, so I had to get out of the house for a while.

I went to the range and did a little shooting. Here's a cylinder full from a 1937 S&W 45 acp revolver, shooting double-action only, wrists rested on the bench (no sandbags). It's right at 3" at 25 yards. I really can't do too much better than that shooting single-action.

IMG_1535.jpg

Ordered a laser cartridge to practice with as well. See if I can keep the laser in target throughout the pull of DA.
OR go get a box of the Speer plastic bullets and FL resize brass but DO NOT expand and flare.

Prime with mag primers and set up a box in your shop with a heavy towel inside to stop the bullets.

Simply press the bullets into the primed brass and you have some fun, but pretty accurate short range practice 'ammo'. If you miss, the bullets will ricochet around but you will find them and they will be totally reusable.

OR go get a box of the Speer plastic bullets and FL resize brass but DO NOT expand and flare.

Prime with mag primers and set up a box in your shop with a heavy towel inside to stop the bullets.

Simply press the bullets into the primed brass and you have some fun, but pretty accurate short range practice 'ammo'. If you miss, the bullets will ricochet around but you will find them and they will be totally reusable.
Buy the plastic shells they sell to match and you don't need to use Magnum primers, although they will give a bit more "oomph" to the process. We used these in the garage with a cardboard box filled with newspaper all crumpled up to catch the bullets. Works very well.

As to single action revolvers, I have a '73 Colt (Cimmaron/Pietta) and a '75 Remington (Uberti), both .45 Colt. I really enjoy the Cimmaron '73 especially. I bought it brand new at Sportsmans Wharehouse a couple years ago for $399, hadn't had one before. I know I've shot at least 500 rounds through it, probably more (sure glad I cast and reload). I love it. I like the way it feels and it shoots great. I can ring the gong at 100 yards consistently. It's definitely a favorite.

I had shot Ruger Blackhawks before, several times, but could never quite get used to them. Nothing against them, they just didn't quite fit me for some reason. Somehow it's different with this Colt clone.

A friend of mine does that but with wax.

You can use std primers as well but the plastic shells SUCK - regardless of the primers used.

They often 'cushion' the FP strike and misfire. Learned that early on and after that just used FL sized and primed brass.
I drilled out the flash hole to leave only a small ridge to seat the primer on. This worked to keep the primers from backing out and locking up my gun. But then you have to keep these out of my reloading pile. DR

I was using plastic WC in a .44 Mag shooting at a target mounted on the garage wall - small gap. I hit the bullseye and the bullet ricocheted and hit me in the forehead. That was the last time I used a target without having something soft to stop the bullet. It did leave a mark and stung. Good thing that I had safety glasses on.

Ok plastic bullets sound like a fun project and cool way to train.

You can use std primers as well but the plastic shells SUCK - regardless of the primers used.

They often 'cushion' the FP strike and misfire. Learned that early on and after that just used FL sized and primed brass.
Never had that problem. Maybe because I didn't use Magnum primers.
We were using these in a S&W 642.

Looked at springs and such for the SP101, I think I'll hold off on messing with it for the time being. Same goes for taking it apart and polishing things. I might in time, especially the Taurus to attempt to smooth out the trigger some if any.
The laser training cartridges for revolvers only flash for a fraction of a second as the firing pin hits the part of cartridge that mimics primer. So they are great for dry fire practice overall. But not as good for evaluating your trigger squeeze as a laser that is turned on and stays on. Such as a crimson trace grip laser or a laser that attaches to the piccatinny rail on a semi auto. However, there are also bore sighting cartridges for revolvers that stay on when you turn them on. I don't know how long the battery would last. It's replaceable. Probably long enough to get the basics of DA shooting. I think it would really only take one good dry firing session since you can already shoot revolvers well SA.

Last Edited:
If it fits in the cylinder of a DA revolver, the "training cartridge" will be all but useless.

The cylinder turns...

@OldBroad44 's suggestion of the laser grip or rail mounted light would bypass this issue.

The laser thing I ordered looks like it actually goes in the barrel. It is for revolver training. Supposed to be used with snap caps.

here is a picture from the web

1630588475620.jpeg

If it fits in the cylinder of a DA revolver, the "training cartridge" will be all but useless.

The cylinder turns...

@OldBroad44 's suggestion of the laser grip or rail mounted light would bypass this issue.
Actually, the laser training cartridges for revolvers make a great dry fire practice devise if you have one for each cylinder. So useful and fun that I have a complete set of six each in .38/.357 and .44sp/.44mag. These cost me about 40 each at Amazon so roughly $240 for six, but have not been available at Amazon for more than a year. Just checked the manufacturer, G-sight; they now list only .45 Colt and not .38/.357 or .44. And its listed for eighty something each. They have replaceable batteries. The devices are shaped like cartridges and can be loaded into a revolver cylinder just like cartridges. The end that has the primer analog is both a snap cap and the activating button for the laser. The laser is nice and bright so you can aim it at whatever you want even in daylight. You don't need special targets or systems for tracking your results. But other than .45/.454/460 they don't seem to be available now.

I agree with oregun that the grip or rail mounted lasers are better for mastering DA shooting, as you can see exactly what happens during trigger squeeze. The cartridges are better for embracing the whole experience. The grip or rail mounted lasers don't tell you very precisely what the gun was pointed at the instant when fired.

There are also laser training cartridges or devices for semi auto calibers. These work quite differently. They fit into the barrel of the semiauto. There is a gap on the rim that can be oriented so the device is not engaged by the extractor so just stays in the barrel. These cost as little as about $20 and are available in pistol, rifle, and shotgun calibers at Amazon. And you only need one per caliber. I don't have any of these yet. I think you have to remove them by inserting a cleaning rod or something from the muzzle end. I think how useful they would be would depend on the action type of the gun . I'm thinking of getting a SA/DA pistol like the FNX-Tac and/or the CZ P07. These guns have exposed hammers. With a Glock or other striker fired gun, you would need to rack the slide between every shot. I suspect I would find that not very fun. Even with the DA/SA semi autos, you can practice SA by cocking hammer between shots. And DA in strings, which isn't equivalent to anything the gun does. And you can't practice first shot DA with the rest being SA without cocking hammer between shots,, which is what the gun does do. So I don't think the devices will be as useful as those for revolvers. But we will see. Or maybe not. I don't have a very good track record for going off to buy a semiauto and coming back with a semiauto instead of another revolver.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top