JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Question - how exactly does a laser assist in 'training' with a DA revolver ?

I mean it leaves no evidence of a mark on the target so how does this help exactly?
You can see where you're dragging your impact on target with your untrained trigger pull.
You'd have to simply be honest with yourself and not try and cheat by correcting your final results.

Similar concept to establishing your grip at low ready, closings your eyes, and extending your handgun to firing position with eyes still closed.
Open eyes and see how far off the sights are. Attempt to correct your grip.

I mean it leaves no evidence of a mark on the target so how does this help exactly?
My thinking is that it would show me where I'm moving my point of aim around throughout my pull of the DA.

The laser thing I ordered looks like it actually goes in the barrel. It is for revolver training. Supposed to be used with snap caps.

here is a picture from the web

View attachment 1023838
I'm not familiar with these. What are they called and who makes them?

The laser training cartridges or devices I've been talking about load into a revolver cylinder or a semi auto chamber exactly where the chambered round would go. The firing pin hits the activation button and the laser flashes. The flash travels down the bore. They aren't a device that sticks in the muzzle.

I'm not familiar with these. What are they called and who makes them?

The laser training cartridges or devices I've been talking about load into a revolver cylinder or a semi auto chamber exactly where the chambered round would go. The firing pin hits the activation button and the laser flashes. The flash travels down the bore. They aren't a device that sticks in the muzzle.

It's just their universal one. Though I'm not sure it stays on. Will find out when I get it.

Kind of what I thought. Never used a laser on a gun so I wouldn't know.
The only one I've ever used is the one on our 642. (I say ours because the wife doesn't carry it anymore and I use it sometimes)
Even though they are pretty bright, using it on an unlit wall while dry firing will show the shooter how much they wobble the barrel around while pulling the trigger. Was even easy to see at the Clackamas County Public Safety Center range. I saw what was going on with my wife shooting and got her to slow down the trigger press. She then did a bunch better.

Somebody has one that lights up when the hammer or striker falls. I don't remember if it was the LaserLyte one.
Looked into it a bit. The one I got worked off the hammer drop, but can be rigged to stay on. I'll play around with it.

What kind of revolver do you use with primer only plastic or wax bullet loads?
Any kind that will chamber 38 Special or 357 Mag if you're using these Speer cases and bullets.
These are super simple. Snap the bullet into the case. Push in a small primer. Great for very short range practice.
Trainer boxes.jpg Trainer case and bullet.jpg trainer assembeled.jpg
The bullets seem to be reusable many times, the cases split after a handful of firings. Not sure if these are available anymore. I've had them for a long time.
We would shoot a target stapled to a large cardboard box full of packing paper and could do it in the garage.

Last Edited:
Any kind that will chamber 38 Special or 357 Mag if you're using these Speer cases and bullets.
Ditto this - just be careful! These are pretty stout and will punch drywall and one level of a Folgers coffee can at short range!
Not sure if these are available anymore. I've had them for a long time.
I know I have seen the bullets available but no casings.

Speer still shows 'em on their website but really they are not needed if you reload.

Simply size, but do not flare and bevel cases, prime and push the plastic bullets down into the cases.

Last Edited:
These are super simple. Snap the bullet into the case. Push in a small primer. Great for very short range practice.
View attachment 1025743View attachment 1025744View attachment 1025748
The bullets seem to be reusable many times, the cases split after a handful of firings. Not sure if these are available anymore. I've had them for a long time.
We would shoot a target stapled to a large cardboard box full of packing paper and could do it in the garage.
Well, that answers why you have never had to enlarge the flash hole in a cartridge case. The plastic case flash holes are already opened up.

Your, "File a groove on the rim to identify." in reply to a plastic bullet with standard cases question; implied you were also using modified brass cases.

When a revolver fires regular ammo, the primer backs out a small amount. Powder ignition then pushes the case back over the primer. Using primer only plastic or wax bullets with an unmodified case also backs the primer out a bit. But without powder ignition, the primer does not reseat. This locks up the cylinder.

Enlarging the flash hole eliminates primer back-out, allowing the revolver to function normally with primer only wax bullet loads.

To make wax bullet rounds:

Use new or resized cartridge cases.
Enlarge the flash hole to prevent primer backout.
Press the case mouth into a block of paraffin, (such as commercial Gulf Wax).
Pull the case from the paraffin.
Seat a primer to complete the round.

Note: Seating the primer before pressing the case into the paraffin block will make the wax bullet back out from trapped air pressure.

Last Edited:

The Crimson Trace grip laser turns on when you grip the gun via the button on the grip and stays on until you loosen your grip or put the gun down. You are aiming laser at the target. I use a nickle sized black magic marker circle on an index card. Leave the center of circle white. The little circle is one target; the index card is a less demanding target. The range is close. Say ten feet, though I have such cards all over at different distances and heights in my bedroom and hall. You are aiming gun via placing the red dot on one of the little circles on an index card. (You aren't using the iron sights. Your eyes are focused on the target with the red laser dot on it ten feet away, not on the iron sights on the gun. )

Lets suppose that your grip isn't hard enough and your finger alignment is such that you push the gun left as you pull the trigger. You will be looking at the target, and will clearly see the dot move left of target as you pull trigger and snap back to the target as you release the trigger. Even at a short distance of ten feet, the laser might move three inches left and back. Its really obvious.

So then after a couple minutes of experimenting you learn that to keep the dot on the target during DA trigger pull you must grip the gun much harder and change your grip and the part of the trigger finger engaging trigger so that when you pull trigger you are pulling it straight back instead of pulling gun left or right.

The grip that works for me when shooting with two hands is to wrap left thumb over right thumb on left side of gun so powerful left thumb is maximally positioned to keep gun from being pulled leftward during DA pull. The palm of the right hand stabilizes gun from being pulled right during trigger pull. Its tempting to want to grip gun so that you can cock the hammer for SA without lifting both thumbs. Such as putting left thumb down on top of left fingers and right thumb on grip above left thumb. And that grip gives me my best accuracy with shooting .22 SA semi autos. But not revolvers in DA.

Last Edited:
My experience shooting mostly good DA/SA autos and a K frame S&W is that revolvers have a real advantage for DA shooting. The grip proportions, angle and trigger finger clearance allow me to isolate the trigger pull from controlling my grip.

So my suggestion is to concentrate on squeezing the revolver firmly with the lower three fingers and keep the trigger finger loose. You can use thumb pressure to balance the trigger movement.

Try it dry firing.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top