Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I can't believe these pix.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by fredball, Nov 27, 2012.

1. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Nightshade

Nightshade vancouver,WA Well-Known Member

Good lord many of those would be hard to survive if any

3. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

JESUS CHRIST! and some people wonder why they are getting flipped off while passing:confused:

plasticfood and (deleted member) like this.
  4. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

Scary as hell. Never knew so many had dash cams

5. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Things I learned from that video:

1) There are actually some good drivers who avoided accidents (or, they were just incredibly lucky)
    2) I guess seat belts aren't mandatory? Lots of bodies thrown from vehicles. Maybe it doesn't matter if your vehicle is literally ripped apart by a semi-truck?
    3) You could make a killing operating a tow truck company. Or, a body shop. Or, a junk yard. Or, a meat wagon.

hman40cal and (deleted member) like this.
  6. safetyman

safetyman Clark County, WA Active Member

Ouch.

7. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

It's amazing how fast your life can come to an end with one mistake in a car. Some of those crashes you barely had time to even react.

8. jp1985

jp1985 Linn County, Oregon Active Member

Agreed. Very disturbing videos.

9. Uberdillo

Uberdillo Oregon Active Member

I still can't tell whether these Russia videos are from lower driver standards and a disasterous driving culture or American's simply don't have dash cams. I stopped watching live leak vids from Russia because I started to get this feeling that I didn't want to get in my car. I love my car and its dutifully sacrificed itself for me on at least one occasion.

10. coyoteman5

coyoteman5 North south east west Active Member

It seems like the uk and Russia and India have dash cams.
    Wonder if its to cover their a$$ incase something does happen.
    I'm thinking a lot of people over there do not carry insurance so some have cams to prove what really happened. I live in forest grove and I thought of getting a dash cam cause people out here with walk right out in front of you (not in a cross walk) And expect you to just stop on a dime. (J walking) I don't mean they step out in front of you a ways out they step out when your close enough you have to hammer the brakes and they look at you like you're a jerk for almost hitting them. Oh another good place for video like this is live leaks.

11. blk04specv

blk04specv Hillsboro Member

This scares the hershey squirts out of me. I'm moving to North Dakota at the end of next month. Hopefully people like to take it slow over there.

12. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

A large percentage of those would be teen male drivers.

I was one of the worst examples. Drove like a complete maniac. Never injured or killed anyone which was amazing. I once totaled six other cars driving 100mph+ down St Helens Road with almost no brakes. (I downshifted and used the emergency brake lol). Two of them were rare classics.
    Didn't have to pay out a dime because it was ruled that my Blazer had an unforeseen brake failure.

Look around you everyday at the idiots you encounter and then picture them behind the wheel with your life in there hands.

The main reason I stopped riding motorcycles. Too many close calls with this kind of stuff. At least in a car you have a chance.

13. jp1985

jp1985 Linn County, Oregon Active Member

That is why I will never ride a motorcycle other drivers scare the he double hockey sticks outta me, and as you said at least with a car you have a little steel between you and them.

14. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Did you say motorcycles?

Black Devil - Moscow Ride on R1 - YouTube

Keith

15. Cuthbert Allgood

Cuthbert Allgood Clark County, WA Well-Known Member

speaking of icy roads, here are some of my own pictures that were taken in northern arizona and along easbound i-90 in western montana.

010.jpg
    027.jpg
    029.jpg

eastbound i-80 in wyoming:
    wyoming008.jpg
    wyoming007.jpg

EB i-90 in montana:
    MontanaTrip004.jpg
    MontanaTrip010.jpg
    MontanaTrip011.jpg

super bowl eve 2008 - somewhere in alberta:
    iceroadtrucking009.jpg
    iceroadtrucking014.jpg
    iceroadtrucking020.jpg

just east of boise:
    ice004.jpg

16. CrossHairs

CrossHairs Tigard Active Member

I've watched a few of those Russian crash videos and there are a few common themes, but speed is certainly a big factor. Something that does strike me too is that there seems to be a scant lack of consideration for other road users over there. Road laws might seem like a pain somedays, but they are there for a reason. Can you imagine i5 in a complete free for all?

It's also scary to see bodies ejected from vehicles because they don't wear a seat belt. I used to ride motorbikes too, and having done a superman impression over the top of a car, I would not recommend leaving a moving object at speed. The road hurts when you hit it.

I'm also thinking a dash cam would be a good idea, for lots of reasons. However, I guess it could also be used against you :)

17. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

Worked for ODOT 33 years and you can't belive the stupid things I've seen or had to respone to. Winter time is the worst.

18. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Un-freaking-believable.

I wonder if that guy is still alive. He must have had like 12 guardian angels watching over him.
    When he straddles the center line, with cars coming at him just inches away, I wanted to just look away, but couldn't.

And I don't think that takes balls of steel, just a deathwish.

19. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

That made me cringe. I will say that, IMHO, if you're a pedestrian and you step out into the street without looking both ways and being completely aware of traffic in both directions, you're genes will be subject to negative selection.

20. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

I have to admit the person is f-ing crazy, but to get the full effect of the clip put the full screen on and put a leaf blower in your face going full bore. makes it feel like you are the one filming the ride