JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
1568226738813.png

I ordered the 10-foot bullwhip from the Art Of Whips in Great Britain. I haven't had a beauty such as this since dad passed away in 1975. I am refamiliarizing myself with the art and, in short order, should be able to manipulate it rather well.

BTW, Tijuana was a blast as was Rosarito and Puerto Nuevo. If you have the opportunity to visit the Tijuana Cultural Center (in the Zona Rio) and the Tijuana Wax Museum (Museo de Cera) you would be well advised to visit these houses. The Cultural Center Museum was 27 Mexican New Peso(s) and the Wax Museum was 25 Pesos (about $1.50).

The food on the streets and in the restaurants was outstanding. Six large shrimp roasted on a stick at the beach was 50 Pesos and in a beachside restaurant, a Fish Tostada (Ceviche) and Shrimp Tostada + a 12 oz (355ml) Sprite cost $5.30 + propina (tip). At the Hotel Caesar, a full-sized order of their proprietary salad was about $8.00 + propina (tip).

Two pair of beautiful semi-casual leather shoes cost me $40.00 and a silver ring mined from deep in the country ran me $18.00. By the way, my Mexican whip was bargained down to $25.00.and Lisa at El Girasol (The Sunflower) sold me a pair of Huaraches for $22.00.

Traveling back-and-forth to the beach was about $0.80 each way and it ran $1.21 each way to Rosarito. (The group taxis are very inexpensive).

I haven't enjoyed myself this much for so little money.

Last Edited:
View attachment 616348

I ordered the 10-foot bullwhip from the Art Of Whips in Great Britain. I haven't had a beauty such as this since dad passed away in 1975. I am refamiliarizing myself with the art and, in short order, should be able to manipulate it rather well.

BTW, Tijuana was a blast as was Rosarito and Puerto Nuevo. If you have the opportunity to visit the Tijuana Cultural Center (in the Zona Rio) and the Tijuana Wax Museum (Museo de Cera) you would be well advised to visit these houses. The Cultural Center Museum was 27 Mexican New Peso(s) and the Wax Museum was 25 Pesos (about $1.50).

The food on the streets and in the restaurants was outstanding. Six large shrimp roasted on a stick at the beach was 50 Pesos and in a beachside restaurant, a Fish Tostada (Ceviche) and Shrimp Tostada + a 12 oz (355ml) Sprite cost $5.30 + propina (tip). At the Hotel Caesar, a full-sized order of their proprietary salad was about $8.00 + propina (tip).

Two pair of beautiful semi-casual leather shoes cost me $40.00 and a silver ring mined from deep in the country ran me $18.00. By the way, my Mexican whip was bargained down to $25.00.and Lisa at El Girasol (The Sunflower) sold me a pair of Huaraches for $22.00.

Traveling back-and-forth to the beach was about $0.80 each way and it ran $1.21 each way to Rosarito. (The group taxis are very inexpensive).

I haven't enjoyed myself this much for so little money.

My dad taught me to use one when I was 11 or 12 to drive cattle.

What kind of leather is your new whip made of?

I'm still occasionally using a 12 plait kangaroo hide whip I picked up back in the 80's. Most of the folks that work for me have never used one and get a kick out of learning to use it.
The Art Of Whips has some Kangaroo whips of varying lengths. They quoted me 200 British Poinds Sterling +shipping for a 10-foot black whip (not counting the handle, fall, and cracker).

They also have some made from paracord that are relatively maintenance-free.

I based an entire Indiana Jones halloween costume around a Tijuana-bought bullwhip... the catalyst was a vintage fedora found at an AZ thrift store.

If I learned one thing about bullwhip usage, it's that it AIN'T the same as lockerroom snap-towel grabass... you could really hurt someone w the whip.

BTW, the whip was bought in the 80s. The costume was a good 20 yrs ago. I'm a much more serious person now...
:s0056:

I have never seen the bullwhip as a toy. This is because I was introduced to them when I was 9 years of age. Dad's wooden-handled 10-foot blacksnake was serious leather! Even the little 4-foot whip could cause serious damage were it mishandled.
This new piece of tanned hide should produce some pronounced results.

I have never seen the bullwhip as a toy. This is because I was introduced to them when I was 9 years of age. Dad's wooden-handled 10-foot blacksnake was serious leather! Even the little 4-foot whip could cause serious damage were it mishandled.
This new piece of tanned hide should produce some pronounced results.

Agree 100%. It's always been a tool we used working the ranch. Never a toy.

We send my folks to Australia on a Condo Swap and they brought me back a VERY find Whip. It really produced a fine Crack and I have done some REAL damage to a few different things. I'm VERY sure it would damage a human!

I think that a leather Sjambok would make an excellent self-defense tool. The South African Sjambok (made from Rhinoceros hide) were used for driving cattle and crowd control. To this day, they are viewed as an oppressive tool of apartheid.

I remember as a young kid goofing around with one of those things... I managed to catch a FULL ON crack of that muddah-pluckah squarely between my shoulder blades.... it was without a doubt the most writhing pain I ever experienced. Never EVEN touched one since!

o_O

I'm still occasionally using a 12 plait kangaroo hide whip I picked up back in the 80's. Most of the folks that work for me have never used one and get a kick out of learning to use it.
Had a 10' cowhide one, bought in Wyoming in '84 at Chet Weldon's shop in Jackson. Once I realized it was a lot like fly casting, it was easy. Used to flick leaves and apples out of trees with it, also whipping out identified cans from a row of them. If I hit it just right, it would tear the aluminum.
After "mastering" how to use it, I would try to teach people how, they would invariably whip themselves.
Yes, they can be used as a serious weapon.
I must have put it away wet one year, went back to get it out the next, heavy green mold and cowhide rot turned it into junk.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads