JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I spoke with an Oregon FFL this morning who said it is business as usual for semi-auto transfers to WA residents. He said they were told by the Feds and Oregon State that they can legally transfer semi-auto firearms to WA residents just as they had been prior to July. If you are in the market for a semi, I would suggest you call around to different Oregon FFLs and start in Milwaukie.

Interesting. I just spoke with a friend who works for a dealer in that area who told me no more transfers of semi automatic firearms direct to WA individuals....only WA FFL's. Pays to call around, it seems.

I spoke with an Oregon FFL this morning who said it is business as usual for semi-auto transfers to WA residents. He said they were told by the Feds and Oregon State that they can legally transfer semi-auto firearms to WA residents just as they had been prior to July. If you are in the market for a semi, I would suggest you call around to different Oregon FFLs and start in Milwaukie.
Since people are getting conflicting versions of this maybe post the name of the places you guys in OR are hearing this?

The feeling I got when I talked to my friend this AM was that some businesses are so concerned about the confusing and often contradictory laws, that they didnt want to bet their business on it. Cant help but wonder if that's exactly what the anti gun folks were hoping for. Frustrating times....

Since people are getting conflicting versions of this maybe post the name of the places you guys in OR are hearing this?
If you are ready to do a transfer then Call Curt's in Milwaukie and they will explain the details. This could change in the future so I suggest WA residents, in the market for an easier semi-auto transfer, take advantage of it now. AR-15 Guns Portland

As I understand it, the FFL-relevant federal laws say that interstate transfers must comply with the laws of both states. So, no superseding here.
I am guessing the Oregon State Police are not set up to handle whatever BS requirements WA is imposing on their subjects. Feds and OSP have evidently told Curt's and probably others to do business as they have been in Oregon.

It's seems only fair since Washington doesn't follow Oregon law regarding background checks when Oregonians transfer firearms in Washington.

I too have heard from several of the more popular gun shops in the greater PDX area that it's business as usual regarding sales/transfers to WA residents. A couple were saying that before 7/1, the others have more recently made the decision.

On a side note for WA residents. They are running stripped receivers just as they did prior to 7/1. No 10 day wait and no BS safety course and no HIPA access. This was a last minute decision by the state. A stripped receiver does not fall under the 1639's definition of "Assault Rifle". Which is totally incorrect in the first place. Non of us own a true assault rifle legally.

On a side note for WA residents. They are running stripped receivers just as they did prior to 7/1. No 10 day wait and no BS safety course and no HIPA access. This was a last minute decision by the state. A stripped receiver does not fall under the 1639's definition of "Assault Rifle". Which is totally incorrect in the first place. Non of us own a true assault rifle legally.
Oregon FFLs doing business as usual will really benefit the 18 to 20 year old folks who can't purchase lower receivers.

I too have heard from several of the more popular gun shops in the greater PDX area that it's business as usual regarding sales/transfers to WA residents. A couple were saying that before 7/1, the others have more recently made the decision.
There is precedence for FFLs not following bordering States laws. I purchased a long gun in WA as an Oregon resident. Oregon law states that FFLs have to contact OSP to do background check. The WA retailer did not call OSP. They used the feds system to run the background check on me. That would be one example of FFL not following a bordering State's law.

Oregon FFLs doing business as usual will really benefit the 18 to 20 year old folks who can't purchase lower receivers.

I don't recall any language in 1639 that says it is illegal to own and posses a rifle under age. So if an under age goes to Oregon and buys a rifle. There is nothing WA can do if they are caught with it in possession.o_O

I don't recall any language in 1639 that says it is illegal to own and posses a rifle under age. So if an under age goes to Oregon and buys a rifle. There is nothing WA can do if they are caught with it in possession.o_O
Exactly! If you are 18 to 20 and in the market for semi-auto rifle, run don't walk to Oregon FFL. Pick up a TV, tires and some scratch off lottery tickets while you are here.

At least they got one thing right, especially given that AR lowers can be made in to manual loading rifles, shotguns, etc.

At least they got one thing right, especially given that AR lowers can be made in to manual loading rifles, shotguns, etc.

Keep in mind that means "ANY" stripped receiver. AR/AK/HK/GALIL/UZI. It also includes a stripped bare pistol frames. I have 2 in process now. So that would be a benefit for any private sales. If you can ask the seller to strip the pistol to the bare frame. Then send that to your FFL and keep all the parts. When things clear, reassemble the frame.:rolleyes:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR