JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone thanks for the warm welcome to the site! But I have a question. What would be someone's options that purchased a butterfly knife from a private seller without realizing they are illegal to possess in their state? Let's say it the seller won't refund and it was a pricey knife like Benchmade pricey, so the buyer is hesitant to just let it go but knows the law.

since seller refuses to refund could buyer even do anything to report if seller doesn't ship it anyway? What if seller ships it anyway after buyer informed him of the legality of ownership?

Buyer doesn't want to illegally possess an unlawful weapon of any kind let alone get possibly caught attempting to sell an illegal weapon.

Speaking only for myself here...and nothing / no one else...

I would keep quiet about it...
And if I did not want to keep the knife...
I'd look into laws regarding knives in bordering states...then take a road trip to a more "knife friendly" state and try to sell it or trade it there.

Speaking as a moderator :
If this happened here on NWFA as a sale....please report the sale / conversations.
Andy

I would say it's the fault of the buyer for not checking it out before the sale (handing over money) then wanting the seller to give it back which he is not obligated to for buyers remorse.
I would hope that whom ever learned a valuable lesson and will not let it happen a second time, we should learn from our mistakes and blame ourselves.

Speaking only for myself here...and nothing / no one else...

I would keep quiet about it...
And if I did not want to keep the knife...
I'd look into laws regarding knives in bordering states...then take a road trip to a more "knife friendly" state and try to sell it or trade it there.

Speaking as a moderator :
If this happened here on NWFA as a sale....please report the sale / conversations.
Andy
Nothing to report on here. Just looking into it from others living in wa or familiar.

I would say it's the fault of the buyer for not checking it out before the sale (handing over money) then wanting the seller to give it back which he is not obligated to for buyers remorse.
I would hope that whom ever learned a valuable lesson and will not let it happen a second time, we should learn from our mistakes and blame ourselves.
No one was blaming or accusing either party of fault at all.

If someone in one state chooses to send money to another person in another state, trying to buy something that is not allowed in the state of the buyer? The buyer should have been more informed. An old adage, ignorance of the law is no excuse comes to mind.
This sounds like the many times where someone does something "dumb", then wants someone else to fix it for them.
Buying on line if done right is very safe. If you pay by Credit card and do not get what you paid for you get your money back. If someone chooses to pay some other not safe way, and then on top of it orders something not allowed where they live? Too bad for them.

I thought I was pretty clear...

If I got the knife...I'd keep quiet about it...If I didn't want to keep the knife...
I'd look into knife laws in surrounding states...and go there to sell or trade it.

What are you actually asking / what are we missing...?
Andy

Here's my hypothetical plan (it's not advice, legal or otherwise). If the item hasn't shipped yet, my hypothetical person would tell them not to ship it. If they still ship it at that point, he'd refuse delivery if he could or destroy the item immediately if he couldn't. But the character in my story is overly cautious. That's just how I chose to write him.

As I remember.....in Hawaii years ago. Well, there was a flea market guy that was selling butterfly and switchblade knives. He got himself arrested. At court, he said that he was selling knives meant for "collecting". Not for nefarious purposes.

IIRC......the court ruled that he had not broken the law. In other words = Not Guilty.

I guess it's how you look at things and what the statute actually says. I mean that.......there was a possession. But then.....he never used it to threaten, nor harm anyone, nor was he carrying it around on his body for usage/potential usage. He was merely selling an object.

Cough, cough.....WHATEVER. Judges rule how they want to rule. IIRC that case was only at the District Court level (lowest court).

I guess someone needs to read the actual statute (check for loopholes). And, mind you that there are laws from the FEDERAL, STATE and CITY, that may apply. Also, get REAL legal advice. Which of course.......costs $$$.

Anyway......I'm not giving legal advice and I am certainly not defending you if something happens.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews