JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Well, watching the news showing the empty shelves at Eastern Seaboard stores and the interviews with shoppers and I came up with a term for them, Un-Prepper or UP's. Wonder how many of these UP's will realize tomorrow they don't have a way to cook, that their 2 gal of bottled water wasn't enough, or those crazy people they saw on TV once aren't so crazy after all.

My niece worked at a McDonald's in Thurston County area in WA last year when they lost power for like four days. She said that they were absolutely SLAMMED with people who likely didn't have any food at home or ways to cook it. I think if I were in the situation I would probably love it and embrace it as a dry run for a bigger problem. I lost power for about 5 hrs during the high winds a few weeks back and made some notes from that. IMO, if you ever have an event that knocks your power out for any more than two days and you don't have a work around figured, then I view that as negligence. I'm not saying a generator. But at least some food and a camp stove. Also, I don't expect many of these "UPs" to make any sort of adjustment after this. A few will I'm sure.

I was talking to two guys at work a little while ago about this very thing. One of them said he saw a photo of a grocery store and the shelves were completely bare.

I made the "mistake" of telling them that some people call me crazy, but that is the EXACT reason why I prep. They both looked at me like I was insane, although they didn't say a word.

And that, folks, is the EXACT reason why these two guys will never know where I live or see what is inside my vehicle.

When SHTF they will leave work, go to the grocery store, and find that food and water isn't available. They will panic, scramble to find somewhere they can pick up supplies, and then try to make it home - only to find that their normal 45 minute drive will take them 2 days by foot. What little supplies they were able to get their hands on will be depleted or gone by the time they get home. After being gone for two days they will find that when they get home there is very little left...........

I was talking to two guys at work a little while ago about this very thing. One of them said he saw a photo of a grocery store and the shelves were completely bare.

I made the "mistake" of telling them that some people call me crazy, but that is the EXACT reason why I prep. They both looked at me like I was insane, although they didn't say a word.

And that, folks, is the EXACT reason why these two guys will never know where I live or see what is inside my vehicle.

When SHTF they will leave work, go to the grocery store, and find that food and water isn't available. They will panic, scramble to find somewhere they can pick up supplies, and then try to make it home - only to find that their normal 45 minute drive will take them 2 days by foot. What little supplies they were able to get their hands on will be depleted or gone by the time they get home. After being gone for two days they will find that when they get home there is very little left...........

WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been thinking about this a bit. If I got the advance notice that the folks in the path of Sandy are getting, I think there's probably a few things I wouldn't mind stopping at the store on the way home and topping off. But, you know what? If I got there and the shelves were completely bare, I wouldn't be too upset. There's probably nothing that had previously been there that I couldn't do without.

With any luck, you've at least planted the seeds of thought for prepping in their little minds.

Personally, I wouldnt mind losing power for a few days, if only to say "told you so" to my wife who hates the wood stove with a cooktop (doesnt go with her decor).

My girlfriend is going to school in Boston right now and working part time at CVS.
She's been laughing her arse off the last few days. They ran out of flashlights and batteries first. She's been dealing with irate customers who can't understand how a store could run out of these things.
She also gets a kick out of the people buying potable water in bulk, but the only food they're buying is perishable.
How well is that gallon of ice cream going to hold up to a power outage?

My GF is prepared though. She has a few flashlights that I gave her, a few she bought herself, and plenty of water and food stored. She pretty much rocks.

Even if 70% of the people in a area like the one hitting the East coast now were preppers there would still be runs on stores and bare shelves.

Even if 70% of the people in a area like the one hitting the East coast now were preppers there would still be runs on stores and bare shelves.

Well for something like Sandy, I wouldn't do a thing just stay home and laugh me arse too.

But if I thought for sure it was a total collapse or complete shtf sitiation, I would make a run on the store first thing, that way I could the few I am low on and grill a bunch of fresh steaks, be fore I have to dig into my MRE's and beans & rice. That and make people think I am not better than they are.

...and then try to make it home - only to find that their normal 45 minute drive will take them 2 days by foot. What little supplies they were able to get their hands on will be depleted or gone by the time they get home. After being gone for two days they will find that when they get home there is very little left...........

You could say the same thing for any prepper, your stockpile of supplies won't do you much good if your place is looted or destroyed.

I hope these co-workers aren't smart enough to get your address from company records.

A couple of my co-workers know where I live, but told me they would be too scared of getting shot to come over even if they thought I was not home. I just said well mess with my peanut butter, mess with your life.

SHTF I would rather have a pound of peanut butter than a pound of Gold. But that is me.

In the general US populace only about 2-3% prep in any substantial way. The remaining hordes are left to starve or become marauders (since the Gov entitlement trough will be dry).

A couple of my co-workers know where I live, but told me they would be too scared of getting shot to come over even if they thought I was not home. I just said well mess with my peanut butter, mess with your life.

SHTF I would rather have a pound of peanut butter than a pound of Gold. But that is me.

Total SHTF, Planet of the Apes, the Walking Dead (lol) - yes, Peanut Butter.

The boiling frog syndrome where the banksters shift the wealth to themselves just a little everyday until the middle class is gone = Gold/Silver (and this is exactly what they are doing at this point)

Best to have some of both + of course lead.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/...redible-destruction-caused-by-hurricane-sandy

Well it seems to me when the unprepared get hungry enough, the ones that band together into gangs, and if some have military experience that enable them to hit a man sized target at 500 yards, will soon have your goods.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top