JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
We fill-up both cars once/week regardless of how much gas they've got in the tank. Shop for groceries, fill-up cars. We also have ten gallons of fuel stored.

More cheery news (economic collapse blog):

"There have been other reports of roaming gangs of criminals posing as officials from FEMA or Con Edison and then robbing families at gunpoint once they have gained entrance into their homes."

This kind of thing is scary. People wearing police uniforms, etc, when things get bad. You let them in, and you are dead. Damn interesting times.

I can't help but wonder how it will be in the Northwest after a major earthquake. We will have no notice, so there will be no more time to prepare (they had 3+ days out there, and many are still not sufficiently prepared).

I think the thin veneer will be gone from polite Seattle after three days...

Peter

3 days in and the news is now reporting guns pulled at gas stations and people dumpster diving for food. One lady on the news had her gas can in a bag and when asked why she said it's hard to come by and she didn't want people getting ideas.

I think for the most part the news/goverment are trying to not to tell the real bad stuff for fear it would cause mass chaos and again we are only 3 days in. No way will they report the rapes, murders, robberies, and people going through trash for food.

It's really not that big a deal.

First, WATER is your main concern. You should have 2 liters per person per day for up to about 10 days stored.

Food is a distant concern. Unless it's TEOTWAWKI, (in which all bets are off) a few pounds of rice and dried beans will do you just fine.

Also a means to COOK all of the above. A grill and a few bags of charcoal will do you fine, or a hibachi, depending on your situation.

If it's TEOTWAWKI, then all bets are off. the insane people will have stuff, those people with means and will to TAKE that stuff will win.

I don't plan on a TEOTWIAKI situation as I think it's both unlikely on the odds of a Meteor slamming into earth and killing 90% of the population (excluding me) and that I'm not altogether sure I want to live in that world. I try to plan for real world disasters, in which my power and water goes out for a week or two. I could deal with the power NP. The water, depending on the length, would be more problematic.

FWIW, I keep 40 pounds of rice in my basement along with 100 gallons of water and a lot of multi-vitamins. I also keep 1/2 cord of wood and lots of extra batteries.

Prepping for a long-term general breakdown of society or long-term complete breakdown seems foolish in the extreme to me. To REALLY prep for such an event would be a multi-$100k expense and involvement of a LOT of extra people.

I see such an event as so unlikely that I think only the nutcases are bothering over it. BTW, I hope you backwoods preppers have REAL backwoods skills. Because everyone in the NW with those skills will be coming to the mountains to take your stuff.

Drivers facing long lines, empty pumps in New York - NY Daily News

Remember this article the next time you look at your gas gauge and are below 1/2. We won't have any advance notification of a major earthquake. How would no fuel impact you?...
I live in NE PDX. Good quake probably means I'm on an island when all the bridges are out so I'm not planning on being able to drive out. Point well taken though. The new 84E bridge over the Sandy looks pretty sturdy but it is a long drive to Hood River. Wonder if 84 would remain slide free. Somehow I doubt it.

It's really not that big a deal.

First, WATER is your main concern. You should have 2 liters per person per day for up to about 10 days stored.

Food is a distant concern. Unless it's TEOTWAWKI, (in which all bets are off) a few pounds of rice and dried beans will do you just fine.

Also a means to COOK all of the above. A grill and a few bags of charcoal will do you fine, or a hibachi, depending on your situation.

If it's TEOTWAWKI, then all bets are off. the insane people will have stuff, those people with means and will to TAKE that stuff will win.

I don't plan on a TEOTWIAKI situation as I think it's both unlikely on the odds of a Meteor slamming into earth and killing 90% of the population (excluding me) and that I'm not altogether sure I want to live in that world. I try to plan for real world disasters, in which my power and water goes out for a week or two. I could deal with the power NP. The water, depending on the length, would be more problematic.

FWIW, I keep 40 pounds of rice in my basement along with 100 gallons of water and a lot of multi-vitamins. I also keep 1/2 cord of wood and lots of extra batteries.

Prepping for a long-term general breakdown of society or long-term complete breakdown seems foolish in the extreme to me. To REALLY prep for such an event would be a multi-$100k expense and involvement of a LOT of extra people.

I see such an event as so unlikely that I think only the nutcases are bothering over it. BTW, I hope you backwoods preppers have REAL backwoods skills. Because everyone in the NW with those skills will be coming to the mountains to take your stuff.

The problem in your vision is that you assume the people with the "stuff" are all insane. Are they, or aren't they? I don't know....but if YOU now need what THEY have set aside; then who was really the insane person to begin with? Who was most out of touch with reality? And, if by chance that "insane" person is more in touch with the new reality than you are...what makes you so sure that you'll be able to take that stuff from them? Do you honestly think they never considered that the unprepared gun-nuts would come for their goods?

think long and hard before you answer; because underestimating your opponent is one of the most common critical errors in strategy....

The problem in your vision is that you assume the people with the "stuff" are all insane. Are they, or aren't they? I don't know....but if YOU now need what THEY have set aside; then who was really the insane person to begin with? Who was most out of touch with reality? And, if by chance that "insane" person is more in touch with the new reality than you are...what makes you so sure that you'll be able to take that stuff from them? Do you honestly think they never considered that the unprepared gun-nuts would come for their goods?

think long and hard before you answer; because underestimating your opponent is one of the most common critical errors in strategy....

I have always thought this way. If there is a major event, like there is not law or government we, will form into two groups. Predators and prey. Both sides will be armed, and the predators trying to take what they can from the prey. We all will need to have that mind set like our ancestors had. You do what ever needs done to feed yourself and your family and if that means taking it from someone else, so be it. If you win, you eat, if not. well you feed the crows.
I for one, never want to be in that situation so I do what I can to make sure if something happens that I am as ready as I can be so I dont have to try and take from another or have another try and take from me.

Day to day life under these future circumstances will not be pleasant.

Fortunately I don't fear death under barbaric times as much as I fear getting old and slowly dying somewhere in a rest home watching The Price is Right. Better to go out standing and in exciting if probably unpleasant and uncomfortable times. When I go out I want to be out of breath and with a slight smile on my face, not mad that someone didn't bid $1 over the highest bid LOL.

Once I am dead toss my corpse in a dumpster I don't care, I'm dead.

Mr Bill once again proves he is delusional.. prepared people often are the most dangerous and cunning of warriors. I suspect his survival rating is quite low, but he's not alone

We have 120 gallons of water stored at all times here at our urban home. That does not count the hot water heater at 90 gallons. And two lakes are about 1 mile away. When we get our new home built we will have a spring 400 feet from the home as well as a well and being off grid

It can be quite pleasant in the right circumstances

Everyone probably already knows this, but it is really important to store emergency charcoal in air tight containers. The bags it comes in aren't air tight. This is no big deal if it is stored in a climate controlled environment, but you might lose that in an emergency. Damp charcoal is really hard to light, burns cooler, and is a much less efficient fuel than dry charcoal. A metal garbage can caulked shut with silicone is an acceptable way to store it long term.

I also have a portable camp stove and the butane cannisters for cooking, plus a wood stove and always an emergency supply of backup hardwoods

Prepper are dilusional wack jobs until a crisis happens and theneveryone wants to be their friend, those that willie nillie pee away their pay checks on themselves and were stingy and never think in advance all of suddent think those who planned ahead are supposed to share.

Well they can kiss off,

On another point, I was thinking about some of the extra food I have and then I read the article below. And here is what I emailed a friend about my thoughts.

<broken link removed>

""I have an extra 50 lbs of rice some boxes of macaroni noodles, some oatmeal all I have have not mylar packed, and I though well it would not hurt me to domate it and help feed them, but if they called power crews in from Alabama and they left their families to go and help these people and they are turned away, then F them.

If they want to pick and choose who they take help from then, Let them do without, ""

I'm not prepping for end of the world as we know it. I'm prepping for exactly this sort of scenario. I'm situated to be comfortable when all others are wondering where to get water or how to heat the house. After a few days if conditions don't improve then pretense will go by the way and people will start acting like, well, people.

At that point there will be two types of people. Those who approach me with the goal of returning civil society and those whose intentions are both uncivil and unsociable. I'm prepared for both.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads