JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It seems fairer, not to mention more impressive, to take down any kind of animal with human-powered weapon(s) and/or ingenuity. As opposed to waiting in a blind with a shotgun, or using a high-powered rifle with a laser-powered scope to bring down your prey from a safe (read: cowardly?) distance.

Now I am not condemning firearm hunters at all. I am 100% in favor of responsible, regulated hunting of non-predator game. Even predators can be taken responsibly in case of defense of life or property; otherwise they should be off-limits, in my humble opinion.

I don't want to get too far off track. My purpose in posting is to ask for your assistance in compiling a list of human-powered weapons, not including traps, that can be used to capture and kill game animals. My definition of "human-powered" is this: at least the majority of energy or force used must come directly from the user of the weapon.

A compound bow is human-powered. So is a spear, and so is a sling. A fishing rod also fits. Please discuss.

You might want to crack a current hunting synopsis to see what is and is NOT legal for the 'taking of game' and remember just because is is not mentioned does not mean it IS legal. Oregon Dept. of F & W is very specific in this area.

You might want to crack a current hunting synopsis to see what is and is NOT legal for the 'taking of game' and remember just because is is not mentioned does not mean it IS legal. Oregon Dept. of F & W is very specific in this area.

I do appreciate the tip. To clarify (and I see it is necessary because my original post was ambiguous), I am interested in making a list of human-powered weapons capable of taking game. Whether using the weapon is legal or not is another interesting question, but not my purpose here. I will check out the resource you mention, though, and again -- thank you.

Here's a book you might want to check out. I was given a copy of it as a Christmas present when I was about 12 years old. It's called "A Sporting Chance". It talks about all kinds of different hunting methods. Many of them illegal in Oregon, but it is an interesting read with some great stories.

Amazon.com: A SPORTING CHANCE:UNUSUAL METHODS OF HUNTING.: Daniel P. Mannix: Books

That book looks like a great read! Thank you for pointing it out to me. The boomerang and the bolo make the list. Let's add knife here, too. So far we have the following human-powered weapons on our list:

Knife
Bow
Spear
Sling
Fishing rod
Boomerang
Bolas

Not sure that you can include the modern Compound Bow as a Human Powered hunting device.. Way too much of a difference between draw weight and actual multiplication of force on the release.. Now a traditional recurve may fit in that category more closely.

The only one on there I question is the crossbow, that is a little too much like a gun imo to be counted as human powered, sure you draw it back, but really you point, pull a trigger, and can have it sighted in with optics, that make it pretty accurate and deadly, almost being like a gun, but with a more limited range.

Why do you think predators should be off limits unless they are posing a threat to you?Dont all predators pose a threat to life or property in some way ? Thats why there called predators

whitman i am curious are you a hunter or just want to hunt . why do you say shooting an animal from a distance is cowardly. i also dont know of people hunting with a laser powered scope . what i think is you are a portland boy that has played to many video games and watched survivor to many many times . you thinking that hunting by those means is responsible is just plain stupid . if you want to go out trying to kill game with ninja stars or something then i wish you all the luck hope you dont get caught . i do know that any responsible hunter will turn your dumb *** in

I believe that predators serve a useful purpose in the scheme of things. By hunting them just to be hunting them upsets that balance. I used to hunt but now choose not to as my outlook on wildlife has changed over the years. Having said that, I support those who subsistence hunt because that is a basic right and hunting license fees help to improve wildlife habitat.

The animals dont have spears, slings, or rods.... just like they dont have "high powered rifles"

unless you're using your bare hands, you're a coward..... and a hypocrite.

are you fu**ing kidding me what kind of dumb *** liberal idiot comment is that what a fool . so since animals dont have weapons you shouldnt be able to kill them . how in the **** do you stay alive do you just eat veggies or something . but oh wait you would have to kill the plant to eat it . you must just drink water . what a dip bubblegum. waste of air

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top