JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Everyone,

I was looking for a carbon steel, blued, hunting knife with a 6-8" blade; something traditional
to go wit my muzzle loaders. I also need to be able to resharpen it in the field. I'd also like
to find a similar hatchet/tomahawk .

I looked in a box store and found only plastic grip knives with flip out blades or 10"+
monstrosities that look like movie props.

I have a SOG Bowie knife with a stainless steel blade. The thing is so well made that I
can balance it on one finger but the blade is so hard that I can't sharpen it in the field.

Blessings,
LongBeard

Are you looking for just a blade blank , so you can make a knife...?
Or a complete ready to use knife...?

The GunWorks in Springfield OR...
Dixie's GunWorks...
Track of the Wolf...
October Country...
All have excellent knives and tomahawks ....
Andy

I can second the idea of a Kabar...at times one can find them with the leather washers rotted away ...is is easy to fit a wood , bone or antler handle to the tang and presto you have unique knife....
Andy

Are you looking for just a blade blank , so you can make a knife...?
Or a complete ready to use knife...?

The GunWorks in Springfield OR...
Dixie's GunWorks...
Track of the Wolf...
October Country...
All have excellent knives and tomahawks ....
Andy
I'll look at all of those.
Thank You,

LongBeard

My son makes beautiful custom knives for very reasonable prices. Most of the time the cost is less than a modern plastic handled blade of lessor quality.

If interested I'll connect you, it can't hurt to get a quote. His turn time is pretty short as well.

Last Edited:
My son makes beautiful custom knives for very reasonable prices. Most of the time the cost is less than a modern plastic handled blade of lessor quality.

If interested I'll connect you, it can't hurt to get a quote. His turn time is pretty short as well.
Sure! I don't know how to PM in this group.

Blessings,
LongBeard

I have your PM, I'll answer there and here to make sure you see the response.

He does both leather and kydex sheathes. He only does knives as his homemade forge is not really big enough for hatchets / axes. He usually does exotic wood handles but some folks who just want a quality utility knife opt for plain woods such as Honduran Mahogany, oak etc.

He has a number of blanks in the shop, but what he has I don't know. He can order whatever you want metal wise and he has some photos posted on the net of his work so you can get an idea of what he does. Most of his work has been in the softer carbon steels such as you want because while beautiful works of art he really like to make knives that will actually be used by folks, so the ability to touch up an edge in the field is paramount, as you well know.

He is just finishing up a summer quarter calculus course (the knives help pay for school) so will have a big block of time so the work time should be short. If this all sounds good, PM me an email address and I'll have him reach out to you.

Thanks

I have a Russel "Green River" knife....its the largest one in the picture.
All three knives date from the 1880's to the early 1900's.
Andy
DSC05780.jpg

Condor knife and tool make carbon steel knives and tomahawks.

I have a Russel "Green River" knife....its the largest one in the picture.
All three knives date from the 1880's to the early 1900's.
Andy
View attachment 610999
Andy I like the style of that sticker at the top. The grip looks to be elk,? How is it affixed to the tang? Is the butt of the grip "open" or is it filled with an inlay of some sort? Knives without guards gimme the willies (experience early in life) but that knife is a real keeper...
Thanks once again for sharing!

Andy I like the style of that sticker at the top. The grip looks to be elk,? How is it affixed to the tang? Is the butt of the grip "open" or is it filled with an inlay of some sort? Knives without guards gimme the willies (experience early in life) but that knife is a real keeper...
Thanks once again for sharing!
Yo are very welcome...and thank you for the kind words.
It is elk antler...and it is both pinned and epoxyed to the tang....The butt of the grip is "open'...I will someday in the future add some silver to it.

Yeah ya gotta be careful if your knife has no guard and is sharp...Ouch !
I keep a tiny bit of the blade flat , just past the handle , to keep the Aw Damn moments down....LOL
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads