JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone hunt with their AR? I've seen a lot of pictures of "Safe Queens" and read a lot about this and that "High Priced G.I Joe" add-ons, but does anyone really use their AR for anything more than "Pictures and Paper Punching"? I bought mine because of the flexability of the platform. Currently I can go from .22 plinking to .223 paper and ground squirrel punching, then on to 7.62x39 for deer. Maybe some day something even larger for elk....All with one rifle...At least these are my plans.:s0155:

they are good for varmit hunting and like sage rats and coyotes personally i would not deer hunt with one unless you excellent at shot placement and you hunt somewhere that you see deer all over the place so you won't jump to take **** mary shot that will just wound it and it dies later and becomes coyote food
if you want to hunt deer then jump up to a .308 ar10 type rifle or even a 6.8 spc always best to use the right tool for the job a lot of old timers might look at you funny with the GI Joe rifle but if muskets would have been designed with pistol grips then modern hunting rifles would would all be ar15 type rifles

I have killed several deer with .223 (one with AR - most with my Savage .223 over 20 ga). Shot placement is CRITICAL (but that applies to all shooting). Most of my AR hunting is varmints (gray diggers/sage rats). The flat top in this picture is death on Sage Rats....

I should note with the Savage - it is a single shot and it forces you to really shoot, and 75% of the deer I have taken have been less than 75 yards.

I have a Ruger VT .223 and took a pronghorn with it at 240 yards, but the gun was absolutely dialed in and the shot was from a bipod.....

Here in the state of Washington, .243 is the smallest caliber you can use for "big game" animals. Thats Deer, Elk, Mt. Goat, Mt Sheep and Bear. .223 can be used for Cougar. As I mentioned in another post... there is no magazine capacity limit in this state either. That may change for the upcomming year, but as of now, there is not.

Thanks for the input guys.:s0155: My main reason for starting this thread was...No one was saying anything about actually hunting with their rifles :( Like I said, flexability of the platform is what I love about the AR. In addition to the .223, I also have a 7.62 x 39 upper (my Russian 30-30) that I intend to use for deer.:cool: It's too bad WA. limits the .223 to non-game animals. Like someone mentioned, shot placement is the key to a successful hunt. The largest wild boar killed by a member of our rod and gun club in Germany was 350lbs + and that was with a .243.

I'm set up for hunting with my .223 AR, but haven't used it yet - mostly for target shooting.

I'm planning on getting a 6.8mm upper, and will hunt with that...

It's too bad WA. limits the .223 to non-game animals.

Taken from page 67 of the Washington Fish and Game Regs:

Modern Firearm Regulations
Rifles: Big game, except cougar, must be
hunted with a minimum of 24 caliber (6mm)
centerfire rifle. Cougar may be hunted with
22 caliber centerfire rifle. Rimfire rifles are
not legal for big game.

.22(CENTERFIRE) Can be used to hunt Cougar. Thats a game animal. It can also be used for Coyote. (another game animal):s0155:
Which means... .223, .22 swift, .22-250 etc etc. are legal to use for Cougar. Coyote can be dispatched with ANY caliber that is NOT an air rifle.

Sorry Jaybo,

I guess that's where the state and I differ.;) They think "Game" is something you play.:p I was taught that "Game" was something you ate. I think putting a "Season" on some animals is often no more than a political football with them. Shooting a cougar out of a tree with a .223 is one thing, but might be a little light for stalking one through the brush.:( .....:D GEE and all I wanted to know was, who goes hunting with their AR. :s0155:

LOL!!

I have ordered my parts for my first AR build and I look foward to them arriving!!
I will use mine for coyote, paper and "protection from zombies" (on a rare chance that ever happens) but thats it. I have other options I prefer for "game" hunting... er.. uh.. rather.. "freezer fillin'"! :gun18: :D

I got in a lengthy discussion with one of the Law Enforcement agents, over magazine capacity... and basically I just wanted to know the limits and who in thier right mind would make it legal to shoot at deer with a 30 round magazine in a 30-06???!! Yes I said shoot at... because at that point... thats all your doing... your so far from hunting, you shouldnt be in the woods. Anyways, he didnt know... didnt condone it, nor approved of it, but by law, couldnt do anything to stop someone from doing it?! My opinion....If you cant do it with 3 go home get your fishing pole and try your luck onthe lake!?!:cool:

Personally I dont see any reason why not to use an AR for hunting (assuming a large enough caliber upper is used).. because I believe your right. A .223 is to small for cougar...shot placement or not. A "true hunter" puts an animal down quickly, and with as little suffering as possible. I was merely pointing out, by definition of "game" could hunt with one.

When I decided to add a 7.62x39 upper for hunting I was looking for something reasonably cheap (for plinking) to shoot in .30 cal., staying with the AR15 platform. :)My "Brush Cannon" ;) is a Marlin .35 Rem. but, its up for grabs if I found me another AR15 upper in 6.8, or larger.:s0155: I guess lever guns just aren't me.:cool:

PS. I may have to send to Kaulifonia for a 5 round magazine....But the 20's make a good rest,no matter how many rounds are in them.

Yes, I hunt with my 12.5" Suppressed SBR. No joy this year though, could not find a Buck to save my life. So really, I guess I just carried my SBR around in the Rain for 10 days. Got some screws starting to rust to prove it. :(

I have shot Deer with .223 before, and it does kill if you do your part. In Oregon you can hunt Big Game with Suppressors also. :s0155:

Also ran into an Older Hunter in the Woods this year. I was kind of hiding my gun behind me while talking to him. He got curious and asked about it. I showed it to him, thinking he would probably get all anti Black Rifle about it. But he thought it was a pretty cool set up to hunt with. :D

It is interesting that the same people that give you the "Fish Eye" for hunting with an AR, or SBR wouldn't raise an eyebrow if you said you hunted with a pistol.:p If your weapon (sorry nasty word) make that "RIFLE", is legal, has the energy and you have the proficiency. What difference does it make what color it is, whether it has a pistol grip, or what the magazine capacity is.:s0155: What's the difference between 5 in the mag. and 10 in your pocket? You'll seldom get more than 2 shots anyway and you may get lost, or break a leg and need some method of signaling.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top