JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nah.. Go for the magnum for both for sure... Hehe

I wouldn't hunt anything, including squirrels and rabbits with anything less than a 460 Weatherby Magnum. Why mess around? :s0112: :s0112:

Actually, for rabbits I might settle for an auto-loading rifle because they are fast. How about a .338 Win. Mag. BAR Mk. II Safari? :s0112: :s0112:

I wouldn't hunt anything, including squirrels and rabbits with anything less than a 460 Weatherby Magnum. Why mess around? :s0112: :s0112:

Actually, for rabbits I might settle for an auto-loading rifle because they are fast. How about a .338 Win. Mag. BAR Mk. II Safari? :s0112: :s0112:

oh now, a 460 is childs play. now a 577 t-rex or a 700 nitro express, now thats a mans rabbit gun for sure!

actually thinking of getting both, on for squirrel and one for rabbit. i just dont know if the 577 will be big enough to back up my rabbit gun.

I stood right beside a good friend and watched him drop a running coyote at 400 yards with his sporterized '06. We measured it with a Nikon rangefinder. He's the best shot I've ever known, in real-life hunting. He still admitted that it took a little luck guessing height and lead.

Nice shot.

Bet if I started a thread asking advice about my intentions to get a new girlfriend, and the quandary between C cup and D cup, on this forum, it would eventually gravitate to an arugument between the .270 and the .30-06.

Of course it will!
And I'd be happy with either one! (you guess if I'm talking rifles or cup sizes):s0114:

I stood right beside a good friend and watched him drop a running coyote at 400 yards with his sporterized '06. We measured it with a Nikon rangefinder. He's the best shot I've ever known, in real-life hunting. He still admitted that it took a little luck guessing height and lead.

Nice shot.

was it running on a treadmill?
lol j/k.
pretty darned impressive

Some apparently would deem your try as an epic fail. It succeeded with me. A central technique of comedy or fiction is the "suspension of disbelief" (a workup based on believable things), coupled with an account that is extreme fantasy. You created a scenario that for some of us (who know and fully respect the capabilities of the .300 Savage cartridge on elk), was entirely too plausible. While I knew your scenario was probably fiction and chuckled, it was more believable to me than the constant reports I hear every season about "I regularly drop elk at 600 yards with my .367 Remchester Retinadetacho Cosmicmag."

If you laugh at those guys, they become very sensitive. However, if a guy showed up in my elk camp packing a .300 Savage that he'd hunted with for years and mentioned that on one occasion he made precisely the shot you described, I would caution anyone who was quick to laugh.

One of the nice things about E. Oregon (and Wash.) is that you can find very large areas covered with bunch grass rather than sage. It's also often uneven enough that you can "sneak up." You can actually see where deer and elk have worn trails in the sides of the slopes, even from some distance back.

Here's an example of one such hillside. I found the pic, but I suspect it's at the head of Wallowa Lake, Looking NE at the bunch grass covered moraine. The second pic is of a bunch grass area. We find diggers and rock chucks and coyotes in those areas too.

bkkk.jpg

bkkk4.jpg

I have hunted and shot 358STA's and 338 Win Mags those are now history - I now hunt with a 9.3X62 and a 338-06 for elk when I get to go. I do not see the need for a magnum in the lower 48 for anything I hunt. I Once asked a friend of mine - a retired gun smith - what cartridge have you taken more elk
with - his reply to me is that he has killed more elk with a 30-06 than all other cartridges combined. This friend had hunted everything up to Polar Bears and even for that one trip he used a 300 Win mag and it was a clean one shot kill. I have another old aquaintance that lived out in Mist - I loaded her up some hornady 180 round nose bullets - at 40 yards she put that bullet end to end through that spike, it seemed like an awful big spike while were trying to get it to the truck. As I get older I want simple and trust worthy - I am not sure that all these big magnums have the beneifts that everyone thinks they have. I have a customized 03 springfield and I do not see that rifle leaving my hands any time soon. I have a relationship with it.

Respectfully
James Ruby

I'm with you on cartridges for the NW JGR. The .338-06 will be my next acquisition.
I have always been curious about the 9.3x62. The downrange energy numbers are impressive.
Do you have any problem finding ammo for it? Or do you "roll-your-own?"

Check out the browning a-bolt series with boss . I have one in 30-06 and 308 win with boss awesome shooter. I shoot one ragged hole at 300 yards no problem. Adjustable trigger, free floated barrel tang safety and with the boss system (great for magnum guns) recoil is way down plus the boss is adjustable for different loads and they give you the sweet spot settings for different weight bullets . I bought a stainless stalker used off auction arms for $535. After shooting it I quickly sold my remington 700 to buy another. Plus they went to the x bolt series so the a-bolts have come down in price dramatically

I'm with you on cartridges for the NW JGR. The .338-06 will be my next acquisition.
I have always been curious about the 9.3x62. The downrange energy numbers are impressive.
Do you have any problem finding ammo for it? Or do you "roll-your-own?"

Yes I load my own for both of these - I do not remember the loads right now but it seemed I was getting just under 2500 with 270 GR speer in the 9.3 and about 2750 with a 225 in the 338-06. I like both of the guns alot - but given only one hunting rifle I would grab my 30-06 for everything - old, boring and trust worthy. If I wanted to become a really good shot I would get rid of three quarters of my rifles and learn to shoot what was left. I like a little variety and get a lot of enjoyment from the task of reloading.

James Ruby

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR