JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bet if I started a thread asking advice about my intentions to get a new girlfriend, and the quandary between C cup and D cup, on this forum, it would eventually gravitate to an arugument between the .270 and the .30-06.

ill take a d-cup please!

Here ya go - a Mickey D cup.

Rumor has it that you prefer the plastic ones. :s0112: :s0112: :s0112:

McD_Coffee_Cup.jpg

To me the 06 and the 270 are equally suited for deer and Elk. The WSM's have their place and perform quite well. Whatever you pick practice with and become proficient with it. It will mean more to be able to place your shot in the vitals every time than any amount of extra energy or less drop that a particular cartridge will afford you. By all means if you can shoot it accurately go for a magnum if it floats your boat. I have owned everything from a .243 to a 375 H&H. What I found was when I was younger recoil did not affect me all that much and I could shoot the big guns quite accurately. I had a 338 RUM that was lights out accurate and I shot it well with no muzzle break. As I get older I find that I don't tolerate hard recoiling rifles as well and it was starting to affect my accuracy. I do not like muzzle breaks for several reasons and refuse to own a hunting rifle with one but that is another subject all together. So when I hunt deer and elk I Pick up either my 270 or my 300 WSM although lately I have been playing with an AR in 6.8 spc that I plan to kill a deer with. My 300 WSM feeds flawlessly and is quite accurate. They both kill Elk and Deer without Drama, and I have not lost a critter with either. So unless Brown Bear is the Quarry, I see little need for anything with more punch, but that is just my take ymmv. On a closing note I think my last hunting rifle is going to be a Kimber Montana in 280 AI. I will handload 160 gr. bullets to 2950 fps and hunt everything from antelope to moose with it and use my other rifles for backup. Osprey

This is a bit slanted towards the 308 if you ask me, at least when comparing it to the 06. Why test a lighter bullet in the 06 than the .308? That's kinda silly. The 308 (7.62 NATO) is nearly the equal to the 06 with similar weight bullets until you hit the 180gr threshold. This might be a bit more reasonable of a comparison if the chart showed the 06 with a 168 or even better a 180.

Just for fun and to keep it very quick and easy (for me) I took a peek at the Hornady ballistics chart. This shows only the Hornady loaded ammo.
The best energy for each cartridge at 500 yards;

270 Win with 140gr 3090 fps MV and 1487 lbs at 500 yards 200 yd zero 35.4 inch drop @ 500 yards
30-06 with 180 gr 2820 fps MV and 1509 lbs at 500 yards 200 yd zero 44.1 inch drop @ 500 yards

The ten inches less drop at 500 yards could be touted as an advantage, but lets get real... at 400 yards its a 4 inch difference.
Look at the 270 and 30-06 for what they are, nearly equal cartridges that will do the job.

Go pick up any reloading manual and see what the fastest published load is for 150 grain bullets in the 270 Win, 308 Win, and 30-06.

Nosler 6th edition
270 Win 150 Grain 2913 FPS
308 Win 150 Grain 3001 FPS
30-06 150 Grain 3056 FPS

Speer #14 manual
270 Win 150 Grain 2907 FPS
308 Win 150 Grain 2850 FPS
30-06 150 Grain 2985 FPS

Down range the 270 is flatter, but the 30-06 is always faster in the 150 grain bullet class.

i see it very irresponsible shooting an elk with a .22 though btw

How do you figure I spent over an hour stalking and sneaking up within 30 feet ... she dropped in her tracks ...
Hell peter hathaway capstick downed a full grown elephant with a 22lr. if youre confident in your shot placement and ability to track a wounded animal why would it be in anyway iresponsible. As I said ... it didnt even take one step

They say he's gone postal
Life member of
Oregon Hunters Association
National Rifle Association
universalshootingsports
bersachat
northwestfirearms
hipointtalk
facebook

How do you figure I spent over an hour stalking and sneaking up within 30 feet ... she dropped in her tracks ...
Hell peter hathaway capstick downed a full grown elephant with a 22lr. if youre confident in your shot placement and ability to track a wounded animal why would it be in anyway iresponsible. As I said ... it didnt even take one step

Life member of
universalshootingsports
bersachat
northwestfirearms
hipointtalk
facebook

sooooo, you managed to get 3 shots from a 22lr at 30 feet through an elks ear without it taking a step ehh?

the 3006 with proper bullet placement will take any animal on the continent and the men before me are right about the 3006its faster and more powerful than the 308 and if you reload its just about as accurate as well .the 308 is lacking when you start loading 180 to 220 gr bullets

seems a little fishy to me that this guy "needed meat for his freezer" but when he asked you to get him an elk "because he needed it for the family" you grabbed a .22lr knowing you are risking your only chance of bagging an elk because of the fact that you need to get up close and personal.

and yes i feel it very irresponsible to use a 22lr for elk, in most cases you are gonna end up wounding the animal and never find it. it will spend the rest of its days suffering.

the 3006 with proper bullet placement will take any animal on the continent and the men before me are right about the 3006its faster and more powerful than the 308 and if you reload its just about as accurate as well .the 308 is lacking when you start loading 180 to 220 gr bullets

yeah i am thinking the 30-06/300 seems like the way to go (for me)

ill mostly be putting 165gr nosler partitions through the 06 though, but i will be working up a load for 180's in it too. 180gr noslers is what i am gonna use for the 300.
those should be about all i will need and i can load either one of them in either gun.

I was 12 and had a pretty good hike to get down into the elk.
the 22 was what I was used to shooting ... and yes it fell right there in front of me...

Life member of
universalshootingsports
bersachat
northwestfirearms
hipointtalk
facebook

I was 12 and had a pretty good hike to get down into the elk.
the 22 was what I was used to shooting ... and yes it fell right there in front of me...

Life member of
universalshootingsports
bersachat
northwestfirearms
hipointtalk
facebook

ok cool, well because of the fact that i have 3 22's i guess i need look no further. 1 for deer 1 for elk and 1 for elephants and either one is a backup either way.
i mean come on, everyone is used to shooting a 22lr more than anything else. does that mean that it would be there go to gun when meat "needs" to be taken? no.

ps. i will use my 22mag for my elephant gun of choice though, i feel the extra oomph will get it through its thicker ears.

My point was to not go for the biggest caliber you can find.. When a guy can do well with a mid caliber and save a bundle on ammo cost.
I dont condone shooting big game with a 22lr ... but it most certainly possible if necessary.
I have never done that again nor would do I plan to

Life member of
universalshootingsports
bersachat
northwestfirearms
hipointtalk
facebook

My point was to not go for the biggest caliber you can find.. When a guy can do well with a mid caliber and save a bundle on ammo cost.
I dont condone shooting big game with a 22lr ... but it most certainly possible if necessary.
I have never done that again nor would do I plan to

So I shouldn't recommend a 22LR for deer and a 22Magnum for elk? :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews