JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Something else to consider for a "Brush Gun"....

Is just how does the rifle carry , handle and maneuver through the brush...?

A lever action carbine , with a 20 inch barrel may be more handy , in thick brush or timber...
Than a heavy bolt action rifle with a 24 inch barrel and a scope.

Not that you can't use a bolt action rifle with a scope and a 24 inch barrel in brush or timber...
But...
How a rifle balances and feels to you..will play an important part here.

Shooting style can also make or break a brush gun ....
Instinctive shooting or point shooting much like when shooting with a shotgun for upland birds....
Is a useful skill for the brush and timber hunter to learn and practice.
Andy

My favorite brush gun it this time is a encore rifle in .44 mag with an 18" barrel and an Aimpoint sight, from 0-150 yrds it's a hammer. K7gaUTQ.jpg .

Depending on cover and terrain I use a Ruger .44 Mannlicher carbine with a shotgun scope, a Remington Mohawk 600 in .308, or Remington 600 in .350 mag.

Last Edited:
WTF he lost me at not being able to clearly seeing his target.

A "brush gun" simply is any gun with a faster target acquisition and nothing more because your usually flushing fast moving game at close distances. But NOBODY shoots a brush shot. Worrying about brush deflection means you need a better id of the target and should probably revisit the 4 rules....

A little more scientific:

And then some of us just like big bullets when hunting where ranges are close and there is little concern for trajectory. Sometimes the ranges can just as easily be measured in feet. You may need to be quick...

It's not about shooting through the brush but rather having a short, handy, lightweight weapon that will anchor prey so one doesn't have to crawl through that crap looking for bleeding out animal, but you know that.

That's not what the video was setting out to prove. It was more along the lines of "how big does it have to be to shoot through brush and still hit a target".

I think thats crazy. From a comment he made about "killing Bambi", I wonder if he understands what he's talking about.

That's not what the video was setting out to prove. It was more along the lines of "how big does it have to be to shoot through brush and still hit a target".

I think thats crazy. From a comment he made about "killing Bambi", I wonder if he understands what he's talking about.

I didn't watch the video, just speaking on my own thoughts and if that is the video is going for I'm glad of not wasting my time.

This is the last deer I took:

Deer hunt small.jpg

26" octagonal barrel .30-30 - not a brush rifle, but I shot the buck at something like 20 feet - sitting very still on a stump while it walked by me pursuing a doe. I could have thrown a rock at it. Most of the deer on the west side of the Cascades are shot at very close range. Only once have I shot a deer that I really needed a rifle instead of a handgun (although I have never actually used a handgun for deer).

A large caliber handgun like a .44 or a .45 would do just fine as a brush gun and be more handy than any rifle at the distances I see most deer at.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top