JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today, I raced up into the to hunt my favorite location. Good grassy clearings. Lots of signs of deer year around. Its going to be a good day so I thought.

I realize upon entering into this meadow that there was 2 salt lick rocks and a game camera setup at the front edge of this meadow. Logically I start thinking about whats going on here. I realized that there is only 1 other set of hunters up here and realize its a couple of older men out hunting. The issue though is they parked their camper in the middle of old logging road and bark at anyone asking or wanting to get by. Almost trying to limit traffic into different parts of the wilderness for their hunting pleasures.

The ethical part of me says to report them as why are clearly doing something illegal. My first thought was to take the stuff back to the truck and give it back to them with a note. The other part of me understands they are old and probably have troubles actively searching out wild game. But then these 2 old guys pop out of know where as we search around a little more to see what else they may have there and tell me to leave his spot that he has been baiting them into for a month.

At this point to avoid a confrontation with unknown people that had guns. I left the meadow and hunted my back up locations. Then on they way out I reported them to the nearest Campground Host who know exactly where they were camped and got Game and Wild Life on the horn to go get them.

While I feel bad for these guys getting caught only because of their age. I can't condone their actions. They were clearly breaking the law.

Based on many things including their attitude you are 100% correct. If it is public land as it sounds you have as much right to be there as they do.

There are some times when "baiting" while illegal I do not find it un-ethicial. The big one for me is animals that are causing damaged being "kept" in an area for legal hunters that will sportingly take the game and actually use it. Often these animals are just put down and left (SSS).

Baiting deer is not Illegal in Wa. Being a d-bag should be. Blocking a road and preventing others from passing on public land is illegal. Turning them in is questionable in my opinion. I'm more the take care of the problem myself or forget type. To each their own. I suppose you are making it better for the next person by turning them in. Taking a dump in their camp might have sent a message. Just kidding. Not really.

Certain things like bait have a place in hunting... in the off season, especially stuff like salt licks, feeders in the like, where it can help you grow game on your land larger, and ensure survival of the fawns so you can hunt them later.

Putting out a salt lick, and waiting for something to show up so you can shoot it is a lot of BS. Even if they are old, they can apply for a disabled hunting permit just like everyone else (that's where they can hunt from vehicles). While it doesn't look like it was illegal (to bait), it is illegal to block roads, and being hostile to other people in their area might actually qualify as being criminal in wa.

RCW 9.41.270
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

Them "chasing you off" would probably qualify under this.

Personally, I would have walked over, pissed on the salt licks and taken my business elsewhere.

The baiting issue is an interesting one. In Canada they bait the black bears to hunt them with bow and rifle. Hard to find them otherwise since they are nocturnal hunters for the most part. In the midwest the farmers create plots of clover and other feed right next to areas where they can place tree stands, they then sit for hours, days and wait for deer to come within bow/rifle range. In the South they bait with lots of goodies and arrange plots of yummy stuff to bring in the deer. Cameras are used in most of the privately owned and leased hunting areas to determine where the deer roam and even which deer you can harvest on their property.

Deer aren't stupid, they can see about 300 degrees, I have read. Smart as heck and sure seem to be a lot smarter than me. Hunter success rates in Oregon are very low, so it ain't just me. Maybe 5% during bow season. Even if you bait them that's no guarantee. The wind is a factor and your smell around the bait keeps them away too.

I have never baited deer but don't oppose it either. But someone blocking the road to a public hunting area is a illegal and greedy thing to do. Better to just approach folks and give them a heads up as to what is happening and ask them nice to continue on down the road a ways.

I am for baiting for bear and hunting bear/cougar with dogs. Its the only way you can hunt them. Otherwise your hunt tag money is just handing cash to the Dept of Wildlife to bump up pensions. You control populations with hunting tags issued to hunters not by using professional hunters to cull the bears and cougars. Oregon now has over 25K black bears and 6K+ Cougars. They feed on Deer and Elk and make it more difficult for hunters to have success. Add wolves to this equation and you have a situation where its not much fun to hunt anymore unless you just like to camp and walk in the woods. But the wave of revenue continues to the state. Interesting the direction this is headed. Oops............sorry for the rant!

Sorry I was out of town. So this news is a week old. Was in Wyoming Elk hunting.

Update:
I got a call from the Forest Service. Seems these guys were investigating into the matter.
I was talking with some friends that hunt the same areas today and they said that people often are caught poaching if they have gone to the effort to put out several salt licks like these guys have.

IDK. I figure its in the hands of the government to decided whats right... boy does that suck cause we know where their ethics always end up

Baiting is legal someplaces, and not other places...I do not consider a salt lick "baiting"...cracked corn...now, that is baiting, or where I live, water.

However, these old gent's obvious obstruction of a public roadway...that would be a problem in my book.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top