JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The city does not care. Their main purpose was to drive the gun stores out of business. Their form of ethnic cleansing. Saying it was about collecting tax dollars for gun safety programs is a smoke screen.

I support Seattle gun stores and recently bought a safe from Outdoor Emporium. I offered my Oregon ID but was surprised to find out that gun safes are tax exempt in Washington. Social policy meets tax policy.

It's a sin tax just like on alcohol and cigarettes, taxed to the point that many can't afford them!!!! EFFERS, Seattle will never get a dime from me for that wicked extortion!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

I just heard the other night on the Jason Rantz show, KIRO radio, that the city expected a couple of a million dollars in wind fall taxes from this and as of last week have not received a single dime. "BRILLIANT"

I support Seattle gun stores and recently bought a safe from Outdoor Emporium. I offered my Oregon ID but was surprised to find out that gun safes are tax exempt in Washington. Social policy meets tax policy.
I was surprised to see a NO TAX sign on the safes at Bi Mart here in Vanc.

The King County Tax Axe.
You could say, they slit their own throats.
Some should not play with sharp decisions.

They'll find another way to bleed you (us)

Yeah I bought a safe from Cabelas a couple months ago and no tax was collected then,too. Pretty cool that the gun safes are tax exempt, I think. I remember a few years ago when outdoor emporium partnered with children's hospital to give away free pistol safes to people with guns and kids in the home. I thought that was cool as well. I would love to support Seattle gun stores but they are getting harder to find! They should rename the tax and call it the "Big 5 shopper punishment plan" as it seems that Big 5 is going to be the sole source of revenue for this stupid scheme.

The tax was sooo important because it would fund research and intervention programs to reduce gun violence. I'm guessing when they have a tax shortfall to fund the program, they will just use the little they get and put it in the general fund or use it to fight lawsuits against the tax. We all know they won't use other revenue to support this "must have" legislation.

Bottom line, the tax was always to push gun stores out of Seattle, they know it, but you will only get them to admit it off-the-record.

It's a very slippery slope when you start using tax policy in order to gain support for a political view.

Oh right.....it's been that way for a longgggg time.

@$#& Seattle.

Aloha, Mark

I just heard the other night on the Jason Rantz show, KIRO radio, that the city expected a couple of a million dollars in wind fall taxes from this and as of last week have not received a single dime. "BRILLIANT"
Not sure where that figure comes from; When they pushed it, my recollection was a projection of 1/2 million; Gun owners knew even that was total b.s.; The city claimed vendor tax-privacy rules to shield the actual amount taken as confidential. As commented above, it was always about forcing FFLs out of Seattle, it's worked.

Go Dave, go!!! :cool:

<broken link removed>

SEATTLE -- A judge has ruled in favor of a gun magazine editor and gun-rights group who want revenue information on Seattle's gun and ammunition tax.

Dave Workman, senior editor of the GunMag.com filed a public record requests to get the revenue information. The City Council approved the taxes in 2015.

The city refused.

So the Second Amendment Foundation and Workman sued. The foundation owns the magazine.

"This has just been a fiasco, I think, from Day 1," Workman said. "There's a theory out that this wasn't a tax to raise for gun violence to begin with. It was a gun control measure disguised as a tax measure."

Alan M. Gottleib, executive vice president of the foundation and publisher of the magazine, expressed delight at the judge's ruling, which came Friday.

"It was silly for Seattle to withhold this information, but we're pretty certain why the city did it. The council was told that this tax could generate between $300,000 and a half-million dollars, but now it appears the city has collected just over $100,000, which is an embarrassing shortfall," he said in a news release.

Mike Coombs, who owns the Outdoor Emporium, says his sales of guns and ammo have been down about 25 percent since the tax started.

"We believe in gun safety and we believe that this tax is unfair," he said. "We know that I've given over $86,000 to the city, and I think I'm the majority of the money that's been paid in and the public has a right to know."

Coombs thinks when the city releases the numbers, it will show, as Gottleib said, that the revenue is far from what the city predicted.

"I think the city is going to be way way off in their numbers, and we will find out in the next two weeks."

The Mayor's Office and City Council did not respond to a request for comment.

Unfortunately it won't matter. The powers that be want what they want. The big lie is it's for the greater good or....the children!

Congrats to Mr Gottleib for trying to keep them honest. But no real politician ever worries about getting egg on their face. They'll just blame bad information.

Unfortunately it won't matter. The powers that be want what they want. The big lie is it's for the greater good or....the children!

Congrats to Mr Gottleib for trying to keep them honest. But no real politician ever worries about getting egg on their face. They'll just blame bad information.

That doesn't have to be true, in my state the AZCDL (arizona citizens defense league), a private lobby group has made huge inroads into gun rights
Gun owners ensured president Trump's election, you can ask the NRA if you don't believe me. I'm sure they wouldn't mind answering your questions
link www.azcdl.org/html/about_us.html

You already took the first couple of steps & you aren't the only person on here who is tired of the bs--Plenty of people will give to this cause, but somebody needs to start it

Unfortunately it makes no difference. Inslee and the rest of the moron's don't give a rats-a_s. It was to force businesses that sell firearms and ammunition out of the city by taxation. It worked. Congrats jack-wagons!! (directed to the moron's (elected officials) in Olympia/Seattle)

They go home every night telling themselves that they've done good. Regardless of what it cost the city of Seattle - and the state of Washington for that matter.

They still win and they don't care. As mentioned previously, it will be twisted and reported entirely differently than what it truly is. It always is in WA.

It's a very slippery slope when you start using tax policy in order to gain support for a political view.

Oh right.....it's been that way for a longgggg time.

@$#& Seattle.

Aloha, Mark

Anyone ever wonder why class 3 items require a $200 tax stamp? Because back when the NFA was enacted, $200 was a prohibitive sum, designed to only allow those who were well-off to buy class 3 items. The law just never had a provision to keep pace with inflation.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top