JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A Heisenberg hat will keep them uncertain, at least in principle. lol

breaking-bad-hat.jpg

I agree with all the above...Not so sure about the Heisenberg hat though. LOL

I really need to talk on the phone to a buyer/seller before hand. In my few dealings on NWF I've met all good people, and learned a lot too.

Mike

I agree with all the above...Not so sure about the Heisenberg hat though. LOL

I really need to talk on the phone to a buyer/seller before hand. In my few dealings on NWF I've met all good people, and learned a lot too.

Mike

I actually became a member of NWFA as a result of a FTF sale off Armslist. We did the deal and the guy asked me if I was a NWFA member so he could give me some positive feedback. I wasn't, so he suggested I get on the site and check it out. I've been a member ever since. From that point on, if I do a deal with someone other than NWFA, I do the same thing and point them here if they're not already a member.

I've (so far), only met great folks from NWFA, and I make sure to give positive feedback after a sale/trade.

Thanks all for your input. Reading your collective suggestions it's all pretty much common sense (which I am pretty much blind to, according to my wife).

I'm getting some interest in my ads, and considering some offers.

Descending further into my densitude, I have a question about the bill of sale - do you just use the standard Bill of Sale form from Staples?

Also what information about the buyer should I record? Name, obviously, but do you also get DL number and address? Naturally I record the firearm info.

There was a BOS form floating around the board somewhere. I'd purchased a gun from a member and he'd used it. It was specific to fire arm buy/sell I believe.

Some buyers will be put off if they have to give up a DL number and personal info. That's NOT to say you shouldn't do what ever YOU want. Personally I don't mind a bill of sale if that's what the seller/buyer wants. I WILL look at a DL/CCL and make note of a full name and keep for my records though.

Good luck with the sales.

Mike

There was a BOS form floating around the board somewhere. I'd purchased a gun from a member and he'd used it. It was specific to fire arm buy/sell I believe.

Some buyers will be put off if they have to give up a DL number and personal info. That's NOT to say you shouldn't do what ever YOU want. Personally I don't mind a bill of sale if that's what the seller/buyer wants. I WILL look at a DL/CCL and make note of a full name and keep for my records though.

Good luck with the sales.

Mike

Thanks - basically I just need enough information to protect myself and the buyer, and trying to figure out what is customary and effective. This is uncharted territory for me. My ads do state that a bill of sale is required.

http://texasguntrader.com/billofsale.pdf
This looks like it would work. I you feel it is necessary.

As far as FTF sales... When I am buying or selling, I usually invite people to the house and have some coffee ready.

Wish you well in your dealings.

That looks like a pretty solid form and will likely use it. Probably won't record the DL and other personal info outside of name and signature

Do any of you think recording the DL and address are important?

Outside of state and federal laws, I have no special requirements for FTF deals. It's usually up to the person I'm dealing with. Sometimes they request a BOS, sometimes a copy of my ID, sometimes just a handshake (or all three).

Parking lots usually work for me.

I've done deals in almost every conceivable parking lot; Denny's, malls, Krispy Kreme, target, wal mart, cabelas, yard birds, harbor freight, Chuck's, gas stations. I've met at sellers houses a lot actually, only sold from my house once.

I'd say my least favorite spot is a Mall, so many cars always driving around, it's lame.

New favorite spot is at Park and Rides, not a ton of traffic, not odd for cars or people to be hanging around for awhile, usually right off freeway and easy to find.

Had a poor outcome this morning with a grumpy inpatient buyer.
I told him when I was free, that I was interested but had questions about what he was offering.

I told him that Im a busy guy, and not stringing him along.. Im just busy and will be free monday or sunday evening (tonight)

He then spouts off that a phone call could some how make it all better or quicker and I told him I just dont have that kind of time. Between being in crawlspaces and having lord knows what on my hands or doing yard work I tell everyone I respond better to text and email using the talk/text function. To take the time to pull over or stop what Im doing just doesnt work for me.. The talk to text function is faster and allows a saved copy for both folks to have should they have questions later on.
Whats included, its finish, mag capacity, my location, our meet time.. Etc.

Anyhow he was NOT the right buyer.. Anyone like that is the kind of folk to shoot someone due to road rage so I passed.

For every 10 you'll have one bad apple.

Geez, I've met most people at an open parking lot. Restaurant, sporting goods store, coffee shop. I'm not a really nervous kind of guy. I'm usually discrete, as far as the public's concerned, so we'll sit in a car, or lay things in the back of a pickup tail gate. Not too thrilled with waving guns around in a public place, but most of the guys I've dealt with on here have been very cool in that regard, too.
Like Skang said, the folks on here are quite a bit different than the craigslist crowd.

If you're really concerned, check out the NWFA trade ratings for whomever you're dealing with.

That is pretty much the best answer you can get. I have traded, sold from grocery stores to mall parking lots and the key for me is to get on the phone with the buyer feedback or no. If something feels off during a phone call I am out. Otherwise I would recommend you do get a chl if dealing with non members here. I have yet to have a deal go wrong with quite a few guns sold from this site. In fact I have met some very cool people. If you have strong concerns then you can simply go to a shop and have it transferred legally for the 25 dollar transfer that frontline arms charges...some charge a lot more so I would do a little homework before showing up at a random store to do a transfer.

I might be the only person here to ever sell from their home, but if you come to hurt me, its the same as any other. met with 5.56.
I try to believe in the honestly of people and I suppose I have been Blessed in my transactions.

Descending further into my densitude, I have a question about the bill of sale - do you just use the standard Bill of Sale form from Staples?

Also what information about the buyer should I record? Name, obviously, but do you also get DL number and address? Naturally I record the firearm info.

"Obviously" and "naturally" are your suppositions, and if are reality, then I'll proudly admit to being obtuse and out of touch.
If you feel the need, we all do what gives us peace. It is my opine, the bill of sale is for your peace of mind only as it will hold about as much weight as a feather if you have to go to court. Unless there is a warranty, (or your or my brand on the horse or cow) , I see no point. When I'm home, I record S/N, brief purchase and firearm particulars along with the price or update it when I move it along. There may be first names if I know you, but no last , or any form of license#. This is only done for MY future perusing and reminiscing pleasure and to assist when it comes time to revalue it.
You buy from me or sell me your gun and are uncomfortable or paranoid, I'll sign your toy form if I must and want your stuff but will lament this is what the USA has become. Oh, you can keep my copy, I've enough paperwork actually required by law to keep track of.

There is a lot of good people on here ,and I have been very fortunate to even meet a few. Much better quality of folks here then on other sites.

"Obviously" and "naturally" are your suppositions, and if are reality, then I'll proudly admit to being obtuse and out of touch.
If you feel the need, we all do what gives us peace. It is my opine, the bill of sale is for your peace of mind only as it will hold about as much weight as a feather if you have to go to court. Unless there is a warranty, (or your or my brand on the horse or cow) , I see no point. When I'm home, I record S/N, brief purchase and firearm particulars along with the price or update it when I move it along. There may be first names if I know you, but no last , or any form of license#. This is only done for MY future perusing and reminiscing pleasure and to assist when it comes time to revalue it.
You buy from me or sell me your gun and are uncomfortable or paranoid, I'll sign your toy form if I must and want your stuff but will lament this is what the USA has become. Oh, you can keep my copy, I've enough paperwork actually required by law to keep track of.

I never bother with a bill of sale. I look at your Oregon ID and unless you look like a bubblegum. its all good.

I sold one to a guy that worked at the state pen! Ya never know who you might meet on here, and I mean that in a good way.

One of the guys on the "Pay it forward" thread is a corrections officer. Nice guy, easy transaction.

As others have said:
1) good communications/setting expectations up front is good. I feel this begins in the ad (i.e. Need ODL, etc)
2) If your spidey senses tingle, cancel. Safety > possible issues.
3) Use the feedback ratings, as that helps us all.

Good luck.

One of the guys on the "Pay it forward" thread is a corrections officer. Nice guy, easy transaction.

As others have said:
1) good communications/setting expectations up front is good. I feel this begins in the ad (i.e. Need ODL, etc)
2) If your spidey senses tingle, cancel. Safety > possible issues.
3) Use the feedback ratings, as that helps us all.

Good luck.
I wouldn't out a soul. spidey senses indeed

Oh, it was about you essentially dropping a dime on someone. nevermind.. it's all good

Ahh. I've only had good transactions on here. Truly it's because both me and the other person had communication up front, and had agreement on what was going to happen: Place, Time, $$ amount, or trade item(s), and/or pay it forward stuff.

The communication process to get to a meeting usually weeds out the 'issues.'

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads