JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone! I haven't owned a gun in quite a while, but recently ran out and panic bought a shotgun (yeah, I'm 'one of those'. Sorry). Not too surprisingly, all they had left were mostly hunting oriented shotguns, and I ended up with a Remington 870 with a 28" barrel. I'm going to be using this mostly for home defense, so I'm planning on cutting the barrel down to either a little over 18" or ~20" (one or the other due to the vent rib barrel). I've searched google a fair amount, but most of what I found was in regards to buying a new gun/barrel of a given length. It seemed like most people thought there wasn't a huge difference? I'm mostly just wondering if there's any reason I'd regret cutting off the extra 2", as I can always make it shorter, obviously.

In terms of background, I have a tiny bit of shooting experience from the Boy Scouts when I was a kid, and shooting at garbage in rock quarries with friends in my early 20's but it's been a while. Plus none of that was exactly geared towards post-apocalyptic-home-defense situations (although, if we're ever being attacked by old paint cans, I'm your guy). So anyway, any advice about barrel length, or home defense/firearms in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

This short

20200118_143819.jpg

Just order a short barrel for it, that way you still have the ability to swap out barrels if you want to hunt with the longer barrel and chokes or the short barrel for home defense

Welcome to the forum! While we (most of us) are not attorneys, none of our advice should be taken without first consulting one.

Hey everyone! I haven't owned a gun in quite a while, but recently ran out and panic bought a shotgun (yeah, I'm 'one of those'. Sorry). Not too surprisingly, all they had left were mostly hunting oriented shotguns, and I ended up with a Remington 870 with a 28" barrel. I'm going to be using this mostly for home defense, so I'm planning on cutting the barrel down to either a little over 18" or ~20" (one or the other due to the vent rib barrel). I've searched google a fair amount, but most of what I found was in regards to buying a new gun/barrel of a given length. It seemed like most people thought there wasn't a huge difference? I'm mostly just wondering if there's any reason I'd regret cutting off the extra 2", as I can always make it shorter, obviously.

In terms of background, I have a tiny bit of shooting experience from the Boy Scouts when I was a kid, and shooting at garbage in rock quarries with friends in my early 20's but it's been a while. Plus none of that was exactly geared towards post-apocalyptic-home-defense situations (although, if we're ever being attacked by old paint cans, I'm your guy). So anyway, any advice about barrel length, or home defense/firearms in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Read this so you don't get yourself and your family Randy Weaver'd

Read this so you don't get yourself and your family Randy Weaver'd

I didn't mean to imply I was going to cut it to <18".

Can you buy a short barrel and swap the long one on it out? You may want the longer one later for hunting. Alternatively, put it in the shotgun or parts classifieds as a WTT (want to trade). The short barrels seem to be on sale frequently.

Remington 870 Barrels

PS, no need to apologize for jumping onboard late. Better late than never. Welcome aboard.

Last Edited:

Thanks!

I don't know a thing about shotguns, I'd just like to say welcome to NWFA. Always looking for more faces, ideas and opinions here.

Can you buy a short barrel and swap the one on it out? You may want the longer one later for hunting.
I was thinking about doing that, but they seem hard to find/expensive. Also, the longer ones seem cheaper, so I figured if I wanted to go hunting when things get back to 'normal', I'd just buy a longer barrel at that point.

I was thinking about doing that, but they seem hard to find/expensive. Also, the longer ones seem cheaper, so I figured if I wanted to go hunting when things get back to 'normal', I'd just buy a longer barrel at that point.
There is a 20 inch barrel with furniture for an 870 in the classifieds right now for $75, that's a good deal and it's easy to swap out.

There is a 20 inch barrel with furniture for an 870 in the classifieds right now for $75, that's a good deal and it's easy to swap out.

Kismet?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads