JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Having cut a few barrels...

I wouldn't cut one with the vented rib unless you have all of the right tools personally.

Most likely you will mangle it- Better off to just have an extra 8" on the gun.

Just my 2¢

If your hell bent on cutting it, go 20" or longer and line it up with the ribs so you don't have some funky looking end.

20" cuz you will want to find a mag tube extension for it if your serious about it being your HD gun they stick out to the 20" length.

Also you will need to drill and tap a new front sight on the ribs.

I would seriously take the advice to buy the barrel you want and use it as is until you get what you want.

As a cheaper easier option, buy a long non vented rib barrel and use a pipe cutter to gently take off what you want, sand it, cold blue it and buy a snap on Hi-Viz sight (you can find them on Amazon)

Good luck and better late to the party then not at all. Most folks would stay put in a room and aim at the door - no reason to clear the house (especially without training) and the spread on a 28"vs 20" barrel in a house is almost nothing.

Shot will spread approximately 1" per yard it travels.

Also! Sign up as a paying member and get in on the raffle that's happening today or tomorrow I forget which. $30 ain't that bad

Read this so you don't get yourself and your family Randy Weaver'd

The measerment from the inside with the bolt closed has to be 18 .,,,,18 1/2 to be safe . If there is a barrel on here. You would be way ahead of the game . Your shotty would then serve 2 purposes.

1585167494899.jpeg

Joking aside.

A hacksaw and a good file is all you need. If you have access to an end mill that's even better.

Here is an older 870 clone I did as example. It was cut with hacksaw and finished with an end mill to square off the muzzle. Some minor sanding and filing to get the cosmetic right. Then parkerized.

211CA9A5-5907-419D-96FD-F789DEB1B0C3.jpeg 3C036344-3903-47AF-A806-24FADF6CA409.jpeg

Just order a short barrel for it, that way you still have the ability to swap out barrels if you want to hunt with the longer barrel and chokes or the short barrel for home defense

^^^ This

There is a 20 inch barrel with furniture for an 870 in the classifieds right now for $75, that's a good deal and it's easy to swap out.

^^^THIS

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OP, I've witnessed some "hack jobs" on shotgun barrels.... but IMO, if you got the skillz, go for it.

You will wind up with a wide open barrel, no "choke". (You can look up "shotgun choke"). Which is probably OK for home defense, but maybe not for yard/perimeter defense.

The info of 1" spread of shot for 1yd of travel of the shot charge is good info... that means that generally most hallway distance is fine unless you have a huge house.

Don't wreck your nice 28" vent barrel.
Buy (go on line) and buy an 18" riot gun barrel.
Doing this will add value to your purchase.
Cutting will remove value, if that's important to you.

Last Edited:
If you're going to leave the full stock on it (recommended) then cut it anywhere above 18" that works w the rib standoffs. If you're ever going to cut the stock or add a pistol grip you want to be sure it meets the OAL criteria (26"?).
I've chopped a few and it's tough to get it perfectly square with a hacksaw, but w the rib that's probably what you'll be using unless you have a badass chopsaw. A little black epoxy will fill in the hollow part of the rib's "pillar".

One thing not mentioned here is bobbing the vent rib barrel will reduce the value of the shot gun while getting the second shorter barrel will increase the value. Might be something to consider long term.

One thing not mentioned here is bobbing the vent rib barrel will reduce the value of the shot gun while getting the second shorter barrel will increase the value. Might be something to consider long term.

I'd say it destroys the value of the barrel completely. But not the shotgun because the barrel can be replaced. Still, you're right, the economics of the action suck.

I'd say it destroys the value of the barrel completely. But not the shotgun because the barrel can be replaced. Still, you're right, the economics of the action suck.
That's your opinion. Its very common on the NFA world. Very common to take a 28" down to 23 or 26 and rem-choke it

That's your opinion. Its very common on the NFA world. Very common to take a 28" down to 23 or 26 and rem-choke it

Yeah, I'm not in the NFA world. And that was my opinion. So was the one I replied to.

So, you could have nicely (you display even less tact than I) informed me that the barrel would still have value uh, if it was rem-choked, is that it?

Yeah, I'm not in the NFA world. And that was my opinion. So was the one I replied to.

So, you could have nicely (you display even less tact than I) informed me that the barrel would still have value uh, if it was rem-choked, is that it?
Value is based on what someone is willing to pay. You think is has no value "destroyed " that is where you are wrong

Value is based on what someone is willing to pay. You think is has no value "destroyed " that is where you are wrong

Someone is willing to pay for a hacksawed shotgun barrel... imagine that.... I stand corrected. Thanx for letting me know how wrong I was. Especially since you did it in such a nice way!!! Apparently it is important for you to tell people they are wrong, rather than just stating a different opinion... how nice for you... remind me to clap <jazz hands> :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top