JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Politicians are now complete Dictators... They pass laws making the law abiding criminals and let the real criminals go scott free...:(:eek::mad:

Gotta make up the budget deficit somewhere and they certainly aren't going to hurt their OWN pensions and pay raises

Pretty good move if you ask me.

Nothing will come of it if they are actually bluffing.

If it's not a bluff, it would possibly force elected sheriffs to resign, that way they could "fill" the position as they see fit.

Kind of reminds me of why Police were created, as that system allowed politicians to bypass electric law enforcement by appointing anyone they want to be in charge.

1582737523512.png

Kind of reminds me of why Police were created, as that system allowed politicians to bypass electric law enforcement by appointing anyone they want to be in charge.

I do believe that "Police" in the U.S. have always (always) been hired, not elected (electricated). Sheriff as an elected position AFAIK is a recent development in history.

Intentionally provocative in a way only snarky liberals (and 6 yr olds) can manage.

I hope the sheriffs and deputies affected by this tantrum take the high road and continue to conduct themselves with the kind of professionalism foreign to the legiscritters running that circus.

Maintaining the moral high ground will play well with the public. Talk of a strike or "Blue Flu"-type protests, while understandable, won't win over any new supporters and will alienate backers.

It'll be tough, but if they can do it I forsee a huge turnover in the VA statehouse and their next raise being made retroactive.

They need to keep public opinion on their side.

Last Edited:
It's written into various states' (not all) Constitutions. Sheriff as an elected official vs being hired varies from state to state.

Well, I was thinking of the time prior to statehood in response to "police" being "created" as a way to get around "electric" law enforcement. If we go back to the time period when "police" depts were first "created", that would be consistent logic vs comparing it to today.

Makum sense???

So will the Sherriff's and Police still be there to protect the state government? I see a flu epidemic coming to Virginia and it isn't corona.

Well, I was thinking of the time prior to statehood in response to "police" being "created" as a way to get around "electric" law enforcement. If we go back to the time period when "police" depts were first "created", that would be consistent logic vs comparing it to today.

Makum sense???
I don't know what electric law enforcement is. Is the root word "elect" or is it actually "electric"?

If we go back to Colonial times, pre-revolution, then I guess our LE was based on British Common Law or the Magna Carta. In those pre-democratic-process days I believe you're correct: Top Cops were appointed by the lords or they raised private armies. That tradition still stands in some states where Sheriffs are appointed. I prefer the electoral process, especially the part where elected sheriffs are accountable to The People vs one person, the governor or AG as the case may be. Another genius move towards self-limiting government and separation of powers... written by government officials who maintained a VERY healthy skepticism (cynicism, really) towards government.

Me saying anything more on this subject would prove the old saw: Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt... I just don't know enough about it.

I will say though, in the overall time frame of human evolution, elected sheriffs are definitely a modern innovation.

Last Edited:
I don't know what electric law enforcement is. Is the root word "elect" or is it actually "electric"?

If we go back to Colonial times, pre-revolution, then I guess our LE was based on British Common Law or the Magna Carta. In those pro-democratic-process days I believe you're correct: Top Cops were appointed by the lords or they raised private armies.

Me saying anything more on this subject would prove the old saw: Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt... I just don't know enough about it.

Well, think about how territories expanded beyond the original 13 states. These areas were not exactly governed by Colonial rules, but instead had a kind of pragmatic practice. The mayor or city fathers hired someone to be "Sheriff". Yes? As opposed to "Marshalls" that were appointed positions, generally by the Governor of the Territory.

IDK, most of what I think I know about that comes from watching Western movies like Wyatt Earp. I'd have to do some research to go back to the meaning of "Sheriff" under the Magna Carta.... no thanx!! ;);)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top