JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When it is noticeable in weight and sound difference I'll clean them. Only one I clean more often is the one that has baffles that allow crud to build up on the inner tube walls. If it goes too long, I have to use a wooden dowel and hammer to get the baffle stack out. The rest have interlocking baffles so the tube stays clean. Longest period on one of them was 15000-20000 rounds. It was surprisingly not that bad. Worst part was picking out all the carbon and lead from the blast chamber.

When it is noticeable in weight and sound difference I'll clean them. Only one I clean more often is the one that has baffles that allow crud to build up on the inner tube walls. If it goes too long, I have to use a wooden dowel and hammer to get the baffle stack out. The rest have interlocking baffles so the tube stays clean. Longest period on one of them was 15000-20000 rounds. It was surprisingly not that bad. Worst part was picking out all the carbon and lead from the blast chamber.
A sonic cleaner makes cleaning .22 suppressors an easy to do job

I have a SilencerCo Sparrow with aluminum internals. I clean every 1000 rounds or so. I mainly just chip away at the heavier build up with a pick and then clean the build up on the two shims that fit around the stack. I've had it since 2013 and it's probably seen 10,000 rounds. Still running strong.

I've found CLR works well with zero need for any sort of sonic cleaner.
Sonic cleaner is totally useless compared to CLR, @Reno is right!

Just don't use it on aluminum or anything with a coating you want to keep looking nice. Raw steel or titanium only (just the baffles)!

What should I use to clean aluminum baffles?
No one has really come up with a definitive solution to that question yet, lol. I have an AAC Aviator 2 with coated aluminum internals that I've used (against others advice) a sonic cleaner. It worked ok, but hardly worth the time, I just use plastic pics or plastic scrapers to get the bulk off and then soak in CLR overnight, one last scrape and call it good.

No one has really come up with a definitive solution to that question yet, lol. I have an AAC Aviator 2 with coated aluminum internals that I've used (against others advice) a sonic cleaner. It worked ok, but hardly worth the time, I just use plastic pics or plastic scrapers to get the bulk off and then soak in CLR overnight, one last scrape and call it good.
are you using distilled water in your sonic cleaner and metal specific solution (IE non case cleaning solution)? I use simple green when doing the internals on my 22 suppressor.. I also know distilled water is far superior to tap water for cleaning with a sonic cleaner.

are you using distilled water in your sonic cleaner and metal specific solution (IE non case cleaning solution)? I use simple green when doing the internals on my 22 suppressor.. I also know distilled water is far superior to tap water for cleaning with a sonic cleaner.
Simple green diluted with tap water, lol. I'll give the distilled water a try next time.

What should I use to clean aluminum baffles?
Elbow grease.

There really isn't a simple method for aluminum like soaking or whatnot. Just too soft and porous. Scraping and light solvents is the best bet.

I shot lead through mine for a session, once. Didn't think about it. It was a real mess. I tend to clean in each time it comes out to play. Because it's fun.

I soaked a can with aluminum baffles in vinegar/peroxide for a few hours just enough to loosen the gunk then took it apart. A wire brush took care of the rest. In the future I will only make my silencers form all stainless with welded endcaps then chemically clean them.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top