JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I can only imagine how the girlfriend felt when this happened. Definitely not the way to teach someone gun safety...Rule number one treat every gun like it's loaded and the safety is off.

<broken link removed>

KSDK -- An Imperial man is dead after accidentally shooting himself in the head while teaching his girlfriend firearms safety.

Sheriff Glenn Boyer said that on Friday, deputies responded to 4307 Rock Valley Court in Imperial for a shooting. Investigators found 40-year-old James Looney with a gunshot wound to the head.

According to witnesses, Looney was demonstrating how to use the different safety mechanisms on several guns to his girlfriend. The witnesses said Looney would put the guns to his head, and before pulling the trigger, would ask her if she thought the gun would go off. With the first two guns, the safety mechanisms worked. The third gun fired.

Looney was transported to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead the next morning.

According to witnesses, Looney was going to take his girlfriend to the shooting range the next day, but insisted on the lesson on firearm safety the day before.

Deputies believe alcohol was involved.

A little insensitive here, aren't we guys? With alcohol involved, all things are possible. Tell me that we all haven't done some pretty incredibly stupid things ourselves that could have ended in disaster but for the hand of fate or god.

Holding a gun to my head loaded or not would not be part of the lesson plan for me! That just goes against one of my basic rules "NEVER point a gun at anything I don't intend to destroy" And I find life is so much better with my head intact...

I feel bad for his girlfriend, that will not be a memory that will ever leave mind and she may not ever handle a firearm because of Looney's foolish behaviour.

Insensitive!? I guess so but it's real hard for me to be sensitive when somebody does something that stupid. Exactly how did he figure that was teaching gun safety...

Holding a gun to my head loaded or not would not be part of the lesson plan for me! That just goes against one of my basic rules "NEVER point a gun at anything I don't intend to destroy" And I find life is so much better with my head intact...

I feel bad for his girlfriend, that will not be a memory that will ever leave mind and she may not ever handle a firearm because of Looney's foolish behaviour.

Exactly! The dude was an idiot and he just made all guns and their owners look stupid. I'm sorry if that sounds insensitive but it's the cold hard facts. I'm not sad, I'm PO'd sorry.

A little insensitive here, aren't we guys? With alcohol involved, all things are possible. Tell me that we all haven't done some pretty incredibly stupid things ourselves that could have ended in disaster but for the hand of fate or god.
Insensitive? Are you freekin kidding?What if he had shoot his girlfriend?Would you feel sorry for him because he was drinking?
Get real!
Drinking is not a defense for criminal act's or act's of of incredible stupidity. I'm glad he shot himself and not anyone else. I agree with the natural selection quote.

Don't confuse accident's with act's of stupidity that beg for tragedy.

This is another reason I don't drink. I always carry and I don't ever want to inhibit my reasoning or judgment. The guy was careless and a fool. I do feel sorry for the girlfriend though. No one should have to witness something like that.

I dont under stand, How is this insemsitive??? If anything we need to be meaner. If gun at his head and pulled the trigger, how would you feal? if you are to drunk to handle a gun, then dont. If you are stupid enought to piont a loaded gun at your own head and pull the trigger, please do so, you are to stupid to live anywheys. but make sure no one else has to witnes it.

It is are responciblity as gun owners and users to not only own and use, but to spread knowldge of safe handling. when something like this hits the media, people blame guns. I say blame the idiot.

Must be related.

"Stupid is, as stupid does"

atf.jpg

What say we all go the guy's funeral and carry signs indicating that he was a Class A dumb-***, and an idiot, and a jerk, and a careless fool? I'm sure that would make everyone feel better about the situation, including the girl friend.

Look, no question that the guy screwed up big time -- and for the last time. And yeah, he's lucky that he didn't take out someone else while he was doing it -- no argument. I just don't think that we gain anything by leaking on the graves of folks like this, which is what we seem to be doing here. If you think that people read about this sort of thing and blame guns and, by default, the gun community, just imagine what people would think about the gun community if they read some of the comments in this thread.

Flame away, but I think that we should all be bigger than this.

We are not at a funeral, we are on a gun forum.

Do I feel sorry for his friends and family for their loss? Of course I do.

Am I not going to call him an idiot for doing something stupid here - NO.

If we (responsible gun owners) can't point out stupidity, especially when it come to firearms misuse then who should. Yes, some are going to vent their anger, frustration or sorrow with "black humor" but that is OK.

By the way, If he had been a friend of mine I would have gone to his funeral and cried with his family but at home I would still curse him for his stupidity.

Just for the record 20 years ago I did lose a close friend because of drunk driving, her fault. I did cry with family and curse her too for being careless.

We are not at a funeral, we are on a gun forum.

Do I feel sorry for his friends and family for their loss? Of course I do.

Am I not going to call him an idiot for doing something stupid here - NO.

If we (responsible gun owners) can't point out stupidity, especially when it come to firearms misuse then who should. Yes, some are going to vent their anger, frustration or sorrow with "black humor" but that is OK.

By the way, If he had been a friend of mine I would have gone to his funeral and cried with his family but at home I would still curse him for his stupidity.

Just for the record 20 years ago I did lose a close friend because of drunk driving, her fault. I did cry with family and curse her too for being careless.

I completely agree and if that makes me seem insensitive to some oh well...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top