JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A little bit of African Blackwood. A decided step up from plastic and white line spacers...

CAA5E350-70B4-40D6-B435-09A4713EA5EB.jpeg

I'da left the white line spacers in. That is so 50's-60's and harkens back to the days of "homebuilt" hot rods.... The wood is nice and will look great, but...:D

White line spacers and California style stocks...:s0170:

Just can't stand them. I'm old old school. Pre-war style sporter style is my wheelhouse.

Last Edited:
I'm kinda a fan of both schools here, I like the old ways with fancy metal accouterments and wood, as well as the stripped down svelte classic lines of the 50's era sporters, and some times a combination of both. Seems the stock shape and the grain pattern here really work together with the spacers. I'm a huge fan of the slash cut for end caps, especially the Schnable design, which can work with or with out spacers and look very sexy on both the old classics and new builds!

I redid a stock for a friend on a Herters rifle. The white line spacers were actually lightning bolt shaped. It was so unique it got left alone. I can't think of a single other time I've left white line spacers.

Just like cars, you fall in love with era's. Some love the 60's and 70's. I love the era from about 1900 (actually a bit before) up until right around 1950 at the latest. The style just looks right.

When I grew up, Dad and Uncle had round top Ruger m77's. Iron sights with a banded front, walnut stock with no Monte Carlo cheekpiece, grip caps, and a red recoil pad. It's how my mind defines rifle, and that era of builders worked mostly with that style.

When rifle builders hit the 70's, subtleties went right out the window! :s0114:

Last Edited:
I'm kinda a fan of both schools here, I like the old ways with fancy metal accouterments and wood, as well as the stripped down svelte classic lines of the 50's era sporters, and some times a combination of both. Seems the stock shape and the grain pattern here really work together with the spacers. I'm a huge fan of the slash cut for end caps, especially the Schnable design, which can work with or with out spacers and look very sexy on both the old classics and new builds!

I agree, some of the 50's era rifles were very spartan and there is an art and beauty to that as well...

The number of 1903 sporters in the classified section for sale right now is entirely depressing, given that I have no disposable income until after the new year unless someone buys my FAL... :(

Last Edited:
I removed the white lines this morning. Need to order more acraglas to finish putting the tip and cap on. The holes for the reinforcing screws are in, the all-thread pegs are cut, I just need to glass it all together.

Haven't decided to give it a steel cap or a wood grip cap yet. Steel ones are getting expensive. Still need to get another red pad. Once I can get the parts ordered, I will be done quick.

Progress pictures later...
I like your style man.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews