JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Picked one up today, still has some cosmolean in it.

IMG_20180919_235624.jpg IMG_20180919_235737.jpg

Arsenal Stamp should be on the top strap of the receiver and on the barrel where the date stamp is. RRA maybe the inspector mark where it was refurbished. IF the barrel and receiver date is different it was Refurbedat one of the Arsenals or re-barreled some where else such as CMP

Arsenal Stamp should be on the top strap of the receiver and on the barrel where the date stamp is. RRA maybe the inspector mark where it was refurbished. IF the barrel and receiver date is different it was Refurbedat one of the Arsenals or re-barreled some where else such as CMP

Receiver says US Remington 03A3, barrel says RA, firebomb stamp, 5-44. I've read it was common for barrels to be of a later date due to differences in supply of the two they're only a year apart, maybe less.

R.R.A. Stands for Red River Arsenal and that would be the Rebuild Arsenal for your '03.

Makes sense thanks for the info. It seems to be in pretty much unissued condition as it is now. Has the typical marks on the bolt from operation but everything else is totally clean. Doesn't look like it's been shot more than a few times after it was de-cosmoleaned.

I typically buy Luger's/p38s but this caught my eye the other day.

As I pawed through my safe the other day, I realized that I have either stripped or sold off all my dedicated Springfield sporters. Horrible to disrespect the memory of Michael Petrov by not having at least one well made sporter in the mix.
Friends to the rescue! A buddy said "I have this old Springfield", and asked if I wanted it. Yes. Yes, please. Yes, pretty please. From his description, I was expecting a sporterized but restorable 03a3 Remington. Well, my guess was right on 2 out of 4. It was a Remington, and it was sporterized.
After I swallowed my tears about finally getting my hands on a Remington 1903 and having it not restorable, I realized that a good bit of the work is reasonably decent. The front receiver ring is contoured down, hence the not restorable. The holes on the front ring are not in line, but that's just a fill, weld, and re-drill and tap. Same on the rear bridge. It the barrel is decent (as if I didn't have more sporter barrels lying around), so it will likely stay in .30-06...

A couple of stocks came with it, but all will require a good bit of love. I will actually need to resort to chemical stripper for this stock. The paint is thick and the grain was wide open when it was applied, so no amount of sanding (at least not without removing 1/16"+ of wood) will clear it.

I need to find some simple but elegant barrel mount iron sights. And I need to figure out some quick release scope bases. Times like this I wish I was a better machinist, as I'd just weld on some bar stock and machine in some Talley style.

Not sure how fancy I'll go. I envision an Americanized version of a classic British stalking rifle. Posting some pictures of the starting point. Will post more as I go along. Has to have a red pad, just to keep pace with @bsa1917hunter and all his fancy sporters.

ED7F2C31-BFBA-4E5E-83FE-1629A9310CFE.jpeg 8C172378-1DCC-45AF-B078-282FA86A5FEE.jpeg BDF2888C-67B9-4C00-89E7-F686C9EEEE62.jpeg EC6276EB-C4C7-49A0-B3A3-C0D453E16B1D.jpeg 376600AB-5F4F-4E26-B8B3-2BF0DADD30CA.jpeg BE095C0F-9AB9-4BAD-B39D-38D1C1A1FAAB.jpeg A47EBBE2-52C4-4C1B-9B23-0B7E99797E7A.jpeg

Reposting my 03-A3 in this thread.

Smith-Corona serial number over-run with Remington.
Original finish with C prefix in the white. ''ON'' side of selector is also in the white.

Stock is original to the rifle and has never been sanded. As is the 6-43 barrel that's in like new condition.

IMG_0254 (2).JPG IMG_0256 (2).JPG IMG_0260 (2).JPG IMG_0261 (2).JPG IMG_0263 (2).JPG IMG_0258.JPG

I keep finding projects to build out of Springfields. Saw someone over on CMP forums who rebuilt an 03a3 in 6.5x55. I could see an 03a4-gery in 6.5x55. Seems to me I have four or five hundred rounds of 6.5x55 ammo laying around...

I took a 03 sporter in 30-06 and had pac-nor rebarrel it to 6.5x55. I have a wisner 2 position safety that needs installed yet. Also want to make a new stock for it. Took it antelope hunting this year and shot one with it. Great old round.

You have some of the neatest stuff @Medic! I so want an Endfield or a 03/03A3 for my next buy. Got the money sitting in the safe. Problem is there are so fricken many different configurations, manufacturers and things to figure out. It boggles MY mind. I need a mentor! ;) When I bought my Swede Mauser, I used some input from some members and some reading. I ended up with a fine specimen for a great price.

If you ever get south @Mikej, you are welcome to fondle and shoot any of the ones in my collection. Some are original, some are arsenal rebuilt, many are arsenal rebuilt by me, and some are reimagined and put together versions of guns that may or may not have existed as experimental guns...

I should be able to give you a general idea of what to look for, where markings should be, what markings should be there, and how much you should look to spend.

Last Edited:
SgtNambu had super slick 1903 chambered in 6.5X55 swede! That was a stunning rifle to say the least, he had a custom stock made for it and set trigger, he showed a few targets he shot, very impressive!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top