JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Old tyme cowboys (as depicted in documentaries called "movies") knew the old trick of "throwing" your gun to time with the shot going off... especially while riding horseback forward real fast. Probably added a little something something..

Using my common backwoods math...

Drop from 5' high should take roughly 3 seconds...

950ft/s forward travel time gives me 285' forward travel...

Using my common backwoods math...

Drop from 5' high should take roughly 3 seconds...

950ft/s forward travel time gives me 285' forward travel...

I hope you meant .3 seconds, otherwise you need heavier ammo. :)

If a cartridge is truly sealed, and was sealed in an air environment, then a primer will ignite the powder, even in a vacuum. However, if the cartridge is not sealed enough to keep the air (actually, the oxygen in the air) in, there will be ZERO ignition.

Center fire (and rimfire) rounds would work perfectly well in a vacuum, sealed or not. The primer and propellant contain their own oxidizers. And that's not surprising - the amount of oxygen in any shell casing is way too little to oxidize the amount of propellant there.

By the way, since chamber pressures are routinely 30000PSI (handguns) on up, the presence of 15psi air or lack thereof is pretty insignificant.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews