JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Aloha, Mark

Sheesh, you made it hard to quote your reply!

Anyway, I forgot to mention that this young man had just gotten off active duty Army. o_O

Why is it that so many Police Chiefs say that people shouldn't own handguns, but Sheriffs are generally supportive? Could it be that one is hired and the other is elected?

Now that I'm retired, I wear an old Firestar .45 hat about half the time I go out. Weird, people never bother me about it or comment on it. Must be where ya'll live. My other hat is an Air Life medical transport hat. Now that does draw some comments. And some nice discussions since I used to be the Air Life Representative in NE Oregon.

Most probably don't
Know what a fire-star is.and were born after the company folded. If the hat said glock or smith & Wesson they might have approached you . I seen a five-star. 45 for sale on here the other day if I had spare funds I would have bought it . Great well built self defense pistol at affordable price.
^^^ This.

Yah well, I wouldn't spit on yer car. But my understanding is that for most people, this investment doesn't pencil out. Boggles me. I've been told that it's mostly a green support thing for them.

I had a customer, a young fellow in his 20s, in my shop. We were doing some gun talk while he was waiting for something and being it was during the shortage he mentioned that he had just scored an AR15 purchase from Walmart. But he was glad they weren't going to sell them anymore because people shouldn't be allowed to have them. o_O

It was ok for him... but "people" read peons shoudn't be "allowed" to have them. We got into it and he brought up the can't fight our military argument. Wouldn't be persuaded that the mere possession of a counter-arms presence dissuades armed abuse from government. Just like a carry gun dissuades criminal attack. Go figure.

Just point out that like most minorities, lawful gun owners just want to be left alone to enjoy their rights.

Would you go up to someone with a rainbow tattoo and say "AIDS kills people. Gay sex is the major source of AIDS. We should ban gays."

Just point out that like most minorities, lawful gun owners just want to be left alone to enjoy their rights.

Would you go up to someone with a rainbow tattoo and say "AIDS kills people. Gay sex is the major source of AIDS. We should ban gays."

Maybe we should start a petition . Taking away some of their rights and see how they like it.

Mmmmm, the Firestar hat has a pic of a .45 on it. I would think that would be enough to start some crap no matter what the age of the handgun (or the fogey wearing it :cool:).

No matter, I wear a SCAR shirt too. Never had a comment on that either. I think this is just a valley phenom. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should start a petition . Taking away some of their rights and see how they like it.

Throw the "Keep government out of our bedrooms" argument back in their faces. Should government make you lock up your car keys, booze, cigarettes, sex toys or whatever, because someone may break into your house and misuse them?

I've proposed the same thing before. Seems to me a very common thread in mass shootings is social media - from researching the shooting (such as the Las Vegas shooter did), to announcing their intentions ahead of time (most of them do this in some way) to being bullied online, etc., etc. Social media seems to play a huge roll in mass shootings. So, it's time to restrict first amendment rights to access the internet and social media - it's for the kids and will save lives. Obviously, all these folks screaming for gun control will immediately get on board with the idea because all they care about - the only thing they care about, is saving lives. So yeah, let's push for common sense free speech reform!

Actually, I have used this very argument with folks, here on the forum and in person. To date, no one has a comeback. Once you go after something they do care about, the tone of the argument changes quickly. And they know damn well enough they can't defend social media - it's clearly part of the problem in these incidents.

I also like to suggest raising the driving age to 21 and raise the ownership of smart phones to 21. Since more 15-19 year olds die, every year, from texting and driving than die in mass shootings, it seems common sense to raise the age for both of these things. Again, when I present this to folks they usually have nothing to offer in the way of a return argument. Use their "logic" against them. If they can "reason" that we need to do things like they suggest, turn that sh!t back around on them and see how they like it.

Honestly, I'd be tempted to put together a "Common Sense Social Media and Cell Phone Ban" ballot measure together, just to let them get a taste of how it feels when their first amendment rights are under fire. Then watch them all scramble to try and block it like we are with IP43.

How other people react or think is beyond my control.

If I think that the other person is receptive to other ideas or open to a real discussion , then depending on the time and place I may engage.

If one the other hand the person is all in my face and not seemingly open to a real discussion , or its not the time or place for such a "discussion" , I just tend to be quiet and disengage ...no point in wasting my time , getting upset or even worrying 'bout it.

As they say : "You can't fix stupid"...And when you engage with such people , it is very easy to fall to their level...and I do not like to appear stupid.

When I do talk guns to a anti gunner , I stick to facts , my personal experiences and try my best to leave emotions at the wayside.
Andy

Well it won't let me edit the title but I meant it to say verbally defend your rights.

More and more I am running into liberals who are anti gun Especially at work.

I have a tattoo of don't tread on me so it alway draws them to me.

I have had a lot of people come up to me and blatantly say all guns should be/banned taken away. And that things are changing just wait and see.

It's getting so bad out there. The other day I was in the grocery store and I had two younger teenagers walk up to me and tell me that they wanted guns taken away. Then they asked me if giving up my guns would save one child's life from a school shooting why wouldn't I do that.

Well normally I would have just moved on but this time I figured I would tell them my thoughts on the subject.
They ended up telling me I was a horrid person without a soul I believe is what they said and left to a different isle.

What are a few things you can say to people like that especially if they are children/teenagers(since they are being brain washed and used now).

I used to shrug it off but because of all the damn anti gun crap it's becoming more and more blatant.

Jp

OP,

You've already done enough. Just by not agreeing with them and not caving under social pressure while in person they've already lost.

The difference is:

They will go home and cry into a pillow and make an angry post on some obscure website.

You can simply carry on.

I've proposed the same thing before. Seems to me a very common thread in mass shootings is social media - from researching the shooting (such as the Las Vegas shooter did), to announcing their intentions ahead of time (most of them do this in some way) to being bullied online, etc., etc. Social media seems to play a huge roll in mass shootings. So, it's time to restrict first amendment rights to access the internet and social media - it's for the kids and will save lives. Obviously, all these folks screaming for gun control will immediately get on board with the idea because all they care about - the only thing they care about, is saving lives. So yeah, let's push for common sense free speech reform!

Actually, I have used this very argument with folks, here on the forum and in person. To date, no one has a comeback. Once you go after something they do care about, the tone of the argument changes quickly. And they know damn well enough they can't defend social media - it's clearly part of the problem in these incidents.

I also like to suggest raising the driving age to 21 and raise the ownership of smart phones to 21. Since more 15-19 year olds die, every year, from texting and driving than die in mass shootings, it seems common sense to raise the age for both of these things. Again, when I present this to folks they usually have nothing to offer in the way of a return argument. Use their "logic" against them. If they can "reason" that we need to do things like they suggest, turn that sh!t back around on them and see how they like it.

Honestly, I'd be tempted to put together a "Common Sense Social Media and Cell Phone Ban" ballot measure together, just to let them get a taste of how it feels when their first amendment rights are under fire. Then watch them all scramble to try and block it like we are with IP43.

I can see it already the first thing will come out of their mouth is the 1rst amendment is our constitutional right.

Mmmmm, the Firestar hat has a pic of a .45 on it. I would think that would be enough to start some crap no matter what the age of the handgun (or the fogey wearing it :cool:).

No matter, I wear a SCAR shirt too. Never had a comment on that either. I think this is just a valley phenom. :rolleyes:

They can understand a picture , It was how they were educated. all my hats just have brand name

Last Edited:
The can understand a picture , It was how they were educated. all my hats just have brand name

Ah. Well out here in Billy Bob and Cletus ville, we read in pictures... because life is like a box of choclattes you kmow. :D:D:D

Now where the hell did Wilson go? Wilson? Wilson!!! WILSON!!!!!

JK

Sheesh, you made it hard to quote your reply!

Anyway, I forgot to mention that this young man had just gotten off active duty Army. o_O

Why is it that so many Police Chiefs say that people shouldn't own handguns, but Sheriffs are generally supportive? Could it be that one is hired and the other is elected?[/QUOTE

Sheriffs are usually serving a rural rather than urban population as well as are elected by that population. And most rural people own guns. For many, it's a practical necessity. I don't contract with a farmer to grow seed corn for me, for example, unless he has a shotgun and can use it. If he doesnt, too much or all of the crop is lost to birds.

With all due respect to the question, anyone around last year in this group may remember I went out to so called pro-gun groups that wanted dialog with more conservative types like many of us here including liberal gun owners at NWFA whom support the rights to keep and bear arms.

There is a saying fool me once shame on you, fool me twice well you get it....
Now this coming from someone who reached across the isle and then was burned at the stake for even trying can say with no doubt there is no discussing it. Sure sure there are the rare ones that we take by the wing and go shooting with; to that I say thats a big waste of time if the goal to educate. There may be a few success stories sure but it will all be too little to late. Maybe pre-2015 there was a chance. But so many laws have passed, and I don't see the left nuts wanting to now be all warm and fuzzy with us, showing clear the only thing a anti-gunner wants in no guns for anyone.

There was a time discussion were a good idea, but unless its family or a friend you wish to have a relationship with then I will show every antyi-gunner the door.
Me, i'm done.......over and done..now way no how.......they can FOAD.....for all I care, harsh perhaps but I starred down the belly of that beast, and anyone wants to hold hands and walk down the isle singing Kumbiya well you do that and let me know how that turns out.
Not angry even though it may see that way, I wont ever waste my time on anyone that at first glance wont support my civil rights,
lives too short to waste it.

Last Edited:
I generally bring up that there is a process to change the constitution and that if they want to ban guns they need to go through that. But it will be very hard to get 38 states to sign off.

It can also go to a "but I have a right to not be afraid of your guns" to which I reply with something like "No, you feelings are yours, you have a right to pursue happiness however you want. You fear has nothing to do with my right to own guns."

Sometimes I get the "But if you could save X kids why wouldn't you?" and my reply is a bit more abstract.

First, my guns are not the problem they are locked up and I'm a responsible gun owner. Second, even if I could, I value freedoms more than the relatively small number of lives impacted by mass shootings/active shooter situations. I think more freedom is better and there is a price for it. I'm also opposed to many of the things which I feel make us less free like NSA spying, civil forfeiture, and many other awful practices our government engages in.

Well it won't let me edit the title but I meant it to say verbally defend your rights.

More and more I am running into liberals who are anti gun Especially at work.

I have a tattoo of don't tread on me so it alway draws them to me.

I have had a lot of people come up to me and blatantly say all guns should be/banned taken away. And that things are changing just wait and see.

It's getting so bad out there. The other day I was in the grocery store and I had two younger teenagers walk up to me and tell me that they wanted guns taken away. Then they asked me if giving up my guns would save one child's life from a school shooting why wouldn't I do that.

Well normally I would have just moved on but this time I figured I would tell them my thoughts on the subject.
They ended up telling me I was a horrid person without a soul I believe is what they said and left to a different isle.

What are a few things you can say to people like that especially if they are children/teenagers(since they are being brain washed and used now).

I used to shrug it off but because of all the damn anti gun crap it's becoming more and more blatant.

Jp
My simple answer to anyone would be this:
Ten teens die DAILY due to traffic collisions - why isn't anyone advocating for a nationwide 30MPH speed limit?
Or, better yet, a device in the car that renders the text message option on a cell phone "disabled" if the phone's accelerometer records a speed in excess of 10MPH (text message are sent via the GSM modem, not the "voice band" on the phone)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top