JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How Should Police Dress

• Professional Uniform, Pressed and Shined (Classic)

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • Utility Uniform, Function over Looks (Tactical)

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
I absolutely hate the military appearance cops are adopting. OD cargo bloused into black combat boots with plate carriers for essentially civil deputies....? MCSO doesn't hardly even do patrol - yet all their deputies look like they're deploying. bubblegum seriously irks me.

You're civilian peace keepers and public servants. NOT soldiers. There should be NO expectation of urban bubbleguming combat, and since your odds are about the same as any of the rest of us of ever actually getting into a gunfight, there's no justification or excuse for all that military bullbubblegum. The only purpose is serves is to intimidate compliance from the population you're supposed to be serving.

Yes, I have strong feelings on the topic.

I absolutely hate the military appearance cops are adopting. OD cargo bloused into black combat boots with plate carriers for essentially civil deputies....? MCSO doesn't hardly even do patrol - yet all their deputies look like they're deploying. bubblegum seriously irks me.

You're civilian peace keepers and public servants. NOT soldiers. There should be NO expectation of urban bubbleguming combat, and since your odds are about the same as any of the rest of us of ever actually getting into a gunfight, there's no justification or excuse for all that military bullbubblegum. The only purpose is serves is to intimidate compliance from the population you're supposed to be serving.

Yes, I have strong feelings on the topic.

Id like to describe our "uniform" to you and see what you think. We wear polo shirts tucked into BDU (butt and knee reinforced cargo) pants. No blousing of pants, no real standard for boot or pant color. All gear is black nylon. No camo. Officer decides to wear soft body armor under the uniform top or an outer vest carrier with molle loops to place gear instead of wearing on the duty belt.

Last Edited:
This is how I see all of them, even when they are all tacticool!:s0012: image.jpg

I can tell you if the Sheriff come to my house with two patrol cars dressed in normal attire I think ok they have something important. If they show up in full battle fatigues
with enough AA&E to take the city down, driving a camo-humvee, I am going to think Gun confiscation time. Its not just about public perception its about escalating the situation before its been evaluated that is the real problem is the police in some case are ignoring priority protocol, on non-threats. Evaluate and Response. Not control and react.

Prefer old school with a twist - I dont mind cargo pants or polo shirts - but I hate seeing tactical ninja cops in outer carriers and crap hanging off the front. Thigh holsters are fine though. There is a balance between function and form. There are comfortable pants out there that look good.

Beat cops looking like swat or military is a no no. It reinforces an already bad image and the military - police concept. Civvy cops should easily be identified as civvy cops and never mistaken for a soldier.

Suspenders balance the load off the belt to the shoulders. There are even uniform shirts designed to hide the suspenders straps.

I have pretty strong feelings on this.

And I gotta agree with Ben about MCSO. when I was in my teens i was an explorer with them. Patrol wore green class B (pressed shirt and pants) mostly and graveyard could wear a wool sweater. Bosy armor was concealed and deputies could choose leather or nylon gear for the belt but it had to match.

Civil deputies wore tan and green like ccso deputies. Still pressed pants n shirt. Explorers normally wore all tan to differentiate us. We also wore a different badge. For some duties we could wear tan bdus but not for in town assignments. Image was important.

Couple sheriffs later the cars went from white to green and green bdus acrosd the board for sworn officers. They finally went back to white cars but that was a cost thing more than image.

I think it was a bad change when Portland cops went from two tone unis to the LAPD look too. LAPD doesnt exactly garner warm n fuzzy feelings by general public.

Drop/offset hip holsters are better than thigh holsters anyway, both for draw and for running, and don't look nearly as tactical. Wish more departments used those instead of thigh rigs.

Upcoming Events

Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top