JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How Should Police Dress

• Professional Uniform, Pressed and Shined (Classic)

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • Utility Uniform, Function over Looks (Tactical)

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
We are having a lot of differences in philosophy department to department regarding how officers should look while on duty. Many departments have embraced outer vest carriers because they disperse weight more evenly over the shoulders versus having all of the weight on the hips and puts less pressure on the back. It allows us to carry more tools such as Tasers, pepper spray, radios, magazines, cuffs, medical kits, etc. without feeling a lot of the weight. We use molle type armor carriers so we can customize how we carry our equipment. All of my equipment, plus my soft body armor weighs roughly 25 pounds. Another benefit to wearing your gear on the vest is its a lot easier to take it off to go to the bathroom. It also allows us to wear BDU style pants and shirts that are much more flexible and are much easier to maintain.

A drawback is that it looks a lot more "tactical" or "militarized" and people have made complaints that we always look like SWAT, which is more alarming to neighbors and can be embarrassing for someone to explain to people they know. I understand this.

Other departments, such as Washington State Patrol, maintain that a professional uniform portrays an image of service over enforcement and is less threatening overall. Community members seem much less apprehensive when speaking to police when they are wearing a sharp, pressed uniform and don't look like "Rambo".

There is a lot of cost associated with destroyed uniforms and cleaning/maintenance. They aren't as easy to move around in and many smaller officers don't have the real estate available on the duty belt to carry the same equipment. A shooting by SPD and the Ferguson shooting raised questions of why there weren't more less-lethal options available to the officer. One of the reason is there just isn't enough space to carry that stuff on your belt if you are thinner framed.

There are other options such as outer vest carriers that are designed to look like the front of a uniform shirt, even with fake pockets and buttons that look like a standard shirt. They are as comfortable as the tactical vest but still require you to wear all of your gear on your belt.

So, what do you all think? Would you rather have police dressed for function or do you want them to assert their authority through a professional uniform? Its much like the difference between military utility uniforms vs. Class B uniforms.

How the public sees a police officer is more about how the laws are enforced and what laws they enforce. There is no sense of fairness when cops are used as tax collectors with the high fines imposed by politicians. It really isn't about how you look, it's what you do.

I rarely even see a cop, so I really couldn't care less what is worn. Whatever ya wear wont bother me at all. Now Fred doesn't like any kind of uniforms:p

How the public sees a police officer is more about how the laws are enforced and what laws they enforce. There is no sense of fairness when cops are used as tax collectors with the high fines imposed by politicians. It really isn't about how you look, it's what you do.

A "hard charger" I worked with always likes to remind me how much higher his arrest rates are than mine and I refuse to feed that troll. One day he was being obnoxious to everyone and my partner asked, "but how many of our cases are thrown out vs yours? How much actual prison time are your cases getting? Yeah, thought so."

Last Edited:
I wouldn't care how they dress. I think their comfort and ability to deal their job effectively and safely is more important than perception.
The scum of society will hate you no matter what you dress like, so dress what makes you more effective for keeping our community safe and keeping yourself safe.

Being a good or bad police officer is more about showing respect, acting professionally, and being the presence to command the safety and enforce laws.

You should be intimidating. The wrong people in society should be afraid of you. Those of us that obey the law and stand behind you won't be afraid of you. Only respect you.

Personally, if it were me then I would want the most usable gear I could find - regardless of looks.

As a civy, I agree with the above in that it is more in how I am treated and less what you look like - but I am a white male, 6'1" n 240lbs and have hardly ever been "harrases" by the police I have encountered in my personal and professional lives.

However, when I was young we were taught that the police are the good guys.

Now, its a mixed message and I have told my daughter that if she encounters LEO's - less info is better because I have seen that crap used against people.

So my end answer would be, ANYTHING the police can do to build thier relationship with community and get back to being seen as friends and protectors then I'd say that may be more important then a policemans comfort level.

I remember a story a while back about a traffic cop on Bangkok, which atleast used to have the worse traffic in the world, that would dance while he did his job. The reasoning was no one can get angry at a dancing man and I guess it worked.

It just goes and says how much perception goes far more then the actual work done.

I always recommend people to not answer questions that arent asked!

Don't get me wrong, almost every officer I've interacted with were salt of the earth type people and I greatly respect what y'all do.

As everyone knows though, it only takes one bad egg or unfortunate incident to make eveyone look like a thug.

Thanks for being one of the great ones!!!!:cool:

I don't have a problem with the chest rig for carrying plates, extra gear, etc. Police work is a lot more complicated than it used to be. Now with armor being standard issue, cameras coming down the line, 25 different 'non-lethal' methods of dealing with the bad folks, I don't blame them for modifying their gear. Either way, it doesn't really affect how I feel about them - unless they're walking up to my door with a battering ram and rifles at the ready :eek:

Like others have said, how they act is far more important. Almost every officer I've dealt with or just interacted with over the years have been decent folks. My next door neighbor is retired LEO. One of my last private sales pre-941 was retired LEO. Good folks.

Just leave the MRAPs and .50 cals at home, and I'm pretty good to go with either uniform :)

I can't answer the poll because I don't sit on either answer. Maybe add another that says something like "whatever works".

I saw some cops at the Starbucks in Sequim,well I thought it was some squad riding thru.
But yes indeed,it was the Suquamish? cops (just west of Baimbridge Isl.)
They were dressed all in military uniforms or swat garb
Y'all say you don't care what they look like,but when the come to your neighborhood for a problem,do you really want it to look like the Nat Guard coming to ask who the noisy drunk is?
Do these uniforms make the LEO feel more like soldiers?
Most important,is this softening us up for when the LEO isn't really LEO anymore but it is the soldiers coming?
I truly think if we had a vote,we should keep the cops looking like cops and not like soldiers

I too will add that I don't care what you wear. It would help if the color stays blue and not digicam or urban camo. Puts me on edge to see a cop wearing camo and a rifle ready or slung. That is intimidating on any level. Just like any person calls the cops on a person open carrying a rifle, I too would feel the same seeing a police officer doing something rather routinely with an AR compared to a holstered pistol.

My main gripe is with police attitudes. I've only had limited interactions with police, most being a ok. There was one time were the guy just refused to treat me like a human. I stayed calm and polite, but couldn't help being furious after he left at the way my wife and I were treated. It made me feel like a peasant and he was the master and no matter what I said it did I was to shut up and comply with his every smallest gesture.

You mean like this ? copcostume.gif

But Seriously, the more military cops look the more they think they are para-military and not police. When police start to dress like they are on the line and are writing you a speeding ticket something is very wrong.

I saw some cops at the Starbucks in Sequim,well I thought it was some squad riding thru.
But yes indeed,it was the Suquamish? cops (just west of Baimbridge Isl.)
They were dressed all in military uniforms or swat garb
Y'all say you don't care what they look like,but when the come to your neighborhood for a problem,do you really want it to look like the Nat Guard coming to ask who the noisy drunk is?
Do these uniforms make the LEO feel more like soldiers?
Most important,is this softening us up for when the LEO isn't really LEO anymore but it is the soldiers coming?
I truly think if we had a vote,we should keep the cops looking like cops and not like soldiers

This is exactly where I am going with this. I really like being comfortable, not busting the azz out of a pair of pants every month, and not having to press uniforms and shine boots. I like having the weight on my shoulders rather than on my hips. But, I hate embarrassing some old lady in her neughborhood in front of her neighbors because her kid is a screw-up.

My department forbids camo.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top